• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why so much hate in Texas?

I am a native Texan. Born, raised, educated right there in the Great State of Texas.

Like most Texans, I have a tendency to brag. You know, "Texas is biggest, bluest skies, prettiest girls, God's country, yada, yada, yada." :roll:

After moving away in the service of Uncle Sam, I got a glimpse of the world outside Texas. Now, I find all that braggadocio to be somewhat embarrassing when I hear my Texas friends and family doing it.

I go back to Texas from time to time. I find Texas best when taken in small doses. Although I love travelling the landscape and visiting old friends and family, I'm always glad to get back home from there.

Texas isn't how I remembered it. I watch all my old friends and family, wrapped in the flag and clutching their cross, spreading all kinds of lies and propaganda steeped in hatred for one group or another on their Facebook pages and also on sites like this. Why so much hate from Texas?

I was also surprised to learn that Texas has an alarming number of registered hate groups. Far out numbering any other state in the union.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

What went wrong Texas? Why so much gnashing of the teeth and oozing hatred for others?

Pray for Texas.

I can't really comment on Texas, never having spent much time there.

One thing I will say: if the Southern Poverty Law Center told me the sun was up and my watch said 10am, I'd look outside and check before I took their word on anything.

I am a native Texan. Born, raised, educated right there in the Great State of Texas.

Like most Texans, I have a tendency to brag. You know, "Texas is biggest, bluest skies, prettiest girls, God's country, yada, yada, yada." :roll:

After moving away in the service of Uncle Sam, I got a glimpse of the world outside Texas. Now, I find all that braggadocio to be somewhat embarrassing when I hear my Texas friends and family doing it.

I go back to Texas from time to time. I find Texas best when taken in small doses. Although I love travelling the landscape and visiting old friends and family, I'm always glad to get back home from there.

Texas isn't how I remembered it. I watch all my old friends and family, wrapped in the flag and clutching their cross, spreading all kinds of lies and propaganda steeped in hatred for one group or another on their Facebook pages and also on sites like this. Why so much hate from Texas?

I was also surprised to learn that Texas has an alarming number of registered hate groups. Far out numbering any other state in the union.

What went wrong Texas? Why so much gnashing of the teeth and oozing hatred for others?

Pray for Texas.

Lived here almost thirty years. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I haven't looked at a list of every borderline group in Texas. "Most" is just my attempt at stating that what these groups do is way over the line without condemning the average random person in Texas.

Personally, I don't see why it's anybody's buisness who gets married. If two people love each other, who the hell am I to tell the, that they can't be together?

Do you want me to cite what some of these groups have said or done? It seems to me your complaint is that you think I'm simply listing right wing groups instead of listing right wing groups that go over the line
No, cite what they have all done, give examples. You are stating they do what you say they do, now back up the claim.

You can personally believe anything you want. The Constitution left it up to the states and the people to decide on things, such as the privilege of marriage, not specifically enumerated in the Constitution. Your opinion about the matter in no way is superior to a State's or a majority's opinion/authority in any particular State about the matters not so enumerated.

What a laugh Glen.

Immutable =unchanging over time or unable to be changed. So, lets ask the question, can someone change from LBGT to being straight if they wanted? It can be done, it is not unchangable. Can one change their opinions on the Holacaust? Not immutable. Can a Jewish person change their religion if the want to? Can a Muslim? There, I think that is sufficient to counter the immutable characteristics claim.

And why is it that SPLC is so hateful of all the people in these groups to go so far as to label them hate groups... sounds rather broad brush to me... does SPLC add itself to its hate group list, I mean to be intellectually honest?

You're doing what we called being a "sea lawyer" back in the Navy - it referred to kids who would try to weasel out of something by heming and hawing, by using their own interpretations of regulations...and as with you, it simply never works. You're hanging your entire argument on the word "immutable". Race and ethnicity are not immutable at all - and that includes being Jewish - the Nazis made no distinction between whether a Jew practiced Judaism or not - if you were by their definition Jewish, it's off to the ovens with you!

