• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why today’s troops fear a new war is coming soon

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

WASHINGTON — Nearly half of all current military troops believe the United States will be drawn into a major war soon, a jarring rise in anxiety among service members worried about global instability in general and Russia and China in particular, according to a new Military Times poll of active-duty troops.
About 46 percent of troops who responded to the anonymous survey of currently serving Military Times readers said they believe the U.S. will be drawn into a new war within the next year. That’s a jarring increase from only about 5 percent who said the same thing in a similar poll conducted in September 2017.

Another 50 percent think the country will not end up in a major conflict during the next year. But that number is falling, down from more than two-thirds of those surveyed last fall who said a war was unlikely.

I hope they're wrong, but they are in a position to know.

I think there is a reason there hasn't been a war between major powers since the use of the atom bomb, and I expect that trend to hold.

There is some truth to their reasoning, the us military around where I live has been doing massive artillery and bombing practice, something done yearly but this year at an outrageous rate, however it could be due to obama era cutbacks and the army trying to run through gunnery as fast as they can with the new budget.

But then you have russia in vostok 2018, over 300k soldiers were used, and a very large portion of the entire russian military equipment was active for the excercise. But even though it looked like they were preparing for all out war they just might not be preparing to start all out war, but rather preparing to defend against it.

China has been more agressive lately as well, starting trouble in the china sea. But all in all the biggest threat I see is in syria between russia and america, where the pissing match could turn into a regional war or possibly a world war or nuclear war. Just keep in mind if you view russias vostok excercises as defensive, they are more worried than us troops about the same thing, a major war.

They know that the military is training up for a major war, something that they had let go for nearly 20 years as they did insurgency. A major war is almost certainly coming and we need to get ready for it as best we can but it is unlikely to happen in one year, or even five.
An your basis for claiming the military "let go" training for major war is . . .?

Interesting. Most of what I've seen says most military planning still hinges on "major regional conflicts", e.g. middle east, Korean peninsula, eastern Europe, and conventional warfare. Of course, a lot of the near term emphasis had to be on the Iraq/Afghanistan style of urban warfare.

They are probably thinking of Iran and North Korea, not Russia and China.

Interesting. Most of what I've seen says most military planning still hinges on "major regional conflicts", e.g. middle east, Korean peninsula, eastern Europe, and conventional warfare. Of course, a lot of the near term emphasis had to be on the Iraq/Afghanistan style of urban warfare.

Dont confuse planning with training, nor with capacity.

This from the last link should have caught your attention:
The National Defense Strategy is a fairly wonky document. Few Americans will read it, and most will not know it exists at all. That’s unfortunate, because it contains a new and very important message for the American people. It makes a clear and compelling case that great power wars are more likely than they have been in decades, and that the U.S. military, without steady funding and urgent change, could actually lose those wars. That would be a shocking revelation to most Americans, and Mattis does a great service to the nation by calling it out.
The new National Defense Strategy marks a clear change of direction for the U.S. military. After focusing for almost two decades on limited wars and non-state threats, it is now entering a period of great power competition and the renewed possibility of a major conflict. The new strategy makes a clear and easy-to-understand case for why sustained defense investment is needed in this complicated and challenging era. Those in uniform have a responsibility to get this message out. The National Defense Strategy summary provides an excellent set of talking points that America’s uniformed and civilian defense leadership should use at every opportunity to talk to the American people about the challenges ahead. And it also calls for urgent, perhaps even revolutionary, change inside the Pentagon and the military services. This strategy, explained by those who will have to execute it, can help inform and educate the American people about just what will be required for the United States to remain able to prevail against its potential future adversaries in an increasingly dangerous world

We are very likely to lose when we go head to head with China/Russia/et al.

Dont confuse planning with training, nor with capacity.
Tactics vs strategy. Not confusion.

Hawkeye10 said:
This from the last link should have caught your attention:

We are very likely to lose when we go head to head with China/Russia/et al.
I saw this although I'm not familiar with the source there are some good points.

Military Times?

Hell, for nothing other than promotion information nobody I know of has paid attention to them for years now. It is little more than Duffleblog in most cases.

They are probably thinking of Iran and North Korea, not Russia and China.

Another limited Orwellian "war is peace" sort of war is much more likely. A major war between powerful nations would be the end of civilization, and most of the leaders know it.

Military Times?

Hell, for nothing other than promotion information nobody I know of has paid attention to them for years now. It is little more than Duffleblog in most cases.

That's not true.

Duffelblog is actually entertaining.

Because they know the leader of our military is an incompetent psychotic paranoid draft dodger that worships only dictators.

Back
Top Bottom