• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the "Social Justice" Fad Is Failing

Henrin said:
Not really. You have control over the music, but not other noises.

Hmmmm....so if I understand you correctly, unless I have absolute control over some situation, I have none? Control is an all or nothing deal? That seems to be implied. The music plus other ambient sound is the total "sound situation," and since I can only control the music, but not the other noises, I don't really have control. Right?

I have the right to be free from your disturbance, Henrin.

Honestly, where do you come-up with this stuff? I'm sure you can't act in society the way you propose in your posts. You'd never make it to the end of the block! :doh

I think he has never experienced his neighbours having a party.

Hmmmm....so if I understand you correctly, unless I have absolute control over some situation, I have none? Control is an all or nothing deal? That seems to be implied. The music plus other ambient sound is the total "sound situation," and since I can only control the music, but not the other noises, I don't really have control. Right?

You have control over the music, but not the sound from other sources. If a loud fan was bothering you, do you have a right to force the owner of the fan to turn it off?

I have the right to be free from your disturbance, Henrin.

Really? How does this work exactly?

Honestly, where do you come-up with this stuff? I'm sure you can't act in society the way you propose in your posts. You'd never make it to the end of the block! :doh

Why wouldn't I not make it down the block? Do people not drive around playing loud music? I'm pretty sure they do and I'm pretty sure I have done just that in the past.

Henrin said:
You have control over the music, but not the sound from other sources.

That doesn't answer the question I asked, which was this: is control an all or nothing deal? If I do not have absolute control over a situation, then I have none?

Henrin said:
If a loud fan was bothering you, do you have a right to force the owner of the fan to turn it off?

It depends on whether it would be right to do so. Before you comment on that, please answer the question I asked you.

You have control over the music, but not the sound from other sources. If a loud fan was bothering you, do you have a right to force the owner of the fan to turn it off?

A loud fan, no. Say having a party at 3am blasting music in an apartment building or in a suburb yes because it it is a large disturbance to many people. There is a reason rights are not absolute, otherwise they become meaningless and just plain stupid.

The only neighbor I have is an old lady.

Exactly I do not think you understand what a disturbance is, you have no idea how much of a disturbance loud music can be at 3am in a an apartment with a couple hundred people.

Really? How does this work exactly?
Assuming it's now near midnight or after, park your ride in front of your neighbors' houses, roll down the windows, and crank the tunes to the heavens. When they, the other neighbors, or the coppers come over to talk to you about it, tell them exactly what you're telling me here. They'll answer all your questions and show you how it all works.

Why wouldn't I not make it down the block? Do people not drive around playing loud music? I'm pretty sure they do and I'm pretty sure I have done just that in the past.
Getting away with breaking the law does not establish your having a right, Henrin.

Assuming it's now near midnight or after, park your ride in front of your neighbors' houses, roll down the windows, and crank the tunes to the heavens. When they, the other neighbors, or the coppers come over to talk to you about it, tell them exactly what you're telling me here. They'll answer all your questions and show you how it all works.

Appeal to authority.

Getting away with breaking the law does not establish your having a right, Henrin.

I never said it did. It does however mean that I can make it down the block while playing loud music. Your claim was like those people saying I can't do something when I am doing it. I can't play loud music? That's odd, I appear to be doing it right now. :D

A loud fan, no. Say having a party at 3am blasting music in an apartment building or in a suburb yes because it it is a large disturbance to many people. There is a reason rights are not absolute, otherwise they become meaningless and just plain stupid.

Isn't the claim that rights only stop where others begin? If so, it would appear you have to establish what right is being violated by loud music at 3 am.

Appeal to authority.
If you think enforcement of the Constitution through the courts & law enforcement is not legit, what else is there to say? We are speaking of legal rights here, after all.

I never said it did. It does however mean that I can make it down the block while playing loud music. Your claim was like those people saying I can't do something when I am doing it. I can't play loud music? That's odd, I appear to be doing it right now. :D
I find this a fruitless discussion.

Isn't the claim that rights only stop where others begin? If so, it would appear you have to establish what right is being violated by loud music at 3 am.

My right to sleep!

What about my right to take a nap at 2 pm?

Is there ever a time when I can play loud music?

DUde, this is not complicated.

You must conform to the normal rhythms of the city.

