• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why should I stay in Iraq?! I want to be home!

S

SergeW

This makes me utterly ripped off when I hear "you-gotta-hung-up-in-Iraq-for-some-half-year-boys". WTF !!! I've been in Iraq since the start, I'm already a veteran! My contract is off, I've performed my duty, America, and I want to go home to see my family!!

Who the hell are they to make decisions like that?

"You see, we are in a draft shortfall". Why the hell should I care? This is their problem, not mine!

Of course there would be a shortfall - who on earth will want to risk his life and come here if the gov rats on the promises and prolongs the service?

Personally I do not want extra money, I just wanna be home.

They say, "The Army is overpressured". What the hell do they know about being overpressured?

I heard Sen. Lieberman would say while ago, "We have the most powerful army in the history of the world", "we are capable, if necessary, of continuing to pursue our aims militarily in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere and, if necessary, conduct a military attack against Iran." Pooh! This one seems to be absolutely unaware of what goes on about! I thought only Bush was a Martian... Now I know, not only him.

I have a family member in Iraq....it's tough, your like government property...The troops must be enduring unimaginable conditions, hopefully they make it back home safe to their families soon.

Why do I have to keep raising and providing for my kids? I don't want them anymore.

Why do I have to make this car payment? I don't like this car anymore?

Why do I have to obey the laws? I don't like these laws anymore?

:roll:

SergeW said:
This makes me utterly ripped off when I hear "you-gotta-hung-up-in-Iraq-for-some-half-year-boys". WTF !!! I've been in Iraq since the start, I'm already a veteran! My contract is off, I've performed my duty, America, and I want to go home to see my family!!

"You see, we are in a draft shortfall". Why the hell should I care? This is their problem, not mine!

Of course there would be a shortfall - who on earth will want to risk his life and come here if the gov rats on the promises and prolongs the service?

They say, "The Army is overpressured". What the hell do they know about being overpressured?

I heard Sen. Lieberman would say while ago, "We have the most powerful army in the history of the world", "we are capable, if necessary, of continuing to pursue our aims militarily in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere and, if necessary, conduct a military attack against Iran." Pooh! This one seems to be absolutely unaware of what goes on about! I thought only Bush was a Martian... Now I know, not only him.

Suck it up son. You joined the wrong branch. The Army is mismanaging its people. Some would say on purpose. ...and that Senator was correct.

To each his own...

If they would raise the age limit and take my old body, with its prosthetic knee and pacemaker, I would re-up tommorow.

My last post was a bit harsh. My apologies. The Army is not "over pressured." No, what we see today is the typical response we are used to from the Army. They constantly release reports that they are unprepared or under manned. The purpose for these reports are not to correct anything, otherwise, we would see the corrections. No, in truth, it is about more money. More money that they will simply **** away rather than put to good use.

Ask yourself why the Marine Corps is rarely at the center of any individual controversey in combat zones, yet we are largely in the Al-Anbar Province where most combat activity is taken place (not to mention the aggressive branch.) Ask yourself why with the minimal of funds, the Marine Corps is always prepared and always is able to complete missions without whining about what we "can't" do. Your frustrations might lie more with the institution if you really took a long look at it. I have also found that the Army is notorious for not correclty teaching their soldiers about anything beyond their immediate surroundings.

I understand your frustrations, but try not to let your frustrations cloud your purpose. Don't succumb to the simplistic wail of the left that is shouting for WMD and oil. It is far more complicated than this and far more complicated than the leader of the free world could ever explain on national TV. The civilization in the Middle East is failing and the product is Islamic Radicalism. This is something that started in the late 1920's. We should remind ourselves of this when they cry about American Foreign Policy as being their scapegoat. They can only take that excuse so far. From Islamic Radicalism, we are seeing a mass of terrorism. As this civilization continues to decline, so will the acts of terrorism be more and more accepted within this region. Our citizens are paying for it. One of the biggest problems with this region is the Palestinian / Israeli conflict. There will always be unrest and the exportation of terrorism over this as long as people like Saddam continue to pay for the suicide bombers.

Now, we cannot force this region to progress, but we can give them opportunity to succeed. If they fail, it say's more on this civilization than it does American might. Keep in mind that Iraq and Afghanistan are only two countries. There is also Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and In the end, the only thing that will fix the Muslim world is Muslims. Christianity went through this in the 16th century. There was sweeping Radicalism and acts of terrorism on civillians. It was a bloody mess. "True" believers felt threatened with the progress that technology had made and they felt like they had to punish "Non-believers" in defense of their religion. Fortunately, the weapons of choice were not heavy explosives and nukes. We do not have this luxury today while facing the Radicals of Islam. We have to protect our people.

Stay safe and stay focused.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Suck it up son. You joined the wrong branch. The Army is mismanaging its people. Some would say on purpose. ...and that Senator was correct.

How can you denigrate the Army as such? Do you not support our troops? It sounds like you have a problem with soldiers.

GySgt said:
My last post was a bit harsh. My apologies. The Army is not "over pressured." No, what we see today is the typical response we are used to from the Army. They constantly release reports that they are unprepared or under manned. The purpose for these reports are not to correct anything, otherwise, we would see the corrections. No, in truth, it is about more money. More money that they will simply **** away rather than put to good use.

