• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why shouldn't jails have 100% camera coverage?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
There are a lot of things that happen in jails. I've been told by a former inmate they could get drugs more easily in jail than out. Epstein. Shankings and assaults. On and on.

Why shouldn't jails have cameras recording every square inch? That would presumably allow identifying any sources of drugs, what happened in an assault, and so on.

I can't think of a reason. The one somewhat delicate issue is 'privacy', which might sound silly for a jail, but ok, inmates use the toilet, they do private things. Two options for this, one is to limit review of tapes of private areas unless there is a specific need to investigate, another is jut to say they don't have a right to privacy.

It would also help with the terrible problem of prisoner rape. It would also help with any staff wrongdoing, protecting prisoners. I don't see why this should not be done in every jail.

There are a lot of things that happen in jails. I've been told by a former inmate they could get drugs more easily in jail than out. Epstein. Shankings and assaults. On and on.

Why shouldn't jails have cameras recording every square inch? That would presumably allow identifying any sources of drugs, what happened in an assault, and so on.

I can't think of a reason. The one somewhat delicate issue is 'privacy', which might sound silly for a jail, but ok, inmates use the toilet, they do private things. Two options for this, one is to limit review of tapes of private areas unless there is a specific need to investigate, another is jut to say they don't have a right to privacy.

It would also help with the terrible problem of prisoner rape. It would also help with any staff wrongdoing, protecting prisoners. I don't see why this should not be done in every jail.

Off the top of my head. The main limiting factor for doing as such, would be the budget.
Most facilities don't operate efficiently enough to do as such and when prisoners start destroying cameras. It makes things harder to maintain, not to mention the problem of having them installed in the first place.

Having them would be nice, but getting them in the first place. Is what turns out to be the largest of the issues.

Who do you thing really makes money from vice in jails?

Hint: it ain't the inmates.

Off the top of my head. The main limiting factor for doing as such, would be the budget.
Most facilities don't operate efficiently enough to do as such and when prisoners start destroying cameras. It makes things harder to maintain, not to mention the problem of having them installed in the first place.

Having them would be nice, but getting them in the first place. Is what turns out to be the largest of the issues.

Cameras are cheap. They can put cameras everywhere and should. They do pinhole cameras that the inmates would be hard pressed to find. More cameras and more sound would make things safer by far.

I agree. Jails should be like the Truman show and wired up for audio and video. Very little should happen without the jails knowledge.

Cameras are cheap. They can put cameras everywhere and should. They do pinhole cameras that the inmates would be hard pressed to find. More cameras and more sound would make things safer by far.

My facility currently has 16 separate cameras, per floor. They monitor all blind intesections and the entrances to several restricted, or high traffic doors.
We've been asking for another five to cover the rest of the floor, but we keep getting citations on cost. Not to mention the hassle that getting the last six installed caused.

When it comes to camera coverage everywhere, you may actually start to see advocacy groups get into the conversation as well.

My facility currently has 16 separate cameras, per floor. They monitor all blind intesections and the entrances to several restricted, or high traffic doors.
We've been asking for another five to cover the rest of the floor, but we keep getting citations on cost. Not to mention the hassle that getting the last six installed caused.

When it comes to camera coverage everywhere, you may actually start to see advocacy groups get into the conversation as well.

In a jail or prison everything should be monitored and recorded period. We have the technology to do this. It needs to be done. A prison is supposedly the most controlled space in America.

I have more than that number of cameras on my boat. 6 just in the engine room and I have 10 on my commercial truck. A typical mini drone I build has three wide band ccd arrays each with over 60 mega pixels in resolution. The typical array is made by stitching 3 commercial Sony 20 mp ccd chips together. That gives over 180 mp in coverage. With a small drone.

In a jail or prison everything should be monitored and recorded period. We have the technology to do this. It needs to be done. A prison is supposedly the most controlled space in America.

I have more than that number of cameras on my boat. 6 just in the engine room and I have 10 on my commercial truck. A typical mini drone I build has three wide band ccd arrays each with over 60 mega pixels in resolution. The typical array is made by stitching 3 commercial Sony 20 mp ccd chips together. That gives over 180 mp in coverage. With a small drone.

Good, now you just need to install them without inmates being the wiser, keep them monitored, update any system you're using for them to be monitored and working with the whole mess that such a decision brings.

I would like it if we could have all prisons monitored like that. But the main problem is that we most likely can't do that, or at least not too the extent that you are suggesting.

Why shouldn't jails have 100% camera coverage?

"prison justice" should not be a thing. we incarcerate more people than almost anyone else. you are one false accusation or botched investigation away from being in prison. i support putting cameras everywhere in prisons and holding the wardens accountable for all violent and sexual assaults. i also support ending the private prison system.

Because someone would have to sit on their ass and review them(LOL)

Do you want a camera on an inmate talking a dump?(LOL)

"prison justice" should not be a thing. we incarcerate more people than almost anyone else. you are one false accusation or botched investigation away from being in prison. i support putting cameras everywhere in prisons and holding the wardens accountable for all violent and sexual assaults. i also support ending the private prison system.

we incarcerate more people than almost anyone else

And who makes up the greatest % of that?

And who makes up the greatest % of that?

i'm not sure. first, you'll have to tell me in which direction you're trying to deflect the discussion. however, i stand by my argument.

i'm not sure. first, you'll have to tell me in which direction you're trying to deflect the discussion. however, i stand by my argument.

No, no "deflection" at all

Just filling in what you left out

Because someone would have to sit on their ass and review them(LOL)

Do you want a camera on an inmate talking a dump?(LOL)

Some already have that. Then again, would you like to be the man that has to go in there and clean the scat off of the cameras?

Why limit this 24/7/365 electronic surveillance to our jails/prisons? Let's do that in all publicly owned facilities like public schools and public housing which also have problems with illegal drug sales/use and various other crimes.

It would be impossible to have 100% coverage and the people in the know are just going to use the blind spots to their advantage.

The funds and manpower spent on that would be better used for prison prevention programs.

...MUCH MUCH more important is the fact that the stinking republicrats have filled the prisons with people who shouldn't be there... republicrats... ugh...

Last edited:
Already, the experience with existing video systems is lack of maintenance and proper use and storage of recorded information. Everybody is gung ho immediately upon installation. Then, things get let go. Epstein had two of the cameras focused on his jail cell not in working order when he hung himself. Video systems are no better/smarter than the people that use them.

Good, now you just need to install them without inmates being the wiser, keep them monitored, update any system you're using for them to be monitored and working with the whole mess that such a decision brings.

I would like it if we could have all prisons monitored like that. But the main problem is that we most likely can't do that, or at least not too the extent that you are suggesting.

We build and modify prisons all the time. This isnt about ability its about policy. It gores someones ox somewhere.

We build and modify prisons all the time. This isnt about ability its about policy. It gores someones ox somewhere.

Yes, you're completely right about that.
Tough we have precedent that an inmate does not have reasonable expectation of privacy. It's always going to be a soft button issue for someone, somewhere.

Now in the cases of privately owned and not stated run facilities. I can always see the case of this kind of security being easier to come by. But state run prisons on the other hand. I feel that they would keep that particular ball in the air for far too long, until everyone just forgets about it.

Back
Top Bottom