• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the US needs to lower the legal drinking age

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
By now, it is no suprise that America's legal drinking age is 21. This was achieved in the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 in an effort to cut down on drunk driving which threatened to cut off 10% of highway funding to states which did not comply. Politicians have always remained silent about the legal drinking age; even bernie sanders who has won the support of many millennials remains silent about it. Now that elections are coming up, it is time to break the silence and here's why it should be lowered to 18.

1. Double standard: you are old enough to participate in the voting process, join the military, smoke tobacco (except in california), and buy a home at 18 but drinking responsibly requires too much maturity?:confused: Alcolhol has become a big part of america's culture as seen in the extensive amount of beer commercials on sports channels. Smoking tobacco has become increasingly unpopular. Why do you only have to be 18 to smoke but 21 to drink then?

2. the rest of the world frowns upon this: here are all of the countries' legal drinking ages (pic below). The crimson ones have it set at 21 while the black ones are under prohibition. 14 countries have it a 21, only one of which does not have a muslim majority (take notes islamaphobes)
Alkoholersterwerbsalter_(Weltweit)2.svg.jpg

There are people who defend the legal drinking age saying that it saves lives. My counterargument is that banning cars saves even more lives.

How did the world ever survive before drinking age laws? The 19th century must have been horrifying.

Kids under 21 should not drink alcohol.

Kids under 21 should not smoke tobacco.

Kids under 21 should not smoke dope.

Kids under 21 should not be boinking either.

Get your high school and college finished first, kid.

Teenagers everywhere: I'll do what I want!

once we started drafting 18 year olds, those restrictions seem sort of stupid

18 is also too young to send kids into combat.

Moses' rule was 20.

You know where that is in the Bible I hope.

I don't find anything in the bible to be particularly useful to my daily existence nor in politics

I don't find anything in the bible to be particularly useful to my daily existence nor in politics

Moses was a brilliant general and prince. He is a good role model. He is the reason that you and I are writing in alpha-bet not in cuneiform.

Moses was a brilliant general and prince. He is a good role model. He is the reason that you and I are writing in alpha-bet not in cuneiform.

I don't know about the alphabet thing. I liked Charlton Heston's role

Wasn't he the guy that held down his son as his wife Zipporah circumcised him?

I don't know about the alphabet thing. I liked Charlton Heston's role

Simply put, Moses is one of the few people in history that has had a huge impact on modern times.

If I make a list these are the people on it:

Moses
Jesus
St. Peter
St. Paul
Constantine
Constantine's mother
Pope Gregory
Galileo
Columbus
Queen Isabella of Spain
Elizabeth 1st
Sir Frances Drake
Sir Walter Raleigh
John Locke
Patrick Henry
Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Wellington
Abe Lincoln
US Grant
John Buford
Chester Nimitz
FDR
Ike
MacArthur
JFK
LBJ
BHO

Last edited:
Simply put, Moses is one of the few people in history that has had a huge impact on modern times.

If I make a list these are the people on it:

Moses
Jesus
St. Peter
St. Paul
Constantine
Constantine's mother
Columbus
Queen Isabella of Spain
Elizabeth 1st
Sir Frances Drake
Sir Walter Raleigh
John Locke
Patrick Henry
Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Abe Lincoln
US Grant
John Buford
Chester Nimitz
Ike
MacArthur
JFK
LBJ
BHO

So many more important people missing. The Greek physician Galen
Galileo
Da Vinci
Copernicus
Jefferson
Shaka
Hannibal
a dozen Chinese leaders I cannot think of now
Dante
Cardinal DeRichelieu
King Gustavus Adolphus
Martin Luther
John Calvin
Haile Selassie

and the list goes on

I am a proponent of teen freedom:

sex 14

Beer/wine 16

Driving 16

booze 18

tobacco 18

pot 18

Military service 18

Gambling 21

So many more important people missing. The Greek physician Galen
Galileo
Da Vinci
Copernicus
Jefferson
Shaka
Hannibal
a dozen Chinese leaders I cannot think of now
Dante
Cardinal DeRichelieu
King Gustavus Adolphus
Martin Luther
John Calvin
Haile Selassie

and the list goes on

I did add Galileo.

Martin Luther was a heretic who should have been burned at the stake.

Ultimately we will need to nuke China back into the stone age with N.Korea as well. War is coming.

I am a proponent of teen freedom:

sex 14

Beer/wine 16

Driving 16

booze 18

tobacco 18

pot 18

Military service 18

Gambling 21

The only problem is that your teenaged brain is not mature until age 25 so you should not be fokking it up before then.

And until you have a job and a steady salary you should not be boinking girls either.

The only problem is that your teenaged brain is not mature until age 25 so you should not be fokking it up before then.

And until you have a job and a steady salary you should not be boinking girls either.

My fifteen year old self disagrees.

I did add Galileo.

Martin Luther was a heretic who should have been burned at the stake.

Ultimately we will need to nuke China back into the stone age with N.Korea as well. War is coming.

LOL, Martin Luther was merely pointing out how corrupt the church was. He wasn't an ass kicker like John Calvin or later Queen Elizabeth. Any "christian" church that suggests "heretics" should be burned is an institution that should have been never founded in the first place.

as to war coming-it appears it might happen in this country first given the intolerance I see from some

LOL, Martin Luther was merely pointing out how corrupt the church was. He wasn't an ass kicker like John Calvin or later Queen Elizabeth. Any "christian" church that suggests "heretics" should be burned is an institution that should have been never founded in the first place.

as to war coming-it appears it might happen in this country first given the intolerance I see from some

Martin Luther violated his priestly oath.

Martin Luther violated his priestly oath.

The church violated all sorts of things. selling indulgences, priests impregnating nuns, graveyards full of the murdered right after birth children of said nuns. corruption, corruption and more corruption

Keep your d!ck in your pants until you can support the girl and her baby that you are fokking.

keep the sucker wrapped in rubber

The church violated all sorts of things. selling indulgences, priests impregnating nuns, graveyards full of the murdered right after birth children of said nuns. corruption, corruption and more corruption

Still, Martin Luther took a holy oath to be faithful.

Still, Martin Luther took a holy oath to be faithful.

His church turned against God. But the fact remains, his impact on European history was monumental

now as to drinking ages-if you are old enough to serve in the military and say fly a machine that can obliterate 6 city blocks in the time it takes to sneeze, you are old enough to have a drink

Sorry, this is off topic, but the reason English has an alphabet is because of the Romans. English uses a modified Latin alphabet, which originated from the Greek alphabet, which in turn likely originated from the Phoenician alphabet (A.K.A. the first phonetic alphabet). Therefore, the likely reason English has an alphabet is because of the Phoenicians. Not even remotely because of Moses.

On to the topic at hand, yes, the drinking age should certainly be lowered. It is ridiculous that we allow people to volunteer to go to war for their country, but prohibit them from consuming alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom