• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why was Bin Laden buried at sea?

Helvidius

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Why would Osama Bin Laden's body be buried at sea? This makes little sense and I find it somewhat suspicious.

What else are you going to do with him? Any country or group that would be willing to take him is probably one that we don't want to give him to. You can't bury him in the US for obvious reasons. Saudi Arabia is a possibility, but anywhere you bury him is going to become a terrorist landmark. Sea was the best option IMO

Fast track to crab chow...done...gone...no ceremony...no dancing on his grave. No opportunity for others to celebrate him or to use him as a martyr. Done...gone...good riddance. May all his 72 virgins be 600+ pound gay sumo's with a penchant for giving and not receiving.

From my understanding its Muslim tradition to bury the dead within 24 hours of death. At sea you know its a long trip to land, and no country really wanted to take claim to his grave so really only other option and respect to the religion of Islam was to do a sea burial...

From my understanding its Muslim tradition to bury the dead within 24 hours of death. At sea you know its a long trip to land, and no country really wanted to take claim to his grave so really only other option and respect to the religion of Islam was to do a sea burial...

Muslim tradition suggests bodies should be buried on land unless at sea where the body will decay before reaching land. So it seems we have insulted Islamists in our effort to maintain their tradition. The US is being criticized for our actions concerning his burial. I think, if we were serious in not trying to offend our enemies, we should have given the body over to his family.

Muslim tradition suggests bodies should be buried on land unless at sea where the body will decay before reaching land. So it seems we have insulted Islamists in our effort to maintain their tradition. The US is being criticized for our actions concerning his burial. I think, if we were serious in not trying to offend our enemies, we should have given the body over to his family.

I don't think that we give two bits of a **** what pro-Osama supporters find offensive.
We killed the mother ****er.
We put a bullet through his scummy ****ing head.

If he had to have a proper burial to avoid eternal damnation or something - then HA ****ING HA . . . I GUESS he doesn't get what he wants. I guess none of them do.

I respect Islam on a basic level - the same of which I respect all religions. But we have more important things to do than kowtow to the traditions of the enemy when we finally pick them off.

Last edited:

Well we tried our best and i give respect to the US Military/US gov respect to (maybe) trying their best not to insult the religion of Islam...

Well we tried our best and i give respect to the US Military/US gov respect to (maybe) trying their best not to insult the religion of Islam...

I honestly see this more as trying to put the issue away as soon as possible.

Do you think his family would want it?

Yeah, why wouldn't they? Bin Laden had a big family, some of whom agreed with what he was doing.

Here's the only thing I can find about his family:

“The general mood in the family is that this was a page of history that’s closed and that family members hope there will be no violent responses,” Batarfi said in a telephone interview today from the Saudi port city of Jeddah.

Bin Laden

It's so his burial location would not be turned into a shrine.

The only Islamists that will take grave offense to this are the ones who hate us anyway. Good riddance to their opinions.

In my opinion, any Muslim who is offended at his being buried at sea is "owning" him as a Muslim. I believe they should disown him, and not care how he was disposed of. As such I really don't care what anyone, including any Muslims, think about how we disposed of him. We did the most expedient thing possible. I would have been really upset if he had been buried at some known site.

That said, I am glad to hear many Muslims doing just as I have suggested: disowning him, and not caring what happened to him.

I predict 20% of teabaggers will believe there is some hidden conspiracy behind the ocean burial, including it was not osama, or he got away.

This...
Fast track to crab chow...done...gone...no ceremony...no dancing on his grave. No opportunity for others to celebrate him or to use him as a martyr. Done...gone...good riddance.
His family didn't want his body, no country would take him. No use making making his grave a symbol for future terrorists. Plus, they did respect the cultural traditions. No use inflaming people or offending moderate practitioners of that religion. All we needed was the DNA proof, we didn't need the body.

Last edited:
Why would Osama Bin Laden's body be buried at sea? This makes little sense and I find it somewhat suspicious.

No shrine for the would-be martyr........

It's so his burial location would not be turned into a shrine.

and the CIA can send the Taliban his turban filled with a couple mackerel to symbolize that Obama

Sleeps with da fishes!!!

and the CIA can send the Taliban his turban filled with a couple mackerel to symbolize that Obama
Sleeps with da fishes!!!

Add traces of whale dung, symbolizing the depth to which his rotten soul sank.

Eh, I frankly don't care what they did with the body. Personally, I'd have shrouded it in pighide and burned it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the body was actually in the cooler in a top-secret military site, since I find it difficult to believe that after they put the bullet in his brain they were able to escape to Kabul, video and photograph the body, take various tissue samples and perform an autopsy (Islamic tradition or not, you know they did all this), then fly 1,500 miles in a chopper to the deck of a ship for a formal burial within 24 hours.

Sounds like a scenario concocted to appease Muslims as a whole and appear that we had followed Islamic burial traditions, when in fact it was impossible to do so. A picture of Osama in a morgue drawer will probably pop up on Wikileaks next month. ;)

Given Osama's history towards America, I say screw tradition. If it was up to me, his body would be taken to a tiny island in the middle of the ocean somewhere (not owned by any country), bury him there and never tell anyone where it is.

Given Osama's history towards America, I say screw tradition. If it was up to me, his body would be taken to a tiny island in the middle of the ocean somewhere (not owned by any country), bury him there and never tell anyone where it is.

what a waste of time, money - and good green earth.

The ocean is good.

Back
Top Bottom