• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the Kids Care

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
And, maybe why the older folks don't give a damn.

Post 2100:
ca112f54a.png

Blue indicates counties where flooding will displace residents if sea levels rise by six feet by 2100. Counties in shades of pink and red will see higher-than-average migration, with the darker shades representing larger population increases.

In the worst-case scenario, in which sea levels rise by six feet by 2100, the resulting map shows portions of almost all counties on the East and West Coasts, and along the Gulf of Mexico, under water. It also shows that cities closest to the flood-prone areas, and that aren’t typically attractive destinations for newcomers, could see a higher-than-average influx of migrants. In Florida, for example, that means people may increasingly move to the shrinking core of the peninsula as the coastlines disappear into the ocean.

The kids know this is real. And, like Greta, they are rightfully voicing their anger at the older generations who ignore the danger or simply do not care since it's not their problem.

Post 2100:
ca112f54a.png

Blue indicates counties where flooding will displace residents if sea levels rise by six feet by 2100. Counties in shades of pink and red will see higher-than-average migration, with the darker shades representing larger population increases.

The kids know this is real. And, like Greta, they are rightfully voicing their anger at the older generations who ignore the danger or simply do not care since it's not their problem.

...If sea levels rise by six feet by 2100...

Six feet by 2100 comes to almost 23 mm/yr every year for the next 80 years.
The current rate of sea level rise is somewhere between 2&3 mm/yr. The
average since the 19th century is about 1.7 mm/yr. In 1950 it was around
3 mm/yr and by 1975 it had dropped to around 1 mm/yr. So 23 mm/yr is
an outrageous exaggeration.

Youth should be more concerned with the US drowning in its national debt within 80 years than a "worst case" (based on ???) scenario sea level rise.

Post 2100:
ca112f54a.png

LOL Greta? She got busted since it was revealed that its her dad and some Indian climate nut is the one who actually writes her Facebook posts.

Facebook glitch reveals Indian UN climate delegate posts as Greta Thunberg - Michael Smith News

Post 2100:
ca112f54a.png

I think someone is playing fast and loose with the truth.
I look at that map and see my county (Harris, county, Texas) in on the map as blue.
The funny thing is almost no where in Harris county, would a 6 foot sea level rise make anyone move.
I am at the extreme low end of the county, and most everything is 20 feet plus above the mean high tide.
Downtown Houston is at about 50 feet above sea level, going down to 44 feet would not change much.
Perhaps the article is saying that "some" residents would have to be displaced, by implying all residence
would be displaced for a more dramatic graphic!

...If sea levels rise by six feet by 2100...

Six feet by 2100 comes to almost 23 mm/yr every year for the next 80 years.
The current rate of sea level rise is somewhere between 2&3 mm/yr. The
average since the 19th century is about 1.7 mm/yr. In 1950 it was around
3 mm/yr and by 1975 it had dropped to around 1 mm/yr. So 23 mm/yr is
an outrageous exaggeration.

What makes you think it's a constant?

I think someone is playing fast and loose with the truth.
I look at that map and see my county (Harris, county, Texas) in on the map as blue.
The funny thing is almost no where in Harris county, would a 6 foot sea level rise make anyone move.
I am at the extreme low end of the county, and most everything is 20 feet plus above the mean high tide.
Downtown Houston is at about 50 feet above sea level, going down to 44 feet would not change much.
Perhaps the article is saying that "some" residents would have to be displaced, by implying all residence
would be displaced for a more dramatic graphic!

Yes, that would be the deniers.

Who cares who cares? I wanna hear a plausible solution...so far I ain't heard none...

Yes, that would be the deniers.
What is being denied?
My house in near the low end of Harris County and is at 29 feet.
A 6 foot sea level raise by 2100, while almost impossible, would alter almost nothing.
Some fools who choose to take the risk and build right on the water line will loose their property to the state,
but they see that same risk with any storm.

Who cares who cares? I wanna hear a plausible solution...so far I ain't heard none...
The only plausible, is to address humanities actual problems, not the imagined ones.
We have a real energy problem, solving that will address any issues with CO2, ether real or imagined.

What is being denied?
My house in near the low end of Harris County and is at 29 feet.
A 6 foot sea level raise by 2100, while almost impossible, would alter almost nothing.
Some fools who choose to take the risk and build right on the water line will loose their property to the state,
but they see that same risk with any storm.

It doesn't say the ocean will sweep in and turn properties in Harris Co to beach front.

A solution for what? :)

This...

Green Is Blue
Neil Young, Crazy Horse
We watch the old news
Distracted as they talked on and on in the usual way
About the latest lies, deceptions
We saw tomorrow, we long for a better day
And I know why green is blue
There's so much we didn't do
Oh, I know why green is blue
We heard the warning calls, ignored them
We watched the weather change, we saw the fires and floods
We saw the people rise, divided
We fought each other while we lost our coveted prize
That we knew we had to do
And we know why green is blue
We watched the species die, we saw the coral turning
We watched the oceans rise
We saw the pot of whales lay bloated
On the shore where they baked, but we missed that sign
We saw the polar bear, she floated
On a piece of ice from another time
So I know

Neil's solution...but is it plausible? I don't think so but it seems to be the only solution...so, what is the solution?

Shut It Down
Neil Young, Crazy Horse
Have to shut the whole system down
People tryin' to save this earth
From an ugly death
People tryin' to live, working
In a world of meat factories
All around the planet
There's a blindness that just can't see
They're all wearing climate change
As cool as they can be
Shut it down, shut it down
That's the only way we can all be free
Start again and build it for eternity
What about the animals?
What about the birds and bees?
What about the bookshelves?
What about the history?
When I look at the future
I see hope for you and me
Working, working for eternity
Work it now
Working for eternity
Gonna shut the whole system down
Got to shut the whole system down

It doesn't say the ocean will sweep in and turn properties in Harris Co to beach front.
It says,
Blue indicates counties where flooding will displace residents if sea levels rise by six feet by 2100
It does not state a percentage, .01%, there are always some people who pick bad places to put up houses.
It is hyperbole, pure and simple!

