• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Trump followers will continue to support him no matter what!!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump will never admit to having made a mistake and his followers are the same. They can not admit to having made a mistake, even when the evidence says otherwise. That is why they go along with his "fake news". They have to see any negative articles about trump as fake news or they have to admit to having made a mistake voting for him which they will not allow themselves to do. So don't expect Trump's true believers to ever back away from their worship of trump.

It's collectively known as a "cult of personality".

It’s also human nature. Studies have shown that when a person’s beliefs or positions are challenged they are more likely to hold on to those beliefs even more strongly rather than reevaluate their position. It is a human tendency that can be overcome, but it requires effort and a will to do so.

It’s also human nature. Studies have shown that when a person’s beliefs or positions are challenged they are more likely to hold on to those beliefs even more strongly rather than reevaluate their position. It is a human tendency that can be overcome, but it requires effort and a will to do so.

Agreed, with the caveat that this holds true for BOTH sides of an issue, especially in our current political climate.

Agreed, with the caveat that this holds true for BOTH sides of an issue, especially in our current political climate.

I was hoping my use of the word “human” implied it applied to both sides. ;)

Trump will never admit to having made a mistake and his followers are the same. They can not admit to having made a mistake, even when the evidence says otherwise. That is why they go along with his "fake news". They have to see any negative articles about trump as fake news or they have to admit to having made a mistake voting for him which they will not allow themselves to do. So don't expect Trump's true believers to ever back away from their worship of trump.

The premise is incorrect. They didn't make a "mistake." They got exactly what they wanted.

The only outcome they didn't bank on was all the investigations. They believed that since their choice was a protest against the system (and an expression of hatred for Clinton), there shouldn't have to be consequences for anything Trump does.

Yes, that's called the backfire effect. And while I don't doubt there's some measure of that going on, I don't believe that's the primary explanation for what's happening here or else his approval would have changed since inauguration rather than remaining practically the same. The only explanation for that is their certainty that they got precisely what they wanted.

In the two years since he became President, there are some narratives we tell ourselves to sleep better at night that we're going to have to drop. If we don't, the refusal to face reality is going to make facing Trump in 2020 much more difficult than it needs to be.

1)Trump is not an idiot. Yes, he's selectively ignorant, but that's not the same thing as being stupid.
2)His followers are not idiots, and they have not been "duped." Again, they got what they wanted.

If Democrats go into 2020 without holding onto those assumptions, they'll do much better. I'm sure Sun Tzu has something to say about the odds of success while assuming your opponents are incompetent buffoons.

Last edited:
Trump wanted the attention. I’m not certain if I believe that he and his camp were counting on losing. Like Icarus, I don’t believe Donald Trump had any idea how bright the spotlight was going to be.....

Unlike those who have been crowing for 2 years that every issue "discovered" will turn out to be "the thing that will bring him down," I'm part of the "wait and see" crowd for what really happens...

So far all I am seeing is "Trumped-up (could an appellation have ever been so appropriate ;) ) charges" designed to undo what happened during the election of 2016.

I didn't like the Republicans going after Bill Clinton like this back then, and I don't like the Progressive-Left Democrats doing it this time around.

I don't stop supporting an official I voted for just because the opposition has created a miasma of moral panic designed to "shame" me into following the crowd. :coffeepap:

Last edited:

This is a false dichotomy. I didn't vote for Trump and I view a few of the negative articles about Trump as fake news. There are a variety of reasons that people voted for Trump that negative articles would have no impact on whether or not they felt it was a mistake to vote for him. For instance, If you support the policies Trump has put in place then most of the articles have very little impact on whether or not you would vote for him. Honestly, given how he has done I feel as if I made a mistake by not voting for him because he has been clearly better than Hillary (from a Right leaning view) and far better than I would have predicted given the fact I believe he is a bumbling moron. There are many things I dislike about him but if the choice is between him and someone pushing the typical Democratic or Progressive agenda then he is the better choice from my perspective.

Unlike those who have been crowing for 2 years that every issue "discovered" turns out to be "this is the thing that will bring him down," I'm part of the "wait and see" crowd showing what really happens...

Why should anybody care that you'll "wait and see"?

And Trump's haters will never admit that he did one good thing for this country.

So neener, neener....

Yes, that's called the backfire effect. And while I don't doubt there's some measure of that going on, I don't believe that's the primary explanation for what's happening here or else his approval would have changed since inauguration rather than remaining practically the same. The only explanation for that is their certainty that they got precisely what they wanted.

In the two years since he became President, there are some narratives we tell ourselves to sleep better at night that we're going to have to drop. If we don't, the refusal to face reality is going to make facing Trump in 2020 much more difficult than it needs to be.

1)Trump is not an idiot. Yes, he's selectively ignorant, but that's not the same thing as being stupid.
2)His followers are not idiots, and they have not been "duped." Again, they got what they wanted.

If Democrats go into 2020 without holding onto those assumptions, they'll do much better. I'm sure Sun Tzu has something to say about the odds of success while assuming your opponents are incompetent buffoons.

Wonderful assessment!

