• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why should babys of illegal imigrants be awared with US citzenship?

born or naturalized........NOT someone who steps over the border illegally.

Wait a minute. Since when can a bill passed by Congress supersede a constitutional amendment?

You're not superseding the Constitution with this bill. You're only modifying law that governs the granting of citizenship in this country which the Constitution gave Congress the power to do in the first place. I mean, INA law sets the standard bywhich U.S. citizenship is granted and it came about long after the 14th Amendment was ratified. All this bill would do is cut out that loophole and do what many of us believe is the right way to go about conferring citizenship to children born in this country to atleast one U.S. citizen parent, as well as, get rid of the "anchor baby" aspect of conferring citizenship to children born in this country to illegal immigrants.

You're not superseding the Constitution with this bill. You're only modifying law that governs the granting of citizenship in this country which the Constitution gave Congress the power to do in the first place. I mean, INA law sets the standard bywhich U.S. citizenship is granted and it came about long after the 14th Amendment was ratified. All this bill would do is cut out that loophole and do what many of us believe is the right way to go about conferring citizenship to children born in this country to atleast one U.S. citizen parent, as well as, get rid of the "anchor baby" aspect of conferring citizenship to children born in this country to illegal immigrants.

The 14th says born here. Congress can't modify that requirement without a constitutional amendment.

The 14th says born here. Congress can't modify that requirement without a constitutional amendment.

Come to think of it, you might be right.

SC case U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark, a case that has been referenced to death concerning Pres. Obama's natural-born status, set the standard for granting U.S. citizenship onto persons born in this country to non-U.S. citizen parents as long as the parents weren't foreign diplomants and had previously established residency INCONUS. Congress could go the route of trying to change the conditions of "U.S. jurisdiction" without adding the 1-parent requirement, but I doubt that would fly due to aspects of common law.

So, upon further review, I have to agree. The only way this 1-parent requirement for children born INCONUS to alien parents flies is if the 14th Amendment is changed to read:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, to parents, one of who is a U.S. citizen, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside and are, therefore deemed natural-born, except for persons born to non-resident immigrants."

Or words to that effect as outlined in RED. I doubt it will happen, but...:(

As far as I know there is no law that says the child has to stay here

The consititution says that those born here are US citizens. I don't know how much simpler I can make it.

or be removed from his or her mother. I am also okay with the child being given up for adoption or raised by the state. Eliminating chain migration for relatives other than spouse or minor children would basically get rid of the anchor baby seeing how a child born here could no longer facilitate that kind of chain migration and it would not require changing the constitution.

Or we could do the humane thing and leave them with their parents when they are still there. We could allow these people to leave the shadows of illegalality and be more useful to society.

I think, as I have thought before, that the babies getting citizenship in of itself isn't an issue - after all, if you were born here, you were born here regardless of whether or not your mother was here legally. The problem is extension of rights immediately after wards to the parent.

Does anybody have any real numbers--How many babies are born in the U.S. where both parents are illegals?

I don't know that this practice can be called 'common'.

And I don't know that having a child in the U.S. automatically makes the parents citizens. It makes it more difficult to deport the mother.

If someone who actually works in this area of the law would chime in...

The consititution says that those born here are US citizens. I don't know how much simpler I can make it.

It doesn't say that they have to stay here, nor does it say the mother is forced to leave her child here.

Or we could do the humane thing and leave them with their parents when they are still there.

I have no problem with them staying with their parents just as long as their parents are back in their home country.

We could allow these people to leave the shadows of illegalality and be more useful to society.

I think the law should have no bearing on the child. If the child is born in the U.S., then they are American. But the law shouldn't automatically reward the parent with status. The parent should be deported along with the kid, since it is fairly simple in most countries of origin to get status for your baby if you're from there. Then, when the kid grows up, they can move to the U.S. as a citizen if they want.

The child is innocent no matter what in these situations. They can't be considered manipulators since they know nothing.

It doesn't say that they have to stay here, nor does it say the mother is forced to leave her child here.

So we're going to strip citizenship of people who have ocmmitted no crime. Yeah I don't see a problem with that.

I have no problem with them staying with their parents just as long as their parents are back in their home country.

