• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the GOP will never be rid of Trump

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
W. James Antle III

THis is Donald Trump's Republican Party now. The rest of us are just living in it.
The biggest mistake Republicans can make is to assume that Trump's implosion and likely defeat in November would solve all the party's problems. It's tempting for Republicans to tell themselves that the party that has had such great success winning state legislative seats and the last two midterm elections would have won the White House if Trump hadn't screwed it up. But the fact is that millions of rank-and-file Republican voters don't feel like they have anything to show for those victories. The more ideological among them can't help but notice the party hasn't accomplished its ideological goals. Others are clearly starting to question whether aspects of the ideology — free trade, employer-friendly immigration policies, foreign wars, and even cuts to the top tax rate — serve their material interests.
GOP elites hope they can simply bid the Trump voters good riddance and then the new voters will come. This is wishful thinking. New Deal liberals and civil rights supporters had to coexist inside the Democratic Party with Southern segregationists for decades before their coalition could be remade.

"Go to hell" might be an appropriate response to an alt-right Twitter user sending you racist memes on social media. It is not a constructive response to 40 percent of the Republican primary electorate.

I dont know this author but the above quote is right on, with the exception that I dont know at this point that Trump is going to lose in Nov.

W. James Antle III

I dont know this author but the above quote is right on, with the exception that I dont know at this point that Trump is going to lose
Nice find, great article, and thank you for posting it.

Besides agreeing with it, I'd like to add:

Donald Trump has shown there's a huge demographic that's been ignored by both parties - the white working-class middle-aged (and older) voters.

Both parties, particularly the Dems, pay hollow lip-service to this group while simply patronizing them. They know this. They can feel this.

Oddly enough, this demographic used to be a Democratic Party stronghold, the backbone of the party at one time. I know this well, from having come up Democrat working-class Catholic. But this association slipped over time, coming to an end at the 2008 Obama Democratic Primary. It was the one missing group in Obama's broad coalition, and was in fact the strength of HRC!

But now Trump seems to have quite a hold on this crowd, including cross-over 'Trump Democrats' - I know a few! Even in my family! And the GOP are in a way lucky they have them, Trump and all. Because if Hillary had them, the election would be a runaway landslide.

But this brings-up the question: How did Hillary lose her most prevalent base group?

Interesting goings-on this year ...

Nice find, great article, and thank you for posting it.

Besides agreeing with it, I'd like to add:

Donald Trump has shown there's a huge demographic that's been ignored by both parties - the white working-class middle-aged (and older) voters.

Both parties, particularly the Dems, pay hollow lip-service to this group while simply patronizing them. They know this. They can feel this.

Oddly enough, this demographic used to be a Democratic Party stronghold, the backbone of the party at one time. I know this well, from having come up Democrat working-class Catholic. But this association slipped over time, coming to an end at the 2008 Obama Democratic Primary. It was the one missing group in Obama's broad coalition, and was in fact the strength of HRC!

But now Trump seems to have quite a hold on this crowd, including cross-over 'Trump Democrats' - I know a few! Even in my family! And the GOP are in a way lucky they have them, Trump and all. Because if Hillary had them, the election would be a runaway landslide.

But this brings-up the question: How did Hillary lose her most prevalent base group?

Interesting goings-on this year ...

The D's have ignored the white working class except for on rare occasion, because the bet was that guilting them into supporting pandering to the genetic minorities at their own expense as a part of the victim culture which the D's have long held close and dear will always work.

No it will not, people are often willing to let themselves be lied to and pushed around, but they eventually figure out that they have been getting the shaft. Then we get to watch ALL HELL break loose (Sanders. Trump.). It got so bad that in many cases the elite plum forgot that the people that they had long been ignoring and guilting into silence were even there.

The D's are no worse than the R's, the elite of both branches have long ignored any desires of the people which did not conform to the Utopias that they are driving for.

And Thank You SIR.

:thanks

Note: It is depressing that such a good idea for a thread as this gets widely ignored here at DP. I really wish we would make some effort to work on our crap/quality ratio. I see a lot of complaining about it, but I see not enough effort to do something different. Smart people who have interesting ideas and who can also use the English language must be supported, whether we agree with their ideas or not.

Last edited:
Note: I majorly changed the post above AFTER Chomsky submitted his :thumbs:

He may no longer support it, IDK.

:peace be with you.

:pimpdaddy:

Back
Top Bottom