• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why we can kiss the US economy goodbye

If you want to invest in the stock market then think long term and you are bound to make money from blue chips. So nobody can influence you if you know the market well.

This is why the book is counterfactual nonsense. The economy of the US, as represented by bluechips, is just fine and is likely to be even better in the future.

I salute him. He writes a book, earns the money instead of lining up for food stamps.

If he follows his own investment advice and bets on industrial collapse, he will be on food stamps. Just ask the survivalist tea party types who bought gold for the last year. What dopes.

Imagep,

We are nowhere near full production as the sum of individual output in our nation. Today, you could offer me X, and if I sufficiently wanted it (And there are things I want that much), I would work more than I would have otherwise worked before your intervention. Before your marketing. That can be extended quite far out there until we reach a point where any additional effort on my part is not worth the outcome (could literally work to death!).

If you add this up in our entire population, the potential output, the already existing demand, is staggering. And it's not just hours in a day. Everyone is likely at job that they do not use their full potential even in the hours they already work. If someone finds a way to utilize that extra potential output even within the current work day, again, it's hugely valuable (globalization is a gigantic example of this playing out in real time today)

All of this adds up to the undeniable fact that within our current economy, there is a significant amount of productive wealth that is not currently tapped. Keep going though. There are people with unproductive investments right now, if you were able to sell them on a more productive idea, and you delivered, that money...we're not even talking about human potential at this point (it ends up as human potential but it starts as money), again you through a behavior choice, created value in the marketplace that otherwise would not have been there. Even if you denied all of this, you can still imagine that there are tools and technology laying around decaying right now, that if you utilized them, you could create value. If that value enhanced by those tools (pathA), exceeded your alternative behaviors (if you chose not to use those tools, call that pathB), then you created value yes?

Surely you see how we are nowhere near any theoretical maximum capacity. For practical purposes on the day to day, it's INFINITE. In reality, of course it's not infinite, but a single individual could never in their lifetime through their individual actions create a situation where the world was at max capacity. So for practical purposes, infinite. Infinite is a bit misleading though, because it gets progressively harder as we get more output. But we're nowhere near it being too difficult to make huge gains, so yeah.

So what you are saying is that we need to do more advertising?

You don't think that most people are pretty much already that the advertising saturation point?

And are you suggesting that the typical Joe has the ability to work unlimited overtime and get paid for it?

A large portion of our population already spends every dime that they make, and every dollar that they can borrow. I really can't see that more advertising is going to somehow magically give them any more money to spend.

Or maybe I am just to dense to understand what your point is.

...Obamageddon...

Hilarious. I will have to remember that.

And four years from now, I wonder if we will be calling everything that our new president says "Hilarious" (get it?)

We have a pretty diverse collection of investments but, I'm of the opinion that unless one can feed, water, cloth and protect their family and themselves if and when the SHTF, none of those other investments will mean squat.

The ****'s hit the fan before: Civil War, two world wars, depressions, panics. Most things change. The only constants are American industry, ingenuity, and a rising stock market.

Hilarious. I will have to remember that.

And four years from now, I wonder if we will be calling everything that our new president says "Hilarious" (get it?)

Looks like Hillary's biden her time. Argh, argh!

The ****'s hit the fan before: Civil War, two world wars, depressions, panics. Most things change. The only constants are American industry, ingenuity, and a rising stock market.

If you're still alive to enjoy them.

If you're still alive to enjoy them.

Why wouldn't I be? I don't need much to live: A shrimp net, a crab pot, a flounder gig, a fishing pole, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a charcoal grill should suffice. I'll also keep at least one gun and some ammo to defend myself and my wife from the wandering, starving hordes, I suppose.

Why wouldn't I be? I don't need much to live: A shrimp net, a crab pot, a flounder gig, a fishing pole, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a charcoal grill should suffice. I'll also keep at least one gun and some ammo to defend myself and my wife from the wandering, starving hordes, I suppose.

That's pretty minimalist but, I'd give your Wife a gun also. 8)

BTW: I thought you live in Fly-over country?

Got this right.

Anybody who thinks they need to buy gold and ostrich farms is going to miss out

I thought you live in Fly-over country?

I do. Flyover Country is anywhere between New York and California. You know, where the hoi polloi live? I'm sure Mississippi qualifies.

Back
Top Bottom