And I have no problem with letting them stay here. The kid has a full legal right to stay here. In the vast majority of circumstances, it's best to leave the parents with them. At the very least, the adults should be given paperwork to help the mattain citizenship.

So we're going to strip citizenship of people who have ocmmitted no crime. Yeah I don't see a problem with that.

I said nothing about striping citizenship.

And I have no problem with letting them stay here. The kid has a full legal right to stay here.

His parents don't. Since parental rights to a child outwieghs the childs rights I fully support deportees taking their children with them.

In the vast majority of circumstances, it's best to leave the parents with them.

Thats why the parents can take their child(notice I said their child) with them back to their country of origin.

At the very least, the adults should be given paperwork to help the mattain citizenship.

This is why many people want more than just to end the anchor baby status of children born to illegals, this is why they want to end birth right citizenship to children of illegals. People who trespass into the country should not be rewarded with citizenship just because they pop out a anchor baby.

Illegal baby broke the law by being born in the US . . .
:bs

Regardless who its parents are or what its parents may have done, no baby breaks the law by being born in the USA.

Until the U.S. Constitution is amended to exclude from citizenship the babies of illegal immigrants, such babies born in the USA are U.S. citizens whether we like it or not.

We U.S. citizens need to pressure Congress to send to the States such an amendment to be ratified.

The kid has a full legal right to stay here. In the vast majority of circumstances, it's best to leave the parents with them. At the very least, the adults should be given paperwork to help the mattain citizenship.
Such an action on the part of the U.S. government would only encourage illegal immigration. Plus, it would be unfair to the legal immigrants who are working to obtain citizenship.

The last time that I checked, it isn't legal to deport a U.S. citizen who has committed no crime against the USA. So a child born in the USA can't be deported. However, I could be wrong.

Is there a law that says child can not be leave with the parents who are deported? The parents having custody of the child regardless of what country they are in does not in any shape or form negate the child's citizenship status. I would think parental rights is not negated just because the child is a citizen and the parents are not. If a child is left behind in in the states then most likely it is because the parents chose to leave that child in the US.

I said nothing about striping citizenship.

His parents don't. Since parental rights to a child outwieghs the childs rights I fully support deportees taking their children with them.

Thats why the parents can take their child(notice I said their child) with them back to their country of origin.

The child has every right to stay. Also it is best if the child is left with its parents. I understand what you are saying, but it is best for the child if anchor baby laws are kept in effect.

This is why many people want more than just to end the anchor baby status of children born to illegals,

I get your point about the parents, but again, the child's citizenship is recognized by the Constitution. No matter what bill is passed, the kid can stay.

this is why they want to end birth right citizenship to children of illegals. People who trespass into the country should not be rewarded with citizenship just because they pop out a anchor baby.

Or we could let them in instead of hiding in the shadows. It's kind of hard to economically better yourself when you're tresspassing.

The child has every right to stay. Also it is best if the child is left with its parents. I understand what you are saying, but it is best for the child if anchor baby laws are kept in effect.

Seeing how the parents have custody of their child then their child goes with them when they are deported and their child is free to come back to the US when the child is old enough to take care himself.

I get your point about the parents, but again, the child's citizenship is recognized by the Constitution. No matter what bill is passed, the kid can stay.

The child staying with his parents in his parents country does not negate his citizenship. Deporting the child is a separate issue.If the child is left behind it is because his parents left him behind instead of taking that child with them.

Or we could let them in instead of hiding in the shadows. It's kind of hard to economically better yourself when you're tresspassing.

Burglars try to economically better themselves, as well as drug dealers, car jackers, hackers and other criminals,it doesn't make what they are doing somehow noble. I would rather those people suffer the consequences of their actions.

Seeing how the parents have custody of their child then their child goes with them when they are deported and their child is free to come back to the US when the child is old enough to take care himself.

The child staying with his parents in his parents country does not negate his citizenship. Deporting the child is a separate issue.If the child is left behind it is because his parents left him behind instead of taking that child with them.

It is in the best interest of the child to stay here and have their parents stay here.

Burglars try to economically better themselves, as well as drug dealers, car jackers, hackers and other criminals,it doesn't make what they are doing somehow noble. I would rather those people suffer the consequences of their actions.

Illegals aren't violent criminals. Remember you're only a criminal if the government says that what you're doing is a crime. Let them stay and they can rise out of the shadows.