Ask yourself why the Marine Corps is rarely at the center of any individual controversey in combat zones, yet we are largely in the Al-Anbar Province where most combat activity is taken place (not to mention the aggressive branch.) Ask yourself why with the minimal of funds, the Marine Corps is always prepared and always is able to complete missions without whining about what we "can't" do. Your frustrations might lie more with the institution if you really took a long look at it. I have also found that the Army is notorious for not correclty teaching their soldiers about anything beyond their immediate surroundings.

I understand your frustrations, but try not to let your frustrations cloud your purpose. Don't succumb to the simplistic wail of the left that is shouting for WMD and oil. It is far more complicated than this and far more complicated than the leader of the free world could ever explain on national TV. The civilization in the Middle East is failing and the product is Islamic Radicalism. This is something that started in the late 1920's. We should remind ourselves of this when they cry about American Foreign Policy as being their scapegoat. They can only take that excuse so far. From Islamic Radicalism, we are seeing a mass of terrorism. As this civilization continues to decline, so will the acts of terrorism be more and more accepted within this region. Our citizens are paying for it. One of the biggest problems with this region is the Palestinian / Israeli conflict. There will always be unrest and the exportation of terrorism over this as long as people like Saddam continue to pay for the suicide bombers.

Now, we cannot force this region to progress, but we can give them opportunity to succeed. If they fail, it say's more on this civilization than it does American might. Keep in mind that Iraq and Afghanistan are only two countries. There is also Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and In the end, the only thing that will fix the Muslim world is Muslims. Christianity went through this in the 16th century. There was sweeping Radicalism and acts of terrorism on civillians. It was a bloody mess. "True" believers felt threatened with the progress that technology had made and they felt like they had to punish "Non-believers" in defense of their religion. Fortunately, the weapons of choice were not heavy explosives and nukes. We do not have this luxury today while facing the Radicals of Islam. We have to protect our people.

Stay safe and stay focused.

The effervescent back peddle. Congratulations.

I'm just guessing when I say this... but Bush is your Idol, isn't he?

I knew it!

Best of luck to you with that!

[Moderator Mode=Tashah]
:minigavel Personal attacks and crude innuendo are not allowed at Debate Politics. Your warning level has now been increased.
[/Moderator Mode]

oldreliable67 said:
To each his own...

If they would raise the age limit and take my old body, with its prosthetic knee and pacemaker, I would re-up tommorow.

What exactly would you do? Kill them with poor verbosity and halitosis? Somehow I don't find your plea inspiring.

I've noticed a trend. Where GySgt goes... so dues OldReliable? Smells like a brokeback mountain to me! :rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
SergeW said:

Wow, Sorry you feel that way dude. If its any consolation, everybody I know is behind you 1000%. Don't listen to what's going in Washington dude. Its bad enough we have to hear it so constantly, you don't need to hear it. Alls you need to do is fight your way home.

Good luck.

Conflict said:
The effervescent back peddle. Congratulations.

I'm just guessing when I say this... but Bush is your Idol, isn't he?

I knew it!

Best of luck to you with that!

I don't know about GySgt, but it would appear that it's worked out pretty well. Was your guy elected twice?

I wish you didn’t have to be there bud.
Keep safe and get your a$$ home safe. Don’t you worry about the BS going around the airwaves.
One thing both (all) sides can agree on is we want you guys and gals home safe ASAP.
I know you don’t need to be reminded but remember your training and adapt and over come. You do whatever you have to make it home safe. That’s what we all want.

FYI - the ipaddress used for the computer of the original poster is in India...

Draw your own conclusions...

You mean people really thought a soldier wrote this drivel???:doh

We're in too deep, there's no point on going back. We shouldn't be there at all. We've lost a lot to turn back. Keep your head up soldier.

cnredd said:

Interesting.

Conflict said:
What exactly would you do? Kill them with poor verbosity and halitosis? Somehow I don't find your plea inspiring.

I've noticed a trend. Where GySgt goes... so dues OldReliable? Smells like a brokeback mountain to me! :rofl

You really need to be more careful that kind of personal slam. Its uncalled for.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=218818&postcount=9

Conflict said:

I've noticed a trend. Where GySgt goes... so dues OldReliable? Smells like a brokeback mountain to me!

[Moderator Mode=Tashah]

:minigavel Personal attacks and crude innuendo are not allowed at Debate Politics. Debate the topic. Your warning level has been adjusted to reflect this warning.

[/Moderator Mode]

Conflict said:
How can you denigrate the Army as such? Do you not support our troops? It sounds like you have a problem with soldiers.

Don't worry. It's nothing personal and it has nothing to do with denigrating the Army. On the contrary, we need the Army as much as we need an Air Force,a Navy, and a Marine Corps. Facts are facts and all that know better are quite aware what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with branch pride. Here's some words from an Army General and an Army Lt. Col....

Later, as commander of the Second Marine Division, and later still as commandant of the Marine Corps, Gray was in a position to implement Boyd's ideas about "maneuver warfare."

Their first combat test came in Grenada in 1983. They passed.

