• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Trump Will Lose The Government Shutdown Fight

No you don't understand what control of government means when you use that term. I explained this too you as well and you didn't get it.

So in the house all you need to control the house is a majority of the votes.
in the senate to really control the senate you need 60 votes which is almost impossible to get, but it has happened.

anything other than 60 votes in the senate requires you to come up with a compromised bill that can get 60 votes to over come a filibuster.
so while Republicans were in charge of the senate (a better term to use) they did not have full control of the senate as they didn't have 60 votes
required.

He has been asking for a wall since he became president. You don't seem to know what you are talking about.
yes so far you are not doing that well in these discussions as you ignore facts.

I know all of that. So does everyone else.

Now that we (you) keep posting something that the rest of us aren't talking about, let's get back to the discussion.

If this was a "crisis" why didn't Trump and his party try to address it before the Democrats took control of the House? Go ahead and answer that, even though you can't.

Liberals would love to come together with republicans and solve these problems.........but unfortunately the republicans can only offer untenable arguments to support their claims. If republicans could be honest, it might happen, but not until then.

IE give dem's want they want or else they will continue crying.

sorry doens't work like that. the dem's were given some things they want they are still crying.
if only dem's could be honest. lmao.

Last check for food stamps goes out today, according to our local news.

How much has he shrunk the government?

I hate to speak on the behalf of Trump supporters, but he has shrunk the parts of government that they wanted shrunk. Which is basically everything other than the military, I would guess. I am pretty sure that if these federal workers never come back to work, it will be perfectly fine by the Trump base.

For example, the TSA: Who needs security on flights if they are allowed to carry all their firearms on to every plane? You can have a regular shootout at the OK corral at 30,000 feet on every flight, and they will be perfectly fine with that. It’s the price of freedom, you see.

And so what if people don’t have health insurance? Just tie a tourniquet around their arm, cut a vein, and bleed them into a basin for a little bit. Takes care of everything. If they’reshot in the arm, just chop it off. That’s what we did when America was great, and healthcare costs were low.

You have to realize, these people have a very different view of the world than the rest of us in the modern world. They still live some time in the 19th century, in the frontier wild west, sometime a few years after the Civil War.

Last edited:
I know all of that. So does everyone else.

Now that we (you) keep posting something that the rest of us aren't talking about, let's get back to the discussion.

If this was a "crisis" why didn't Trump and his party try to address it before the Democrats took control of the House? Go ahead and answer that, even though you can't.

This has already been explained to you i don't know why you still don't get it. i mean is it on purpose or what?
The bill was passed before they gained control of the house.

do you not understand that? The republican congress passed a budget bill it contained funding for the wall etc ...
the senate democrats filibustered the bill. this also lead by the way to the shut down that is currently going on.

this is about as plain and as simple as it gets. if you still don't get it then well it is on you.
I have answered it like 5 times now and you still either don't get it or can't understand it which is your issue and no one else's.

I hate to speak on the behalf of Trump supporters, but he has shrunk the parts of government that they wanted shrunk. Which is basically everything other than the military, I would guess. I am pretty sure that if these federal workers never come back to work, it will be perfectly fine by the Trump base.

For example, the TSA: Who needs security on flights if they are allowed to carry all their firearms on to every plane? You can have a regular shootout at the OK corral at 30,000 feet on every flight, and they will be perfectly fine with that. It’s the price of freedom, you see.

You have to realize, these people have a very different view of the world and we are in the modern world know. They still live some time in the 19th century, in the frontier wild west, sometime a few years after the Civil War.

i have to wonder what you have to read to think this kind of trash and garbage up let alone spew it on the internet.

I love how the Trump administration provides this joke of a list to the Washington Examiner, who then prints it as if it were their own, and then Trump points back to it as some sort of validation of success. And then his supporters re-post it with frothing at the mouth, reckless abandon. It is a vicious, self-feeding loop of inanity.

“It isn’t over til it’s over”.

I can’t get over the fact that Trumpites haven’t realized they’ve been had.

Mexico was supposed to pay for the wall, it was supposed to be “easy” and yet here we are, Trump and Trump country are howling at the moon that Democrats make that money available immediately for... a wall?

No a barrier.

No, “border security”.

Yes. They are now denying he intended Mexico to make an initial payment (and that's been posted all over here now) and have conveniently released The Donald from this as well:

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

Last edited:
This has already been explained to you i don't know why you still don't get it. i mean is it on purpose or what?

do you not understand that? The republican congress passed a budget bill it contained funding for the wall etc ...
the senate democrats filibustered the bill. this also lead by the way to the shut down that is currently going on.

this is about as plain and as simple as it gets. if you still don't get it then well it is on you.
I have answered it like 5 times now and you still either don't get it or can't understand it which is your issue and no one else's.

Why don't you deal with the funding bills passed in late December?

