• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why try to find "the" alligator?

Research Disney and you will NOT see at our RESORT you will encounter GATORS !!! :lamo :roll: :shock:

Thanks for proving my point regarding your views on life. :lamo

Disney alligator attack: Investigation continues - CNN.com

Why? So it can be killed?
Which will change what?

Here's an idea, put signs around open bodies of water, rivers, creeks, and certainly on BEACHES that resorts own and manage that dangerous alligators may be present, but not easily seen.

This notion that a wild animal, doing what wild animals do, somehow get's a "taste for humans" is rather silly.

And how does anyone at this point "identify" the alligator that got the child?
According to news releases I saw the body was intact and only puncture wounds were evident. The child was not eaten.
Most likely drowned. So how does one "identify" the specific alligator?

Just seems really silly.

If it were a mammal, say a bear gone rogue, then it wouldn't be silly. Mammals learn behaviors, including attacking humans. Reptiles simply react to stimuli. That particular alligator is no more likely to attack than any other alligator would be.

But, people will feel safer if the attacking alligator is killed. They won't be any safer, of course, but they will feel safer.

What we need to do is put up signs saying, "Hey, we killed the dangerous alligator. Now it's safe to go swimming." That should help natural selection along a bit, don't you think?

Thanks for proving my point regarding your views on life. :lamo

Thanks for being open minded and seeing all sides ! :roll: I'm certain Disney will be trying to settle with the family in a speedy manner , even though you KNOW they are not responsible !
This isn't a case of spilling HOT coffee in your lap case . I very rarely agree with cases like that , but this is much ,much different . Disney is a place for children !!! Sad you don't see the difference . :doh

Good luck with that. One attack in 45 years is not negligence.

Watch and learn , Disney will settle OUT OF COURT !!!! Unless you are on that hung jury , being the sole hold out ! :lamo

If it were a mammal, say a bear gone rogue, then it wouldn't be silly. Mammals learn behaviors, including attacking humans. Reptiles simply react to stimuli. That particular alligator is no more likely to attack than any other alligator would be.

But, people will feel safer if the attacking alligator is killed. They won't be any safer, of course, but they will feel safer.

What we need to do is put up signs saying, "Hey, we killed the dangerous alligator. Now it's safe to go swimming." That should help natural selection along a bit, don't you think?

You don't know alligators. The alligator that attacked the child was not behaving like others in the park. The others were not in the vicinity of so many humans. This one had lost his fear and was probably fed by tourists at the resort. That made him dangerous when most alligators are not. We learn to live with gators here in Florida and not to feed them. They are all over. They are n golf course water hazards, we find them in our swimming pools and sunning in our yards. It is amazing how few attacks there are considering their numbers. We do need to keep an eye on our dogs though.

Last edited:
Thanks for being open minded and seeing all sides ! :roll: I'm certain Disney will be trying to settle with the family in a speedy manner , even though you KNOW they are not responsible !
This isn't a case of spilling HOT coffee in your lap case . I very rarely agree with cases like that , but this is much ,much different . Disney is a place for children !!! Sad you don't see the difference . :doh

So sad you misrepresent my views. :mrgreen:

Do we agree it was a tragic accident?

You don't know alligators. The alligator that attacked the child was not behaving like others in the park. The others were not in the vicinity of so many humans. This one had lost his fear and was probably fed by tourists at the resort. That made him dangerous when most alligators are not.

My point , most of us DON'T know alligators and most of us would NOT imagine there would be gators at a Disney RESORT designed for CHILDREN !!!

Watch and learn , Disney will settle OUT OF COURT !!!! Unless you are on that hung jury , being the sole hold out ! :lamo

Of course they will because Disney WANTS to make good for that poor family. They are heartbroken over it, I'm sure. That does not make it their fault though. It was a freak accident.

My point , most of us DON'T know alligators and most of us would NOT imagine there would be gators at a Disney RESORT designed for CHILDREN !!!

LOL Not if you are a Floridian. There are gators here wherever there is fresh water and Disney has a TON of that. They have been here for millions of years and are protected residents that by and large are good neighbors. Lightening kills far more people than gators in Florida.

