• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why These Women Don't Strap Up I'll Never Know

Some neighbourhoods of London like Brixton or Southall are almost entirely black or Asian. Needless to say these aren't exactly tourist areas :wink:

Many of the poorer Northern industrial towns have very large ethnic minorities often outnumbering the whites

spent a week based at the Hilton @ Paddington Station but traveled thoughout at least the touristy sides of London. It was more diverse than NYC.

Not having one certainly guarantees you'll die when a psycho comes calling though.

Statistically just having a gun in the home makes it seven times more likely that someone will be killed or injured than by any intruder

Last edited:
spent a week based at the Hilton @ Paddington Station but traveled thoughout at least the touristy sides of London. It was more diverse than NYC.

I think I'd agree with that. In Paddington both the German and Iranian communities live side by side. It seems like an odd mix but it works

Ok.

But I am not going to get on board with yet another way we blame women for being assaulted and murdered.

Whatever she did or didn't do, she is not responsible for that. What if he broke in her window? What, she should just have her gun strapped to her person at all times in her home? Jesus, what if she decides to SLEEP sometime?

This is much more an argument for reforming the bond system and our judicial efficiency, than it is for why we should blame women for being assaulted and murdered.

Suggesting a countermeasure =/= blaming.

Statistically just having a gun in the home makes it seven times more likely that someone will be killed or injured than by any intruder

Gun control lobby lies.

The simple fact is the perp knows he is going to rob you long before you do ergo he will always have the drop on you with his gun.

Now you you could try a Dirty Harry but the odds are you will either be disarmed or shot in the process of drawing your weapon which explains why people who carry guns are some 4.5 times more likely to be shot than those that don't

Horse ****.

Armed citizens shoot armed thugs quite regularly. Your grasp of tactics is apparently nonexistent.

Horse ****.

Armed citizens shoot armed thugs quite regularly. Your grasp of tactics is apparently nonexistent.

since Flogger has never been allowed to legally carry a concealed pistol in a civilian environment, what possible information can he bring to the discussion that matters to those of us who do

Horse ****.

The exception does not prove the rule.

what rule is that? armed private citizens shoot more scum bags than cops do. Private citizens are LESS LIKELY TO MISS than cops

Private Citizens are far less likely to SHOOT bystanders than cops or the wrong person

Most crimes stopped by an armed citizen do NOT involve the defendant being SHOT. I stopped several crimes, by my use of firearms-only shot one person

Yeah, except that it is the rule. Even Obama's own commissioned study by the CDC determined that defensive gun use is at least equal to incidences of victimization. In fact, the study concluded that defensive gun use might actually outnumber attacks by 2 to 1. ;)

Yeah, except that it is the rule. Even Obama's own commissioned study by the CDC determined that defensive gun use is at least equal to incidences of victimization. In fact, the study concluded that defensive gun use might actually outnumber attacks by 2 to 1. ;)

Actually, possibly as much as 8 to 1 IIRC.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ?Important Crime Deterrent?http://http://www.gunsandammo.com/politics/cdc-gun-research-backfires-on-obama/

The CDC report found that victims who resist with a gun are less likely to suffer serious harm that victims who didn't resist or resisted via other methods...
...that Defensive Gun Use (DGUs) are probably at least as common as gun crime and possibly several times more common, as most incidents involve no shots fired and are not reported to police...
... that guns in private hands form an important deterrent to crime.

Tons of this stuff out there, I haven't even scratched the surface yet...

Her having a gun may or may not have made a difference.

What WOULD have made the difference would have been NO BAIL. In my opinion, our legal system failed this poor woman. Domestic violence that rises to this level is COMPLETELY predictable even by this layperson. When a man kidnaps, rapes and tortures his estranged wife for ELEVEN DAYS! And she, by the grace of God, manages to escape, the system owes HIM nothing. Again, in my opinion, this is an indication that our court systems haven't caught up with the reality of serious domestic violence. Even calling it domestic violence trivializes it. The judge who granted bail to this man in the face of The State's request for remand should be removed from the bench . . . Sending a powerful message to all others.

Was this woman apprised that he'd been freed? Was she offered protection? Counseled on the dangers she faced with this obviously unhinged soon-to-be ex? Advised to seek shelter in secret? And is this what it should come to? His right to bail supersede her right to peace of mind and safety? Such failure in SO many ways. Horrible.

I agree with all you said here Maggie. Victims of domestic violence are being underserved and underprotected by the system. After holding her 11 days, why should he have been given bail? This is the bigger problem in this story rather than presuming she would have been alive had she gotten a gun.

That sounds like blaming the victim.

What study?

Back
Top Bottom