• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why try to find "the" alligator?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Disney alligator attack: Investigation continues - CNN.com

As a family mourns the death of their son, investigators are trying to pinpoint which alligator grabbed the 2-year-old and pulled him into a lagoon near a Walt Disney World hotel.

Why? So it can be killed?
Which will change what?

Here's an idea, put signs around open bodies of water, rivers, creeks, and certainly on BEACHES that resorts own and manage that dangerous alligators may be present, but not easily seen.

This notion that a wild animal, doing what wild animals do, somehow get's a "taste for humans" is rather silly.

And how does anyone at this point "identify" the alligator that got the child?
According to news releases I saw the body was intact and only puncture wounds were evident. The child was not eaten.
Most likely drowned. So how does one "identify" the specific alligator?

Just seems really silly.

Which will change what?

Here's an idea, put signs around open bodies of water, rivers, creeks, and certainly on BEACHES that resorts own and manage that dangerous alligators may be present, but not easily seen.

This notion that a wild animal, doing what wild animals do, somehow get's a "taste for humans" is rather silly.

According to news releases I saw the body was intact and only puncture wounds were evident. The child was not eaten.

Just seems really silly.

Vengeance!!

kill them all, let God sort them out. :mrgreen:

I see the removal of the animal or killing no different from how we handle other animal problems. Sometimes bears are just relocated, some times bears are killed when they become a problem with interactions with humans.

Not sure how wildlife officials could ID the alligator that took the child. Maybe through matching teeth to puncher wounds, possible dna from residual tissue left in the animals mouth.

It was a tragic accident. I feel for the family.

I'm sure all the other alligators will take heed so as not to end up in the same predicament.

It's an old family that learns new tricks poorly.

Which will change what?

Just seems really silly.

Alligators who lose their natural fear of man are dangerous for obvious reasons. This is the reason that feeding wild alligators is a felony. Alligators have a very tiny brain when they associate food with humans, humans as food is the result.

Which will change what?

Just seems really silly.

It doesn't make sense , it doesn't matter which gator was the one , they are dead . Spend more time and effort comforting the family and make adjustments so this never happens again . A sign or two could have helped . Disney is so worried about ads on how kid friendly they are , and not so much about the hazards they may encounter .:-(

It doesn't make sense , it doesn't matter which gator was the one , they are dead . Spend more time and effort comforting the family and make adjustments so this never happens again . A sign or two could have helped . Disney is so worried about ads on how kid friendly they are , and not so much about the hazards they may encounter .:-(

Disney has had that lake in Florida for 45 years without incident. It is important to realize the rarity of such a tragedy. It is a 1 in million type event if not even rarer. There were no swimming signs nearby from the reports I have read.

Which will change what?

Just seems really silly.

Why?
Because it gives the illusion of doing something to "fix" the "problem."
The "problem" is that wild animals don't respect human rules.

Which will change what?

You know, it's funny, that the people who are calling for this alligator's execution today are probably the same who were up in arms over the zoo killing that gorilla a couple weeks ago.

And the people who were screaming the loudest that the negligent, distracted, or just plain lousy mother was at fault for her child climbing in to the gorilla enclosure are probably the same people who today are blaming the alligator, Disney, the state of Florida, God, and everyone other than the parents who allowed their toddler to wade knee-deep in an alligator-infested Florida lake.

You just can't make people happy.

You know, it's funny, that the people who are calling for this alligator's execution today are probably the same who were up in arms over the zoo killing that gorilla a couple weeks ago.

Is that your (wild) guess?

Why?
Because it gives the illusion of doing something to "fix" the "problem."
The "problem" is that wild animals don't respect human rules.

Alligators naturally fear humans and attacks are extremely rare considering their numbers. Specific alligators that have lost that fear for whatever reason are dangerous and must be destroyed because they will attack again.