I am pretty sure this is officially called the "dont be a dick" rule, ever heard of it?

Here is what I want you do. Download Spotify. Then just before you go to bed preferably on a night where you have to wake up early the next morning and set Spotify to the Metal or Dubstep station. Then plug your computer into the loudest speaker you have and crank the volume to max and try to sleep. Then come back here and tell us your opinion.

We want freedom. We want to be able to do, say, be, read, and play at anything. We have faith in ourselves that we are all able to make the best judgments for ourselves and what we believe in. We don’t need to be told how to speak. We don’t need to be told what books to read. We don’t need to be told which video games to play. We don’t need to be told any of those things. We don’t need to be instructed and lectured by politicians, we don’t need to be badgered and hectored by feminists, and we don’t need to be lied to by journalists. People are sick of it, and they are sick of the entire mendacious edifice. What is behind the rejection of this social justice thing, this language policing, this political correctness, these safe spaces, trigger warnings, micro aggressions, all this horse****, is the rejection of the idea that somebody else knows better than we do how to live our lives.

Paraphrased from Milo Yiannopoulos.

Why is the social justice thing failing? That is simple. It doesn't work, when you overshoot and the costs of it are now eating us up and stopping progress so badly, that it is finally becoming impossible to hide.

There is no right to not deal with stinky people, to not look at messes, or not hear loud music.

Glen was using the Navy as a reference to his analogy. Different rules altogether. I have physically thrown a few of my snipes into the shower after telling them a dozen times to clean up. I have taken a fire hose to a couple guys down in the engine rooms. I have taken CD players from shipmates who were told to keep the volume down a dozen times.

The military is not the civilian world.....although the new military is quite different now.

You learn a few things when you spend a career in the Navy, when you live for years in VERY close proximity to a few hundred of your closest shipmates. You learn that if you play loud music, you're keeping others from sleeping, and people get pissed off. You learn that if you don't take showers, you begin to stink, and people get pissed off. You learn that if you don't clean up your own rack, it looks like crap and reflects on everyone around you...and people get pissed off.

In a nutshell, you learn that even though you're an adult who is fully capable of making his own decisions, for the sake of keeping the peace, you have to take into consideration those who live around you.

And that's what much (though not all e.g. lying journalists etc.) of your paraphrased quote misses - you want to have all the freedoms of adulthood, but your freedom ENDS where the other person's freedom BEGINS. You can be as free as you want, as long as your freedom does not detract from the freedoms and opportunities of others.

Now you can ignore all this if you can find somewhere in the world where you can truly live not just as a sovereign citizen, but alone, without anyone else around you...but if you're going to live around other people, if you want to live a peaceful life, then you must remember that your freedom ends where the other people's freedom begins.

This all sounds reasonable, but where it gets oppressive in the SJW way is when concerns about the effect of speech, etc., on others is used to silence completely legitimate and needful speech for reasons having nothing at all to do with harm of any kind to others and everything to do with a lust for power and the desire to drive a specific, leftist, agenda on the part of the SJW ilk.

Again, we trust ourselves to know the difference between what is acceptable in the public square and what is not. We have no need of SJW hectoring, which we reject utterly.

Glen was using the Navy as a reference to his analogy. Different rules altogether. I have physically thrown a few of my snipes into the shower after telling them a dozen times to clean up. I have taken a fire hose to a couple guys down in the engine rooms. I have taken CD players from shipmates who were told to keep the volume down a dozen times.

The military is not the civilian world.....although the new military is quite different now.

So you physically assaulted other navy members? Is this something that is allowed in the navy? It sounds to me that allowing navy personal to force each other to shower is a great way to enable sexual assault.

So you physically assaulted other navy members? Is this something that is allowed in the navy? It sounds to me that allowing navy personal to force each other to shower is a great way to enable sexual assault.

Totally bludgeoned them... :roll:

Totally bludgeoned them... :roll:

I have physically thrown a few of my snipes into the shower after telling them a dozen times to clean up. I have taken a fire hose to a couple guys down in the engine rooms.

Both of the actions you admitted to taking above are assault.

I have taken CD players from shipmates who were told to keep the volume down a dozen times.

And taking peoples property without their consent is theft.

It seems to me that you should have been disciplined for your behavior.

Back
Top Bottom