"We've got two companies of Marines running all over the island, and thousands of Army troops doing nothing," an Army general was quoted as saying at the time. "What the hell is going on?"

Pentagon analyst Franklin "Chuck" Spinney, Boyd's closest associate for many years, said, "The Marines [later] used Boyd's tactics in the first Gulf war, and they worked like gangbusters."

As the Marines showed success after success with their maneuver-warfare doctrine, elements of Boyd's thinking began percolating into the Army.

"If the Marine Corps picks it up, the Army's first reaction is to try to discredit it," said retired Army Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, a leading military strategist. "If it proves to work, they'll copy it and claim it was their idea all along."

http://www.post-gazette.com/nation/20030321boydnatp5.asp

Today, we need expeditionary forces in all of the services, and the army is belatedly waking up to that. But no matter how theoretically effective it may be, an army that cannot get to the war or conflict is useless to the American people.

There's been a readiness crisis in the military, and especially in the army, since the mid-1990s. The former army chief of staff, for whatever reason, went to the Hill and lied about readiness. I think what we've seen in the 1990s is a politicization of the service chiefs and the Joint Chiefs overall. The administration's done a good job of picking primarily weak men, which is why Shinseki's such a great surprise. But everybody in the army knew. The people down in the motor pools, at the training ranges, in the battalions and brigades and divisions knew there were shortages of ammunition, of spare parts, or training funds. And yet again and again, the chief and the deputies went to the Hill and said, "Well, everything's pretty good, we could use a little more of this, but we're doing fine, sir." It wasn't true.

In the Gulf War, U.S. Marine Corps wheeled vehicles were killing Iraqi T-72 tanks. Now the people that sell us the heavy armor and heavy guns would have told you that was impossible. But the Marines did it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/future/interviews/peters.html

Liike I have said before...."The problems in the Army are not because of the soldier.....it is an institutional one." Wow....it's amazing how you keep embarrassing yourself while still trying to recover from former embarrassments.

Last edited:
cnredd said:

Why am I not suprised? It looks like this person wants to come on for a single post just to give out false information and start a fight. Isn't there a word for that?

Connecticutter said:
Why am I not suprised? It looks like this person wants to come on for a single post just to give out false information and start a fight. Isn't there a word for that?
Deaniac?...;)

Regardless of the likelyhood of fabrication in the OP....it does make you wonder how many of our soldiers are losing moral due to the "extention" of service, as it seems we no longer have a fully volunteer military. I am almost to the point where I see a draft as required to keep up with the needed troop rotations, not that I like the Idea. With any luck....Bush can avoid imposing such measures for the next few years.....and leave the descision to whoever has to clean up what he has done to my country.Along with raising taxes, fixing healthcare, adding diplomacy to foreign policy, paying for the war (and everything else), I really feel sorry for the next President....they are so screwed.

tecoyah said:
Regardless of the likelyhood of fabrication in the OP....it does make you wonder how many of our soldiers are losing moral due to the "extention" of service, as it seems we no longer have a fully volunteer military. I am almost to the point where I see a draft as required to keep up with the needed troop rotations, not that I like the Idea. With any luck....Bush can avoid imposing such measures for the next few years.....and leave the descision to whoever has to clean up what he has done to my country.Along with raising taxes, fixing healthcare, adding diplomacy to foreign policy, paying for the war (and everything else), I really feel sorry for the next President....they are so screwed.
No...Actually it doesn't make me wonder at all...

Name a job where a certain percentage doesn't exist where they question their efforts...

BTW - Love this line...

Bush can avoid imposing such measures for the next few years.....and leave the descision to whoever has to clean up what he has done to my country.

For those who constantly whine when the former President gets mentioned("He Whom Shall Not Be Blamed"), this line from tecoyah spells out the logic quite nicely...

Presidents have to correct, rely, counter, agree with, or take other actions based on the actions of their predecessors...

I will note the hypocrisy when the line "President #44 has to fix what president #43 did." becomes the sentence of the year in 2009 but bemoan
the very same line when used now in correlation with President #42...

cnredd said:
No...Actually it doesn't make me wonder at all...

Name a job where a certain percentage doesn't exist where they question their efforts...

BTW - Love this line...

For those who constantly whine when the former President gets mentioned("He Whom Shall Not Be Blamed"), this line from tecoyah spells out the logic quite nicely...

Presidents have to correct, rely, counter, agree with, or take other actions based on the actions of their predecessors...

I will note the hypocrisy when the line "President #44 has to fix what president #43 did." becomes the sentence of the year in 2009 but bemoan
the very same line when used now in correlation with President #42...

I caught that as well.

I fully agree each president is required to repair damages done by those that came before them...its part of the Job, and reality. Bit even you guys have to agree that between the Highest deficit in history, the ongoing warfare, and the likelyhood of further military commitments (primarily due to failed foreign policy), whoever takes over for Bush.....will have a far more difficult task than he did.
I disliked Clinton, and in fact was republican during his presidency....but Damn....this is freakin' rediculous. Just reading what you guys write, in support of this guy....reminds me why I no longer accept the term....Republican , for myself.

Back
Top Bottom