It is in the best interest of the child to stay here and have their parents stay here.
Its in the best interest of our country to tell the parents to **** off and boot their asses out of here.If the parents wish for the child to stay then they can give that child up for adoption or let a relative who is here legally take care of that child.

Illegals aren't violent criminals. Remember you're only a criminal if the government says that what you're doing is a crime. Let them stay and they can rise out of the shadows.

I would rather they be booted out of the country.They should not be rewarded just because they trespassed into the country and popped a baby out.

Its in the best interest of our country to tell the parents to **** off and boot their asses out of here.If the parents wish for the child to stay then they can give that child up for adoption or let a relative who is here legally take care of that child.

Yeh immigrants have been such a hassle to this country.

I would rather they be booted out of the country.They should not be rewarded just because they trespassed into the country and popped a baby out.

I would rather have more people innovating, creating wealth, keeping our birth rate stable, and making our country a better, richer place. You can keep bringing up how they're draining our enititlements all you want. It simply shows the flaws of trying to keep them out, which is inpractical. Booting them out makes no sense when they could be useful to our society

Yeh immigrants have been such a hassle to this country.
I do not know about legal immigrants but illegals on the other hand are a burden.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): The Estimated Cost of Illegal Immigration

Illegal Immigration Costs California $10.5 Billion Annually

I would rather have more people innovating, creating wealth, keeping our birth rate stable, and making our country a better, richer place.

Most of those people are low wage workers so they are not creating wealth.

You can keep bringing up how they're draining our enititlements all you want. It simply shows the flaws of trying to keep them out, which is inpractical.
The only reason why illegal aliens are here in the first place is because those in office refuse to do their job.It is not impossible to get rid of all the illegal immigrants nor is it impossible round up and deport all the illegals its been done before in this country Herbert Hoover during the great depression to make jobs avaliable to Americans who needed work, Harry Truman deported over two million illegal aliens after World War II to make jobs availiable to returning WWII veterans and President Dwight Eisenhower successfully deported millions of illegal alien Mexican nationals in a program called “Operation Wetback”, which lasted two years. Again to provide more jobs to Americans

Booting them out makes no sense when they could be useful to our society

Letting them stay in only encourages more to come here illegally and if we are just going to allow people to come here when ever the **** they feel like then what is the point of having a border? So booting them out makes perfect sense. I would rather our illegal immigration problem not get worse just because they trespassed into this country therefore violating our sovereignty just to pop out a anchor baby.

Why do you think California is bankrupt?

They have been swamped by illegals that dont pay taxes but use most of the services.:2wave:

There is a reason people have always had to "apply" for citizenship. Our system cannot handle being swamped by millions of illegal's every year that dont pay taxes.

Last edited:
Change the laws so the illegal immigrants will be treated like the criminals they are! Zero tolerance. Put them in prison so long until there family buys them out, or put them back to work in chain gangs until they repaid there debt off. Or 2 years in Afghanistan with the hope of gaining US Citizenship.

One thing to keep in mind for all of you are against this notion of "anchor babies": America was founded, rose to greatness, and will continue to be a great country because of people from other countries who came here with a dream to change their standard of living while also putting in the hard work and determination that makes this country great. With that said, I am not suggesting that we should just open our gates and let anyone who wants to come here illegally be allowed in but, we must remember that there are many jobs out there that would not be filled or getting done if it was not for these poeple. If anyone wants to argue this please do some quick research on scholarly work that has been done in this field and you will see. Another point I would to raise is that if these babies are born here, consequently awarded with citizenship, the parents of these kids will have to pay taxes whether they are illegal or not. The problem is not awarding these babies citizenship but the high influx of illegal immigrants that are coming here. Comprehensive immigration reform needs to drastically curb this problem while heloing the countries where these poeple are coming from, primarily Mexico, in incentivizing there people so that they stay there and help their country economically. This is why we are the US because we have the ability to do this. If we would just stop playing politics and actually began taking steps in this direction, whether or not its popular amongst Americans, it s still something that needs to be done. You can disagree but facts are facts.

Sounds resonable and sound,but what do the Liberals say? The rule the country now?

Why don't you tell us?
You're the one whose political affiliation is listed as "Very Liberal". :confused:

Back
Top Bottom