• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why so much interest from Trump for a Hotel in Russia?

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump interest in putting a Hotel(s) in Russia has been a topic of discussion and disaccord since he got elected. Trump supporters have defended him by saying "but it never got done", meaning that nothing has happened.

Nonetheless, my question has been different inasmuch as my question is more about the interest he has shown in having a Hotel in Moscow than about whether anything has happened.

Russia has never been known as being a place where a Capitalistic venture will have much success. Certainly, there are many other places in the world where a Trump Hotel would offer much more profits than one in Russia, such as France, Germany, China, Japan, etc. Why the interest in having a Hotel in Russia?

Trump owned Hotels

Since 1987, Trump has had interest in a having a Hotel in Russia:

Business projects of Donald Trump in Russia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Trump has pursued business deals in Russia since 1987, and has sometimes traveled there to explore potential business opportunities. In 1996, Trump trademark applications were submitted for potential Russian real estate development deals. Trump's partners and children have repeatedly visited Moscow, connecting with developers and government officials to explore joint venture opportunities. Trump was never able to successfully conclude any real estate deals in Russia. However, individual Russians have invested heavily in Trump properties, and following Trump's bankruptcies in the 1990s he borrowed money from Russian sources. In 2008 his son Donald Trump Jr. said that Russia was an important source of money for the Trump businesses.

In January 2017, BuzzFeed reported the existence of the unverified Trump–Russia dossier (also called the Steele dossier), which alleges connections between Trump associates and Russia. Trump responded the next day, and again at a February news conference, that he has no financial connections to Russia. In response to ongoing questions, White House press secretary Sean Spicer reiterated in May that Trump has no business connections to Russia. Also in May, Trump's tax lawyers sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee saying Trump had not received any income from Russian sources over the past 10 years "with a few exceptions".

Trump's pre-Presidential business dealings with Russia are reportedly being scrutinized by the special counsel.

In July 2018, The Daily Beast reported on a search engine optimization project intended to minimize public awareness of Trump's connections to an associate who worked on these projects with him.

Why the interest and then why the cover-up?

If anyone can come up with a rational explanation of this that does not somehow touch on Trump having a "personal" interest in having a Hotel in Putin's Russia, I would certainly welcome it.

Trump interest in putting a Hotel(s) in Russia has been a topic of discussion and disaccord since he got elected. Trump supporters have defended him by saying "but it never got done", meaning that nothing has happened.

Nonetheless, my question has been different inasmuch as my question is more about the interest he has shown in having a Hotel in Moscow than about whether anything has happened.

Russia has never been known as being a place where a Capitalistic venture will have much success. Certainly, there are many other places in the world where a Trump Hotel would offer much more profits than one in Russia, such as France, Germany, China, Japan, etc. Why the interest in having a Hotel in Russia?

Trump owned Hotels

Since 1987, Trump has had interest in a having a Hotel in Russia:

Business projects of Donald Trump in Russia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Trump has pursued business deals in Russia since 1987, and has sometimes traveled there to explore potential business opportunities. In 1996, Trump trademark applications were submitted for potential Russian real estate development deals. Trump's partners and children have repeatedly visited Moscow, connecting with developers and government officials to explore joint venture opportunities. Trump was never able to successfully conclude any real estate deals in Russia. However, individual Russians have invested heavily in Trump properties, and following Trump's bankruptcies in the 1990s he borrowed money from Russian sources. In 2008 his son Donald Trump Jr. said that Russia was an important source of money for the Trump businesses.

In January 2017, BuzzFeed reported the existence of the unverified Trump–Russia dossier (also called the Steele dossier), which alleges connections between Trump associates and Russia. Trump responded the next day, and again at a February news conference, that he has no financial connections to Russia. In response to ongoing questions, White House press secretary Sean Spicer reiterated in May that Trump has no business connections to Russia. Also in May, Trump's tax lawyers sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee saying Trump had not received any income from Russian sources over the past 10 years "with a few exceptions".

Trump's pre-Presidential business dealings with Russia are reportedly being scrutinized by the special counsel.

In July 2018, The Daily Beast reported on a search engine optimization project intended to minimize public awareness of Trump's connections to an associate who worked on these projects with him.

Why the interest and then why the cover-up?

If anyone can come up with a rational explanation of this that does not somehow touch on Trump having a "personal" interest in having a Hotel in Putin's Russia, I would certainly welcome it.

Lots of very wealthy people in Russia. That's a lucrative market. Not many hotels to fill that market. Low competition. Trump licensing his name for a cream of the crop venture would be a smart move. Those other countries you mentioned...with the exception of China, they already have top-line hotels. That means a lot of competition. China? I'm not sure there are enough very wealthy people there...plus, given the Chinese government's control, it might not be a good place to make a deal.

So yeah...it just makes good business sense.

Russia has never been known where a capitalist venture will succeed..............
Their nickle works is share based owned. As is some of their oil companies. And then theirs my favorite.
Volga Gas. Bunch of Brits who made it all happen from the ground floor up. Prolly one of the top five oil, gas, condy and natural
gas liquids producers on the planet when concidering rate of return for an invested 2019 dollar.
The Trumps only wanted to be in a business climate that they could have 24% returns on their invested capital.

Why so much interest from Trump for a Hotel in Russia?

Seems to me that project portended to be a fine money laundering vehicle. That's why there's interest in it.

Seems to me that project portended to be a fine money laundering vehicle. That's why there's interest in it.

Funny that no Trump supporters have yet chimed in on this thread. They do not have any good reasons to offer as to why Trump was trying to build a Hotel in Russia and given that they do not want to hear the negative reasons, such as the one you offered, they stay away.

Funny that no Trump supporters have yet chimed in on this thread. They do not have any good reasons to offer as to why Trump was trying to build a Hotel in Russia and given that they do not want to hear the negative reasons, such as the one you offered, they stay away.

Red:
Yes.

Blue:
I'm loathe to postulate the motivations of people whom I don't know. I also don't speculate on the motives of folks I know but don't know well. I will infer the motives of folks who've given a body of words and deeds that lead preponderantly to a cogent conclusion about their motives.

Lots of very wealthy people in Russia. That's a lucrative market. Not many hotels to fill that market. Low competition. Trump licensing his name for a cream of the crop venture would be a smart move. Those other countries you mentioned...with the exception of China, they already have top-line hotels. That means a lot of competition. China? I'm not sure there are enough very wealthy people there...plus, given the Chinese government's control, it might not be a good place to make a deal.

So yeah...it just makes good business sense.

Don't you think it is funny the OP thinks the Russia hotel deal started only when Trump decided to run for President?

Had trump wanted to open a hotel, any hotel, in Canada, or in Turkey, or in Israel, couldn't you ask the same thing?

Why does a businessman do anything?

When a businessman sees an opportunity, he lusts after it until it is proven to not be profitable, and then heartlessly forsaken.

Back
Top Bottom