LOL Not if you are a Floridian. There are gators here wherever there is fresh water and Disney has a TON of that. They have been here for millions of years and are protected residents that by and large are good neighbors. Lightening kills far more people than gators in Florida.

Well too bad you didn't bother to find out where this family lives . I'll give you a hint NOT FLORIDA !!! :shock:

Of course they will because Disney WANTS to make good for that poor family. They are heartbroken over it, I'm sure. That does not make it their fault though. It was a freak accident.

We agree it was an accident BUT one that Disney should have foreseen . Because as YOU put it they are Floridians .

Over one billion have visited Disney, ONE has a terrible accident with an alligator.

One. 45 years and one child.

That's a safety record that's just insane.

Disney alligator attack: Investigation continues - CNN.com

Why? So it can be killed?
Which will change what?

Here's an idea, put signs around open bodies of water, rivers, creeks, and certainly on BEACHES that resorts own and manage that dangerous alligators may be present, but not easily seen.

This notion that a wild animal, doing what wild animals do, somehow get's a "taste for humans" is rather silly.

And how does anyone at this point "identify" the alligator that got the child?
According to news releases I saw the body was intact and only puncture wounds were evident. The child was not eaten.
Most likely drowned. So how does one "identify" the specific alligator?

Just seems really silly.

More importanly, what color was the alligator, and was it forced into this by corporate greed? Is Disney providing its gators with a minimum chicken wage?

Over one billion have visited Disney, ONE has a terrible accident with an alligator.

One. 45 years and one child.

That's a safety record that's just insane.

My friend that one CHILD too dam many !!!!!

Well too bad you didn't bother to find out where this family lives . I'll give you a hint NOT FLORIDA !!! :shock:

It's Nebraska, specifically Elkhorn a suburb of Omaha, where I live. Very tragic indeed and like most Nebraskans, I'm sure they did not anticipate the actual dangers of an alligator especially at a resort holding a night movie next to the water.

When a bear, an alligator, or any other predator loses the fear of humans and begins to hunt them.

There's no indication or reasonable process of thought that suggests this one alligator was hunting humans.

That lake has so much human activity in it all year round it's not funny.

The alligator was an opportunist. Wrong place at wrong time for child. Right place at wrong time for alligator.
Kid was probably splashing away in water. Might have sounded like a struggling animal in water. Probably stirred up sand and/or mud.
Alligator was acting on instinct. Not some instant desire to try some human for a change.

Tragic accident.
Not science-fiction movie with "evil" alligator with a "desire" to eat human flesh.

Learn the lesson. Don't repeat it.

Like most of the BILLION people that have visited Disney over 45 years and NOT been attacked by an alligator. It is a freak accident possibly caused by foolish tourists feeding the gator causing him to hang around that resort. Gators do not normally prey on humans.

My friend that one CHILD too dam many !!!!!

We'd better damn well get rid of cars then. Airplanes. Swimming pools. Bicycles. Cribs. Blankets. Water buckets.

It was a tragic accident.

You can't remove accidents from life. You just can't.

More importanly, what color was the alligator, and was it forced into this by corporate greed? Is Disney providing its gators with a minimum chicken wage?

You forgot to ask if it was armed with an AR-15.

This is a Disney RESORT NOT A BEACH !!!

So what?

Myrtle Beach is a vacation destination which thrives on families coming and enjoying it's beautiful beaches, and the ocean.

If a shark eats a child, is Myrtle Beach or South Carolina responsible for that?

Again, there are no signs warning swimmers and/or beach walkers that there are sharks in the ocean.

There's no indication or reasonable process of thought that suggests this one alligator was hunting humans.

Hunted. A Human. Claiming that there's no indication he was doing so is like arguing there is no evidence to suggest that Barack Obama is President of the United States.

I guess we will never know what difference it would have made . But Disney is responsible !

Sure we will.

They were in an area that would not have had a sign because it was an area specifically designated as safe for watching movies, which is what this family was doing. We know with 100% certainty updating their signs would have made no difference because they weren't in a location that would have had a sign.

Back
Top Bottom