And are you really going to try to make the argument that sexual orientation is a matter of choice? Dude. Are you heterosexual? Yes? Let's go with the assumption you are. Now, if Channing Tatum walked up to you all naked and oiled and looking as sexy as he possibly could (and most women really find him sexy, I understand), do you think you'd get all tingly down there and get horny 'cause he's standing next to you?

No?

Well, then, what the hell makes you think that someone who's truly gay could get himself all horny for, say, Scarlett Johannsen? Some are full-on hetero, some are full-on gay or lesbian...and some are in between...but we ALL are born that way. Get over it. There's no "therapy" to undo the hypothetical gay-ray - if you like to slob the knob now, you've always been that way, you'll always be that way. Get over it.

Both sides discriminate Glen, you guys wrap yourself in PC nonsense to justify it.

You're the one who accused us of hate. One side gets ticked off at people because they're of a different color. The other side gets ticked off because of what the first side does to them because of their color. But I get it - in YOUR world, pointing out what the other side does is every bit as wrong as doing what the other side does...sorta like telling a woman that she's just as guilty as the guy who raped her.

Oh, wait a minute - that IS what a whole lot of conservatives like to do - BLAME THE VICTIM!

No, cite what they have all done, give examples. You are stating they do what you say they do, now back up the claim.

You can personally believe anything you want. The Constitution left it up to the states and the people to decide on things, such as the privilege of marriage, not specifically enumerated in the Constitution. Your opinion about the matter in no way is superior to a State's or a majority's opinion/authority in any particular State about the matters not so enumerated.

Indeed it isn't. Which, seeing as most people seem to be fine with gay people getting married.....

Do you want groups in Texas in specific, or throughout the Western US?

Here's some of the groups I've found in Texas;

Rebel Brigade Knights of the True Invisible Empire(KKK affiliate)

Faith and Heritage(white supremacist/nationalist group)

About fifteen other variants of KKK affiliates, no need to right them all out.

Couple different Neo Nazi groups

Something called "Power of Prophecy"

New Black Panthers and a number of other black separatist/ nationalist groups

Camp Lonestar

Last edited:
Texas was born broken. That's its birthright.

It can fill itself with blue bonnets, friendly drivers (sometimes), oil drilling, and good universities, but none of those things will make it whole. It's Texas, and there's no cure for that.

The good news is that Texas doesn't want to be "cured." ;)

I hate to break this to anyone but Texas is small. Texas is just insecure about its size.

This is so true...especially when driving through it. Everything is just a hop, skip, and jump away. :lol:

You're doing what we called being a "sea lawyer" back in the Navy - it referred to kids who would try to weasel out of something by heming and hawing, by using their own interpretations of regulations...and as with you, it simply never works. You're hanging your entire argument on the word "immutable". Race and ethnicity are not immutable at all - and that includes being Jewish - the Nazis made no distinction between whether a Jew practiced Judaism or not - if you were by their definition Jewish, it's off to the ovens with you!

And are you really going to try to make the argument that sexual orientation is a matter of choice? Dude. Are you heterosexual? Yes? Let's go with the assumption you are. Now, if Channing Tatum walked up to you all naked and oiled and looking as sexy as he possibly could (and most women really find him sexy, I understand), do you think you'd get all tingly down there and get horny 'cause he's standing next to you?

No?

Well, then, what the hell makes you think that someone who's truly gay could get himself all horny for, say, Scarlett Johannsen? Some are full-on hetero, some are full-on gay or lesbian...and some are in between...but we ALL are born that way. Get over it. There's no "therapy" to undo the hypothetical gay-ray - if you like to slob the knob now, you've always been that way, you'll always be that way. Get over it.

Tossing aside the attempted childish little sea lawyer ad hom, if this were, indeed, Nazi Germany you might get half a point.