Trump works against himself sometimes, but he successfully keeps himself at the forefront of everyone's thoughts. He keeps people so busy trashing him that it's hard to hear past the buzz. He is playing chess. It's working.

If everyone who is spending all their time and energy looking for any little thing to attack and assuming everyone will see it their way keep up current practices, he has a real chance in 2020. He is getting underestimated again and polarization of the parties will lead to another Hillary.

I don't like Trump. I want him out of office. But I don't think the current approach is helping that goal.

I personally think if the dems found a moderate to run who was educated, could speak well, and didn't run on Orange Man Bad as a platform, they would sweep the EC. Unfortunately, everything is being set up for the opposite of that plan.

I am pretty certain 2020 will just end up as another choice between 2 evils that doesn't get us anywhere.

Wonderful assessment!

Trump works against himself sometimes, but he successfully keeps himself at the forefront of everyone's thoughts. He keeps people so busy trashing him that it's hard to hear past the buzz. He is playing chess. It's working.

If everyone who is spending all their time and energy looking for any little thing to attack and assuming everyone will see it their way keep up current practices, he has a real chance in 2020. He is getting underestimated again and polarization of the parties will lead to another Hillary.

I don't like Trump. I want him out of office. But I don't think the current approach is helping that goal.

I personally think if the dems found a moderate to run who was educated, could speak well, and didn't run on Orange Man Bad as a platform, they would sweep the EC. Unfortunately, everything is being set up for the opposite of that plan.

I am pretty certain 2020 will just end up as another choice between 2 evils that doesn't get us anywhere.

What if the Dems select let say, Joe Biden? Would you still feel he is too far left for you?

This is a false dichotomy. I didn't vote for Trump and I view a few of the negative articles about Trump as fake news. There are a variety of reasons that people voted for Trump that negative articles would have no impact on whether or not they felt it was a mistake to vote for him. For instance, If you support the policies Trump has put in place then most of the articles have very little impact on whether or not you would vote for him. Honestly, given how he has done I feel as if I made a mistake by not voting for him because he has been clearly better than Hillary (from a Right leaning view) and far better than I would have predicted given the fact I believe he is a bumbling moron. There are many things I dislike about him but if the choice is between him and someone pushing the typical Democratic or Progressive agenda then he is the better choice from my perspective.

It's ok if the President is an idiot as long as it's not a Democrat?

Your few remarks remind me of those who I see as , never a Dem. The worst GOPer is better than the best Dem. I know many of such people who just walk into the booth and pull the all Republican lever. In my life I have voted for those of either party who I felt were the best candidate, but many people today can not see beyond their own party. I would never vote for Trump as I see him as such a flawed human being. I did vote for Bush Senior when he ran against Clinton, who I see as another flawed human being.

It's ok if the President is an idiot as long as it's not a Democrat?

Depending on your views, certainly. If you don't agree with the agenda a person is pushing forward, then why would you vote for them?

That is why they go along with his "fake news".
You are denying "fake news" in the MSM which goes back a lot further than trump? Do unpack that. What to you is fake news?

They have to see any negative articles about trump as fake news
Since he started running the negative anti-trump messaging has been nonstop and actually decreased. So maybe since those articles are basically opinion pieces or anti-trump talking points they speak past a lot of people, produced for a different audience.

they have to admit to having made a mistake voting for him
I have never heard of one person who regretted voting for him. Some feel betrayed but more for their effort to promote him than to actually just vote.

Why do you assume it was a mistake?

So don't expect Trump's true believers to ever back away from their worship of trump.
You're an atheist yes? I ask cause I am not sure you understand what worship is…

Hmmm, maybe...

But threads and responses like these are also known "collectively" as TDS. ;)

That's a convenient excuse, but there is a phenomenon around Donald Trump of that nature.
There are people who will support him no matter how corrupt he turns out to be.
Trump is not the problem, he is a symptom OF "the problem".

There's an old saying: "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
It's a clever observation but maybe it's not entirely correct.
For all the truth in it, it leaves out one other important fact, the fact that power acts as a magnet to attract easily corruptible people.

Therein lies the problem with Donald Trump. He was corrupted long before he ever dreamed of running for President.
His fans, like you for instance, seem to have overlooked that.

Your few remarks remind me of those who I see as , never a Dem. The worst GOPer is better than the best Dem. I know many of such people who just walk into the booth and pull the all Republican lever. In my life I have voted for those of either party who I felt were the best candidate, but many people today can not see beyond their own party. I would never vote for Trump as I see him as such a flawed human being. I did vote for Bush Senior when he ran against Clinton, who I see as another flawed human being.

I wouldn't say the worst GOPer is better than any Democrat. I don't like the Republican party either, I just dislike them less than the average Democrat. For instance, I would vote for Tulsi Gabbard over many in the Republican party because I share some of the views she is passionate about (mainly anti-war). The average Republican vs average Democrat, I am taking the Republican.

Red:
I agree with that much of what you wrote.

Most of that consists of "sticking it to the libtards". They don't even care what else happens, as long as they can tell themselves that they stuck it to the liberals one more time.

Back
Top Bottom