• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the US needs to lower the legal drinking age

we should have minimum age laws for hard drugs, that way people over 65 can inject heroin or smoke crack.

Sorry, this is off topic, but the reason English has an alphabet is because of the Romans. English uses a modified Latin alphabet, which originated from the Greek alphabet, which in turn likely originated from the Phoenician alphabet (A.K.A. the first phonetic alphabet). Therefore, the likely reason English has an alphabet is because of the Phoenicians. Not even remotely because of Moses.

On to the topic at hand, yes, the drinking age should certainly be lowered. It is ridiculous that we allow people to volunteer to go to war for their country, but prohibit them from consuming alcohol.

Damm yur dumm.

Prolly yung too.

Keep your d!ck in your pants until you can support the girl and her baby that you are fokking.

Has that kind of talk ever worked? There was no way that my fifteen year old self was just going to let the opportunity slip by.

His church turned against God. But the fact remains, his impact on European history was monumental

now as to drinking ages-if you are old enough to serve in the military and say fly a machine that can obliterate 6 city blocks in the time it takes to sneeze, you are old enough to have a drink

I don't think you can say that although at the top in Rome the Medicci's were indeed fairly corrupt.

Power corrupts.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The Church is not exempt from that.

Has that kind of talk ever worked? There was no way that my fifteen year old self was just going to let the opportunity slip by.

its not supposed to work?

Damm yur dumm.

Prolly yung too.

Care to elaborate? Dispute one of my statements? Present a counter-argument? Perhaps spell the words 'you're,' 'dumb,' 'probably,' and 'young' correctly?

I would think the whole idea of telling people no is supposed to do something. lol.

no? If your senator made a speech about how you should eat your vegetables, what would you do?

no? If your senator made a speech about how you should eat your vegetables, what would you do?

Make an effort to eat them wrong while watching the speech.

Care to elaborate? Dispute one of my statements? Present a counter-argument? Perhaps spell the words 'you're,' 'dumb,' 'probably,' and 'young' correctly?

Sure I'll elaborate.

a-priori means something is self evident.

a-posteriori means something needs to be deduced.

It is a-priori obvious that you are so dumm you have no idea where western writing came from.

You are probably a dummazz high school kid.

Sure I'll elaborate.

a-priori means something is self evident.

a-posteriori means something needs to be deduced.

It is a-priori obvious that you are so dumm you have no idea where western writing came from.

You are probably a dummazz high school kid.

You are partially correct in that one of us is terribly confused about the origins of western alphabets, however, it isn't me. Here is one source for my statements; I can get more if you like:

Latin alphabet | Britannica.com

Care to link a source supporting your assertion? Perhaps we might also create a new thread to debate this topic, as it is not remotely related to the original post.

P.S. Once again, it is 'dumb' not 'dumm.'

You are partially correct in that one of us is terribly confused about the origins of western alphabets, however, it isn't me. Here is one source for my statements; I can get more if you like:

Latin alphabet | Britannica.com

Care to link a source supporting your assertion? Perhaps we might also create a new thread to debate this topic, as it is not remotely related to the original post.

P.S. Once again, it is 'dumb' not 'dumm.'

You're in high school right ???

You're in high school right ???

Is there a point to this line of questioning? Would you care to dispute my arguments, rather than address my identity?

This topic is really less about drinking age and more about drunk driving.

The age increase significantly reduced motor vehicle deaths.

So it's pretty clear that reducing the drinking age will quite likely lead to lots of morbidity and mortality- and that increase is literally in the thousands of dead kids. That's a tough trade off.

Higher drinking age saves lives

As a parent to kids in this under 21 age group, it's really challenging. I don't have a problem with the college kids drinking- but getting behind the wheel is verboten.

I think this attitude, at least among the kids I know, is pretty well accepted. Designated drivers with these kids are common, and my kids have been called late at night by many a friend to drive them home from a party. I support that.

It seems to me that some kind of graduated drinking age may make more sense. My son goes to a college towns where bars admit 19 year olds, but they 'can't drink' until they're 21. Makes absolute sense to me, especially since no one is driving. Maybe severe penalties for a detectable BAC for under 21 year olds driving- like automatic suspension of driving.

On the other side of the coin, there's pretty good evidence that the 21 drinking age has just accelerated binge drinking and discouraged moderation. It's a good point, and lots of college Presidents are supporting changing the age back.

Amethyst Initiative » About

And did you boink a lot of girlies in public school ??

You do realize the point of what I said, right? Do you really think teenagers care about some minimum age law? You act like somehow if you set a minimum age that you will make some kind of difference to things. In reality, teenagers don't care and it doesn't cross their mind even once.

I know you did not do it in private school because they would have kicked your azz out.

I imagine that would depend on the school.

Last edited:
Moses was a brilliant general and prince. He is a good role model. He is the reason that you and I are writing in alpha-bet not in cuneiform.

So was Mohammed actually one of the greatest generals in history, what does the Qu'ran say about it? Why don't you follow that?

One day hopefully our government will get rid of all the double standards and treat people equally. I think I would have better luck convincing the KKK or the Nazi party that this is right thing to do unfortunately. Expecting equal and fair treatment by our government is a bridge too far.

So was Mohammed actually one of the greatest generals in history, what does the Qu'ran say about it? Why don't you follow that?

We have no evidence that Muhammad the rag headed child molester ever really existed at all.

I have heard rumors from Persians that they made the whole story about Muhammad up.

You do realize the point of what I said, right? Do you really think teenagers care about some minimum age law? You act like somehow if you set a minimum age that you will make some kind of difference to things. In reality, teenagers don't care and it doesn't cross their mind even once.

I imagine that would depend on the school.

It's getting to the point in the USA that we need to sew up all little Susie's and Sally's slits and tie rubber bands around all little Johnny's d!cks to keep them off each other so they will learn their ABC's and numbers and math.

Otherwise we are going to need more and more H1B visas forever.

Is there a point to this line of questioning? Would you care to dispute my arguments, rather than address my identity?

No I just asked and wanted to know if you are a fokking high school kid.

'Cause you are as numb and dumb as one.

By now, it is no suprise that America's legal drinking age is 21. This was achieved in the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 in an effort to cut down on drunk driving which threatened to cut off 10% of highway funding to states which did not comply. Politicians have always remained silent about the legal drinking age; even bernie sanders who has won the support of many millennials remains silent about it. Now that elections are coming up, it is time to break the silence and here's why it should be lowered to 18.

1. Double standard: you are old enough to participate in the voting process, join the military, smoke tobacco (except in california), and buy a home at 18 but drinking responsibly requires too much maturity?:confused: Alcolhol has become a big part of america's culture as seen in the extensive amount of beer commercials on sports channels. Smoking tobacco has become increasingly unpopular. Why do you only have to be 18 to smoke but 21 to drink then?

2. the rest of the world frowns upon this: here are all of the countries' legal drinking ages (pic below). The crimson ones have it set at 21 while the black ones are under prohibition. 14 countries have it a 21, only one of which does not have a muslim majority (take notes islamaphobes)
View attachment 67201037

There are people who defend the legal drinking age saying that it saves lives. My counterargument is that banning cars saves even more lives.
To the bolded:

Wha???

There's no equivalency here!

Back
Top Bottom