But this simply is not Nazi Germany, Glen. People may be of Jewish heritage but can most certainly become Christians... or atheists, or...hell, its America, whatever they want to be... its definitely not immutable. Even race, Obama is not black, he is half white. His daughters are actually more black than he is, so its all changeable... you just see it as black and white because it seems to make your particular argument at the moment. You were the one that stated the seemingly unassailable SPLC criteria was based typically on the immutable characteristics. Sorry, being and remaining Jewish or Muslim is not a permanent requirement of the universe. Just isn't.

As to sexual orientation, yes, that can be heavily influenced by environment. You think everyone that goes to prison was originally gay or bisexual?. And yet many people can and do resort to this sort of sexual behavior especially in conditions with limited options otherwise. You think abused children were genetically predisposed to be abused by the same sex [or not], then to be confused about their sexuality, sometimes for life? There is a lot of nurture applied to sexual orientation. Some experiment with bisexuality early in life and leave it behind, some don't... doesn't that mean its not immutable, if one changes? I ll answer for you, yes, its not immutable.

And for someone who tried to discard my apparent sea lawyering, you sure put a lot of effort, poor as it turned out, into refuting my counter immutability assertion.

You're the one who accused us of hate. One side gets ticked off at people because they're of a different color. The other side gets ticked off because of what the first side does to them because of their color. But I get it - in YOUR world, pointing out what the other side does is every bit as wrong as doing what the other side does...sorta like telling a woman that she's just as guilty as the guy who raped her.

Oh, wait a minute - that IS what a whole lot of conservatives like to do - BLAME THE VICTIM!

I don't ever do that. Not many do, you like to paint a broad brush of a few, as if the idiots at Westboro were really what us on the right want to be like and truly think.

Lived here almost thirty years. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Lived here even longer and been around the world and the US, and yes the guy is talking out of his southern end. Texas does not miss him and he should do himself a favor and stay where he fits in.

Indeed it isn't. Which, seeing as most people seem to be fine with gay people getting married.....

Do you want groups in Texas in specific, or throughout the Western US?

Here's some of the groups I've found in Texas;

Rebel Brigade Knights of the True Invisible Empire(KKK affiliate)

Faith and Heritage(white supremacist/nationalist group)

About fifteen other variants of KKK affiliates, no need to right them all out.

Couple different Neo Nazi groups

Something called "Power of Prophecy"

New Black Panthers and a number of other black separatist/ nationalist groups

Camp Lonestar

So you pick the ones that more fit your bill, but what about all the others? And while I am not going to go out of my way to defend White or Black nationalists or separatists, just because you feel superior or want to live separately does not automatically mean you are a hate group. I have two cats to whom I feel supremely superior, being their great provider of food, no doubt magically to them. But i love them both dearly.

I was more talking, as my post pointed out, those who do not agree with LBGT special privileges extensions, nor who are anti illegal immigrant and protecting our borders, etc...

Pray for Texas.

Hard to say what is going on in Texas. But, I too noticed it was a bit over the top when I went there for work a few times during the Bush years. I know one thing--I do not want the US to turn into one giant Texas.

That's not to say I want to see us turn into Massachusetts either. Maybe Ohio though.

So you pick the ones that more fit your bill, but what about all the others? And while I am not going to go out of my way to defend White or Black nationalists or separatists, just because you feel superior or want to live separately does not automatically mean you are a hate group. I have two cats to whom I feel supremely superior, being their great provider of food, no doubt magically to them. But i love them both dearly.

I was more talking, as my post pointed out, those who do not agree with LBGT special privileges extensions, nor who are anti illegal immigrant and protecting our borders, etc...

The difference is cats aren't people, obviously.

I have yet to hear about a supremacist group of any stripe that didn't violently hate ( insert ethnicity here)

I went back and glanced over the opening post. As I read, I found it curious, but interesting, how the author had, after years of reflection and introspection, decided that Texans for all practical purposes, were just a bunch of intolerant rednecks. As the membership began to reply it became apparent that many agreed. Sporadic defenders were summarily executed as the angry mob started to smell the blood in the water.

