• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why the FDA might ban menthol cigarettes

I love how yahoo news can come up with such a sensationalist headline and then give you the actual money graf in the middle of the article that says this:

A ban in the U.S., or even new regulation, isn't a slam dunk, though. One thing that is? More studies. One of them will look at whether there's a physiological property to menthol that makes it more addictive or alluring to certain ethnic groups.

If a ban were to be implemented wouldn't you think that Congress would have enabled it first? The FDA doesn't have the authority to implement something by itself. Moreover there's no evidence in the actual article itself that suggests the FDA considering a ban.

People not only start smoking menthols earlier in life; menthol smokers also light up earlier in the morning, wake up to smoke more at night, have lower rates of quitting smoking and higher rates of relapsing if they do quit.

I'm guessing that's socioeconomic.

Could someone explain to me what menthol cigarettes are compared to normal ones? I see them advertised in Popular Mechanics (almost all the ads are cigarettes) all the time but I have no idea what it means. I have no idea if they exist here since advertising is banned.

Could someone explain to me what menthol cigarettes are compared to normal ones? I see them advertised in Popular Mechanics (almost all the ads are cigarettes) all the time but I have no idea what it means. I have no idea if they exist here since advertising is banned.

Menthol cigarettes have kind of a mint flavor to them. It's usually very strong. People who like them really like them, and people who don't like them really don't like them. There's no middle ground of opinion.

My dad smoked them for decades. I knew a couple guys in the Army that smoked menthols simply because most other people wouldn't ask for any.

Oh, geez. You've already got smokers pushed outside and generally ostracized. Leave well enough along and let people have their menthols if that's what they want.

That's racist. When I was in the army, I smoked. And I found out that if I wanted my supply of cigarettes to last for the duration of a field exercise, Camel cigarettes were the best bet because about half our unit wouldn't be begging "a square" if it wasn't menthol.

OMG someone is enjoying something, let us get the FDA nannies involved because we must put a stop to any enjoyment of life at all. If people want to smoke them let it happen. I do not like them, but who the hell acres if people enjoy them? If you want to make smoke free areas, great go for it. Get off the idea that they should be restricted simply because people enjoy them.

We have way, way too much government.

Back
Top Bottom