At this point in time, the option of a 'solution' is no longer available to the world. The only option left is mitigating the damage. A few years might be shaved off if we can curtail using fossil fuels like coal and oil. It would help a lot if people simply consumed less. If people cut back on consumption results in fewer fossil fuels being burned to extract, produce and ship products around the globe. Eliminating the unnecessary trips like driving your kid the one mile to school and letting him walk it, or car pooling with the other soccer moms to get the kiddies to soccer practice in one car instead of six would reduce carbon emissions a lot. Driving a fuel efficient car would also cut down on emissions pouring less toxins into the atmosphere. Reusing plastic bottles by recycling also helps the environment.

The government is a whole other story when it comes to preventing global warming. I hate to even suggest such a thing here because I can expect an avalanche of objection but if the price of gasoline in the US was even close to what every other civilized country on the planet pays for gasoline, we would be able to fulfill two objections, decrease the national debt and reduce carbon emissions. Alternative energy sources like wind and solar power greatly reduce greenhouse toxins in the atmosphere. Putting back the EPA regulations that Trump removed only because removing them helps his rich oil and gas barons get wealthy and because they were good programs put into place by Trump's nemesis, Barack Obama.

This...

Green Is Blue
Neil Young, Crazy Horse
We watch the old news
Distracted as they talked on and on in the usual way
About the latest lies, deceptions
We saw tomorrow, we long for a better day
And I know why green is blue
Oh, I know why green is blue
We heard the warning calls, ignored them
We watched the weather change, we saw the fires and floods
We saw the people rise, divided
We fought each other while we lost our coveted prize
That we knew we had to do
And we know why green is blue
We watched the species die, we saw the coral turning
We watched the oceans rise
We saw the pot of whales lay bloated
On the shore where they baked, but we missed that sign
We saw the polar bear, she floated
On a piece of ice from another time
So I know

Neil's solution...but is it plausible? I don't think so but it seems to be the only solution...so, what is the solution?

Shut It Down
Neil Young, Crazy Horse
People tryin' to save this earth
From an ugly death
People tryin' to live, working
In a world of meat factories
All around the planet
There's a blindness that just can't see
They're all wearing climate change
As cool as they can be
That's the only way we can all be free
Start again and build it for eternity
What about the animals?
What about the birds and bees?
What about the bookshelves?
What about the history?
Working, working for eternity
Work it now
Working for eternity
Gonna shut the whole system down

Neil Young is awesome, but there is no climate crisis. That's pure sci-fi. :D

At this point in time, the option of a 'solution' is no longer available to the world. The only option left is mitigating the damage. A few years might be shaved off if we can curtail using fossil fuels like coal and oil. It would help a lot if people simply consumed less. If people cut back on consumption results in fewer fossil fuels being burned to extract, produce and ship products around the globe. Eliminating the unnecessary trips like driving your kid the one mile to school and letting him walk it, or car pooling with the other soccer moms to get the kiddies to soccer practice in one car instead of six would reduce carbon emissions a lot. Driving a fuel efficient car would also cut down on emissions pouring less toxins into the atmosphere. Reusing plastic bottles by recycling also helps the environment.

The government is a whole other story when it comes to preventing global warming. I hate to even suggest such a thing here because I can expect an avalanche of objection but if the price of gasoline in the US was even close to what every other civilized country on the planet pays for gasoline, we would be able to fulfill two objections, decrease the national debt and reduce carbon emissions. Alternative energy sources like wind and solar power greatly reduce greenhouse toxins in the atmosphere. Putting back the EPA regulations that Trump removed only because removing them helps his rich oil and gas barons get wealthy and because they were good programs put into place by Trump's nemesis, Barack Obama.

In other words...shutting the whole system down and starting over...

Ya don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows...I think most people can see,hear, and feel something in the air is definitely wrong...

In other words...shutting the whole system down and starting over...

What do you mean by 'shutting the whole system down'?

What do you mean by 'shutting the whole system down'?

Practically everything we do these days is bad for the environment...the soil, the air, the water...etc.

I live in what has historically been one of the colder parts of this country and I have tulips coming up through the ground in my front yard, wild garlic is sprouting on the front lawn. I have never in my life experienced temperate temperatures in the 50's in either January or February. Last year was definitely warmer, less snow. Normally we could expect temperatures at or below zero in these two months. We measured the snow last year in inches instead of feet as we usually do. We've had one snowfall all winter this year and that was just a few inches of soft snow that melted before we could shovel it.

I'm no scientist but these things tell me that something's going on and it's not good.

Practically everything we do these days is bad for the environment...the soil, the air, the water...etc.

Well that's the point. These are things under the control of man and can be changed.

I live in what has historically been one of the colder parts of this country and I have tulips coming up through the ground in my front yard, wild garlic is sprouting on the front lawn. I have never in my life experienced temperate temperatures in the 50's in either January or February. Last year was definitely warmer, less snow. We measured the snow last year in inches instead of feet as we usually do. We've had one snowfall all winter this year and that was just a few inches of soft snow that melted before we could shovel it.

I'm no scientist but these things tell me that something's going on and it's not good.

Exactly...it was 69 here yesterday...63 today, and even though I live in VA, it is usually stomp down cold here in Feb...

Back
Top Bottom