Some here profess to be so modern, so progressive, so politically correct, so righteously indignant, so accepting. In truth, your epic intolerance and lack of knowledge of anything of value before the year 2012 is disgusting. A long time ago, I knew a guy who was a two-faced phony. It's like deja vu, all over again.

The difference is cats aren't people, obviously.

I have yet to hear about a supremacist group of any stripe that didn't violently hate ( insert ethnicity here)
Be that as it may, with a conceit of superior nature does not automatically result in hate. For instance, I do not hate you, even though in this and other debates we've crossed words in I feel superior. As indicated in previous posts, define what you mean by hate... and in this case "violently hate". Give me some examples... is law enforcement involved if there is violence? I don't like actual violent extremist hate groups any more than any sane person. I just don't trust SPLC to be telling me which are the serious hate groups and which are just groups they don't like [ maybe even hate ]. Yano?

Also, that does not deal with the "most" part also discussed earlier. SPLC labels pretty much anything that is opposed to the stance of liberal client groups as a hate group.

I went back and glanced over the opening post. As I read, I found it curious, but interesting, how the author had, after years of reflection and introspection, decided that Texans for all practical purposes, were just a bunch of intolerant rednecks. As the membership began to reply it became apparent that many agreed. Sporadic defenders were summarily executed as the angry mob started to smell the blood in the water.

Some here profess to be so modern, so progressive, so politically correct, so righteously indignant, so accepting. In truth, your epic intolerance and lack of knowledge of anything of value before the year 2012 is disgusting. A long time ago, I knew a guy who was a two-faced phony. It's like deja vu, all over again.

Texas throws it political weight around, uses its influence to dictate what happens in the US in general. CA doesn't do that. So, we have a legit beef.

Be that as it may, with a conceit of superior nature does not automatically result in hate. For instance, I do not hate you, even though in this and other debates we've crossed words in I feel superior. As indicated in previous posts, define what you mean by hate... and in this case "violently hate". Give me some examples... is law enforcement involved if there is violence? I don't like actual violent extremist hate groups any more than any sane person. I just don't trust SPLC to be telling me which are the serious hate groups and which are just groups they don't like [ maybe even hate ]. Yano?

Also, that does not deal with the "most" part also discussed earlier. SPLC labels pretty much anything that is opposed to the stance of liberal client groups as a hate group.

My definition of violently hate is "a group which, through rhetoric and sometimes through actual violence, attempts to drive out a certain ethnic group, make life harder for them or simply kill them."

One example would be the New Black Panther Party, which is too radical even for the original Black Panthers. They are virulently anti white and anti Semitic, blaming Jews for 9/11 and the slave trade.

Last edited:
After living in Corpus/Ingleside my last 9 months in the Navy, I can see why Texans brag.

I loved the state (except Brownsville).

Texans tend to drive friendly once you clear the big cities. The folk were always very friendly!

It has almost gators than Florida....(something I learned the hard way)

Open country!

Gulf coast!...... Padre Island

You have everything in Texas.

I can see why folks brag.

shhhh....Corpus and Rockport are carefully guarded secrets.

The beaches are crap, it is terribly expensive to live there, everyone is bigoted and mean, and the water is all polluted with oil, and the shrimp and redfish are tainted with mercury.

Spread the word, loud and long till everyone starts believing it.

Texas was born broken. That's its birthright.

It can fill itself with blue bonnets, friendly drivers (sometimes), oil drilling, and good universities, but none of those things will make it whole. It's Texas, and there's no cure for that.

nor is there a desire for a "cure." We are proud to be "broken" in other people's eyes.

We will get along somehow.

My definition of violently hate is "a group which, through rhetoric and sometimes through actual violence, attempts to drive out a certain ethnic group, make life harder for them or simply kill them."