Disney has had that lake in Florida for 45 years without incident. It is important to realize the rarity of such a tragedy. It is a 1 in million type event if not even rarer. There were no swimming signs nearby from the reports I have read.

No swimming and BEWARE OF GATORS is vastly different ! Again spend less on ads ( MILLIONS )telling us how family friendly Disney is and put aside $200 on signs stating beware of gators ! I'm sure YOU and Disney are aware many from areas where gators are nonexistent , would NOT aware a resort may have gators in it .

And the people who were screaming the loudest that the negligent, distracted, or just plain lousy mother was at fault for her child climbing in to the gorilla enclosure are probably the same people who today are blaming the alligator, Disney, the state of Florida, God, and everyone other than the parents who allowed their toddler to wade knee-deep in an alligator-infested Florida lake.

You just can't make people happy.

It is not natural for alligators to prey on humans and it is very rare. Those that do must be destroyed because they have lost their natural fear of humans and will attack again. The gorilla is a entirely different story as they are far more intelligent relatives of humans and are an endangered species. That killing could have been avoided.

Alligators naturally fear humans and attacks are extremely rare considering their numbers. Specific alligators that have lost that fear for whatever reason are dangerous and must be destroyed because they will attack again.

This human was not your typical though.
It was a small child, which could of easily been mistaken for regular prey.

Is that your (wild) guess?

No, actually I was "arguing" about it with some people on Facebook this morning - people who I know to have been in the "why'd they have to kill that poor gorilla" camp but are now saying the parents should sue Disney.

People all over aren't really all that different so it stands to reason that if they're doing it on my Facebook feed I could probably, if I cared to look, find people here at DP or anywhere else.

Why the snarky and defensive response?

Did I hit a nerve or something?

LOL

I did, didn't I?

You were one of those knuckleheads who was crying that the mother was at fault and that the poor, endangered gorilla only had to die because of human greed and negligence but are now firmly of the mind (given your mosquito eradication comment above) that it's actually Disney's fault for not clearing the entire state of Florida of large predatory reptiles prior to building a park there.

It is not natural for alligators to prey on humans and it is very rare. Those that do must be destroyed because they have lost their natural fear of humans and will attack again. The gorilla is a entirely different story as they are far more intelligent relatives of humans and are an endangered species. That killing could have been avoided.

oh come on....

#1) Florida is chock full of gaters.
#2) each and every gater, given the right set of circumstances would kill a small child, dog, cat, fox (does the gator know the difference ...no, it doesn't)
#3) gaters are predators. They kill and eat things to survive. Are you suggesting every single gater in Florida be exterminated?

No swimming and BEWARE OF GATORS is vastly different ! Again spend less on ads ( MILLIONS )telling us how family friendly Disney is and put aside $200 on signs stating beware of gators ! I'm sure YOU and Disney are aware many from areas where gators are nonexistent , would NOT aware a resort may have gators in it .

No one expected there to be a danger from alligators, they are not natural predators of humans. This was a freak accident and not negligence if that is what you are thinking. Lightning kills far more people in Florida than alligators.

Last edited:
Why didn't the alligator eat the baby? Anyone know?

oh come on....

#1) Florida is chock full of gaters.
#2) each and every gater, given the right set of circumstances would kill a small child, dog, cat, fox (does the gator know the difference ...no, it doesn't)
#3) gaters are predators. They kill and eat things to survive. Are you suggesting every single gater in Florida be exterminated?

#1) Gators are not natural predators of humans. 99.99% of them run when they see a human. They will attack dogs or other small pets though.
2#) Specific gators that have lost their natural fear of humans are very dangerous and must be destroyed
3#) Feeding alligators is the most common cause of gators that attack humans. I have to wonder if that might not be the case with this incident. It may have been getting fed by someone in the past.

Last edited:

I don't disagree that the signs should be more clear, but they wouldn't have helped in this case. The family was watching a movie in an area designated for that purpose by Disney and did not wander off of it and into danger.

Back
Top Bottom