You remember right? The bipartisan funding bill the Senate passed 98-2.

he isn't. that has been the rule since the 1930's with you FDR. It was expanded in the 80's by jimmy carter himself.
he deemed and so did the congress that certain federal workers were to be classified as important.

Meaning without them there would cause major issues and huge disruptions in day to day processes. see 80's traffic controller airstrike.
please know what you are talking about before making such ridiculous statements.

You know for all your insults of others and THEIR knowledge you sure are one un-educated individual

Not only that, this post is troll bait.

So PLEASE be offended when I ignore you.

The President is a patriot.

When he leaves the White House, he wants to know that he was able to build a "barrier" to help protect our country from people who think that they have a God-given right to just walk in here whenever they feel like it.

I hope that he does not blink.

He should stay strong until the Dems demand that Nancy and Chuck come to the table.

If his firmness destroys his chance at reelection, he will be able to return to his business knowing that millions of Americans thank him for doing the best job he could, despite the unrelenting opposition from people whose motives are suspect.

The problem is, Republicans have been so heavy-handed, the last administration and this one, that many Democrats are just enjoying watching The Donald get shoved into a corner and burned on his own words: "Mexico will pay for the wall" and “I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

His legacy will be **** and you may be right that this is an egotistical attempt to show otherwise. But a wall that doesnt actually do what's promised is a waste of $$....great legacy, eh?

there is a thing called a filibuster you should probably look it up.
you have been told this before but ignored it for some reason.

How many times did the Democrats filibuster legislation in the Senate designed to deal with "immigration, drugs, crime, etc." during the two years the Trumplicans had full control of Government?

So you believe foreigners should have voice in our political affairs? I don't.

Of course they do. They often have a different perspective.

Trump is a joke in other countries, it's a huge embarrassment. No wonder you want to shut out their views.

At this point, Trump is just a tool for Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, and Sean Hannity. They are the people really running the executive branch right now. Trump is just their mouthpiece. Pelosi needs to just skip the middleman Trump and negotiate with them directly. If she can get them to relent, Trump will follow.

Ah, you may be right...he does respond to their dog whistles.

I wasn't talking about a bill. Can you please pay attention?

I hate to tell you but the dem's in the senate still filibustered the bill at the time.
so there you have it. please see filibuster.

Are you sure about that? Are you really, really sure? A call for a cloture vote was made? Are you positive?

And so what if people don’t have health insurance? Just tie a tourniquet around their arm, cut a vein, and bleed them into a basin for a little bit. Takes care of everything. If they’reshot in the arm, just chop it off. That’s what we did when America was great, and healthcare costs were low.

You have to realize, these people have a very different view of the world than the rest of us in the modern world. They still live some time in the 19th century, in the frontier wild west, sometime a few years after the Civil War.

True. They miss the Jim Crow days.

Trump will not lose the shutdown fight as being a psychopath he has no empathy for anyone else. He will stay the course as long as it takes, knowing that others do care. It is really up to the GOP leaders to do something as the Dems seem entrenched in their position that no bargaining take place until the bills are passed the government reopened.

If that's the case, it will be ok...one can 'win' the battle but still lose the war.

The reactions to those 'wins' often motivate more than if the opposition had won.

For reference, I recommend looking up Hetch Hetchy.

Liberals would love to come together with republicans and solve these problems.........but unfortunately the republicans can only offer untenable arguments to support their claims. If republicans could be honest, it might happen, but not until then.

Seriously? When have they actually wanted or tried to work with Trump or the GOP?

Yes he is...a great Russian patriot.
I am certain that when he escapes the surly bonds of our great nation and its legal system and arrives in Moscow, Vladimir will do for him what he did for Steven Seagal when HE was running away.

Award him honorary Russian citizenship.

View attachment 67248461

The Democrats felt it was unfair for some Republicans to say that President Obama was born in another country.

So Republicans feel it is unfair for some Democrats to say that President Trump is in the pocket of Russia.

Isn't it time for supporters of both parties to grow up?

Isn't it time to show at least a modicum of respect for whoever is president?

Of course they do. They often have a different perspective.

Trump is a joke in other countries, it's a huge embarrassment. No wonder you want to shut out their views.

You are sadly mistaken. Must be thinking about Obama. He's about as close to a foreigner we've ever had.

The Democrats felt it was unfair for some Republicans to say that President Obama was born in another country.

So Republicans feel it is unfair for some Democrats to say that President Trump is in the pocket of Russia.

You guys lost your legal case re Obama being born in another country...even though many of you refuse to accept that fact.
Watch this space.

Hate has taken over their party. Hard to call back the decency. [just notice the things they say here on this site]

You keep repeating the bold above. It is fascinating to me. You seem so positive that the Senate Democrats filibustered the House legislation at the end of the last session. Are you positive that is what happened?

Back
Top Bottom