One example would be the New Black Panther Party, which is too radical even for the original Black Panthers. They are virulently anti white and anti Semitic, blaming Jews for 9/11 and the slave trade.
Offensive rhetoric is allowed under freedom of speech. Actual offensive violence is illegal and I would wholeheartedly agree could and should be considered valid hate. Making something harder for some other group is not legitimate in my estimation, as both political parties do this all the time to each other and try to drive the other out of existence. That could on either side be considered hate but not to the point of being classified as a hate group I would think you would agree.

I am not so sure about how well accepted the NBP might be by the original. The original were murderous violent types, pretty anti white, anti system. I am unaware, as it is not an area of focus for me, what the views of the Black Panthers were on Jewish folk.

Lived here even longer and been around the world and the US, and yes the guy is talking out of his southern end. Texas does not miss him and he should do himself a favor and stay where he fits in.

I got into it with him when I first joined DP. He agreed with Threegoofs saying all Texans are rapists.
He never seems to miss a chance to run down Texas whenever he can.

My guess is there was a rift with his family down here that caused all of his hate toward Texas.

but....his family issues are absolutely none of my business, ...but his endless running down Texas and Texans at every opportunity is my business, and I will call him on it each and every time he does.

shhhh....Corpus and Rockport are carefully guarded secrets.

The beaches are crap, it is terribly expensive to live there, everyone is bigoted and mean, and the water is all polluted with oil, and the shrimp and redfish are tainted with mercury.

Spread the word, loud and long till everyone starts believing it.

Absolutely. STAY AWAY from Rockport, Port A, Port Isabel, Laguna Madre and any other coastal town that has an abundance of speckled trout and redfish. The water there will make your babies come out naked and toothless.

I got into it with him when I first joined DP. He agreed with Threegoofs saying all Texans are rapists.
He never seems to miss a chance to run down Texas whenever he can.

My guess is there was a rift with his family down here that caused all of his hate toward Texas.

but....his family issues are absolutely none of my business, ...but his endless running down Texas and Texans at every opportunity is my business, and I will call him on it each and every time he does.

I would challenge that I EVER stated that all Texans were rapists. Hell. that doesn't even make sense. If you can produce the quote I will make a public apology. I won't hold my breath.

As far as my family goes, I love them all and we get along great. We are currently planning a reunion to be held at Ratcliff Lake in the Davy Crockett National Forest between Crockett and Lufkin. You couldn't be more wrong. (Well, maybe you could.)

The only problem I am having with Texas is that I do not understand why the people I know there, have jumped on some kind of Bandwagon of Anger. They seem to have the most gullible and misinformed people on the planet. Evidence is even shown here at DP from some of our esteemed Texas members. (Present company accepted.)

If I didn't have so many people I care and love for in Texas it would not concern me. Other people seemed to have noticed the same behaviors coming out of Texas as I am pointing out. So, I know it's not just me wondering why Texans (general speaking,) seemed to have gone off the deep end.

I have just enough Texan in me to not give a **** how you feel about me RetiredNSmiling. I got just as many chevrons on my crow as you do. I will be as nice to you as you are to me. No more no less. You are dismissed.

Offensive rhetoric is allowed under freedom of speech. Actual offensive violence is illegal and I would wholeheartedly agree could and should be considered valid hate. Making something harder for some other group is not legitimate in my estimation, as both political parties do this all the time to each other and try to drive the other out of existence. That could on either side be considered hate but not to the point of being classified as a hate group I would think you would agree.

I am not so sure about how well accepted the NBP might be by the original. The original were murderous violent types, pretty anti white, anti system. I am unaware, as it is not an area of focus for me, what the views of the Black Panthers were on Jewish folk.

Yeah. That's part of my point. If even the originals consider the new guys to be off the deep end......

The Dallas shooter apparently supported the New Black Panthers, so clearly rhetoric leads to action a good number of times.

Back
Top Bottom