• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why should age even matter?

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
All I hear is that old people are more vulnerable than young people in regards to covid... why should that even matter? Young, old, healthy, unhealthy, we are all Americans. If I get covid I will probably live, but I do not want to spread it to ANYONE!!!

I hear all of these arguments about it not being a big deal if younger people getting it cause they are less in danger of dying, but no one is arguing that WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF AGE OR HEALTH!!!

Over 5000 people died in Hurricane Maria. Almost 3000 died on 9/11. Over 2000 died in the Johnstown Flood. Yet 198,000 are currently dead and more to come yet we are still squabbling about what precautions are proper and not proper? Shame on each and every one of us, including myself, who continues to argue on message boards in what is and is not acceptable precautions and not actually put things into practice that will save lives.

1000 people are dying each day yet we are debating whether we should have pro sports. Let's all hear it for priorities.

All I hear is that old people are more vulnerable than young people in regards to covid... why should that even matter? Young, old, healthy, unhealthy, we are all Americans. If I get covid I will probably live, but I do not want to spread it to ANYONE!!!

I hear all of these arguments about it not being a big deal if younger people getting it cause they are less in danger of dying, but no one is arguing that WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF AGE OR HEALTH!!!

Over 5000 people died in Hurricane Maria. Almost 3000 died on 9/11. Over 2000 died in the Johnstown Flood. Yet 198,000 are currently dead and more to come yet we are still squabbling about what precautions are proper and not proper? Shame on each and every one of us, including myself, who continues to argue on message boards in what is and is not acceptable precautions and not actually put things into practice that will save lives.

1000 people are dying each day yet we are debating whether we should have pro sports. Let's all hear it for priorities.

Kids in Miami who were asymptomatic but tested positive were found to have lasting lung damage.

"Dr. Alina Alonso, Palm Beach County’s health department director, warned county commissioners Tuesday that much is unknown about the long-term health consequences for children who catch COVID-19.

X-rays have revealed the virus can cause lung damage even in people without severe symptoms, she said.

“They are seeing there is damage to the lungs in these asymptomatic children. ... We don’t know how that is going to manifest a year from now or two years from now,” Alonso said. “Is that child going to have chronic pulmonary problems or not?”

COVID in children: 31% in Florida tested for virus are positive - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Surviving the disease does not always mean being unharmed.

Well said.

Your post deserves to be repeated.

An author and columnist for our Detroit Newspapers describes how any one of us may be affected by Covid 19.

His words seem to give new meaning to We are all in this together.

As Mitch Albom wrote:
And those of us healthy enough to survive COVID-19 could still spread it to someone who is not, without knowing it. We are all potential victims. We are all potential killers. That’s how insidious this disease is.

Mitch Albom- author

Nice post. But the "we are all Americans" bit is less than totally accurate. Some are Swedish and British - and that's just me. More to the point, in this context, some are Chinese.

Nice post. But the "we are all Americans" bit is less than totally accurate. Some are Swedish and British - and that's just me. More to the point, in this context, some are Chinese.

We are all humans and Covid 19 can affect any one us.

You're right... let me clarify...

We are all HUMAN BEINGS!

My surgeon friend told my wife and I this the other day. Paraphrase: "Latest reports I've heard is it's looking like the young children who are going back to school are gonna be hassled with a lifetime of low to high risk of several diseases, especially the lungs" I tell my friends to keep their children at home but I'm sure at least a few will still send them to school anyway." "The children will NOT thank them as they get older"

Amen to that. I would have been pissed at my parents if they knowingly put my future at risk..

Progressives have made it clear that we are not in this together. They are in for only themselves. You find pro-sports worrisome enough to bring up but you didnt mention anything about the rioters.
Bottom line is my health is my concern, your health is not. We are not in this together and if you shut down all sports people would still by dying. You are selling a lie.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Progressives have made it clear that we are not in this together. They are in for only themselves. You find pro-sports worrisome enough to bring up but you didnt mention anything about the rioters.
Bottom line is my health is my concern, your health is not. We are not in this together and if you shut down all sports people would still by dying. You are selling a lie.

Thanks for Proving the OP's Point, some people just refuse to care about their fellow citizens.

Ask South Dakota, there are good reasons other countries have done far better at dealing with this than the US, we have too many obnoxious stupid people that do not care anything about anyone else and the government refuse to enforce safety rules.

My surgeon friend told my wife and I this the other day. Paraphrase: "Latest reports I've heard is it's looking like the young children who are going back to school are gonna be hassled with a lifetime of low to high risk of several diseases, especially the lungs" I tell my friends to keep their children at home but I'm sure at least a few will still send them to school anyway." "The children will NOT thank them as they get older"

Amen to that. I would have been pissed at my parents if they knowingly put my future at risk..
Many parents dont have a choice in the matter. The left has spent the last half century destroying the traditional family unit. Schools have been transformed into daycare centers and teachers into surrogate parents. Stay at home parents are a very small minority at this point. Its a little late to complain about something that you spent generations building.

Republicans have proven to us all that they think older Americans are expendable.

Many parents dont have a choice in the matter. The left has spent the last half century destroying the traditional family unit. Schools have been transformed into daycare centers and teachers into surrogate parents. Stay at home parents are a very small minority at this point. Its a little late to complain about something that you spent generations building.

What "traditional family unit"? You might like to know that the highest rates of divorce are in your 'red' states; y'know, the traditionally conservative christian ones (Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas), where the holy sanctity of marriage is rammed down throats every sunday. They also have the highest rates of teen pregnancy.

Last edited:
What "traditional family unit"? You might like to know that the highest rates of divorce are in your 'red' states; y'know, the traditionally conservative christian ones (Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas), where the holy sanctity of marriage is rammed down throats every sunday. They also have the highest rates of teen pregnancy.
Whether your stats are true or not has no bearing on my point. Very few children are being raised with a stay at home parent. Schools no longer have the sole purpose to educate children. Children staying home is not an option for many families.

Whether your stats are true or not has no bearing on my point. Very few children are being raised with a stay at home parent. Schools no longer have the sole purpose to educate children. Children staying home is not an option for many families.

This is not an argument about the family unit being destroyed. This is an argument about every single one of us not giving a crap about each other. You have just proven my point. Let's argue about the traditional family unit when almost 200,000 people have died SINCE MARCH!!!

At this point it simply does not matter where Covid came from or whose fault it is. It is here. It has been here in this country since February and March. I care about what is being done to halt the spread and what ALL OF US are doing to do our part. More people have died in this country than the amount of Americans that died in WORLD WAR 1!!!

The fastest way to reduce covid-19 deaths is to stop the government paying $29,000 plus 20% more for medicare to falsely claim a death was a covid-19 death. With that, the 94% of people who actually died of other causes would no longer be counted - an immediate over 2000% reduction in covid-19 deaths.

The older you get the more the body breaks down, the harder is is to fight off disease. Older people are more likely to already have some serious illness that suppossedly makes the effects of Covid more serious.

You're referring to the message that the mainstream media disseminates. The DNC wholeheartedly approves of ageism. It is the only form of discrimination that they support.

This is not an argument about the family unit being destroyed. This is an argument about every single one of us not giving a crap about each other. You have just proven my point. Let's argue about the traditional family unit when almost 200,000 people have died SINCE MARCH!!!

At this point it simply does not matter where Covid came from or whose fault it is. It is here. It has been here in this country since February and March. I care about what is being done to halt the spread and what ALL OF US are doing to do our part. More people have died in this country than the amount of Americans that died in WORLD WAR 1!!!

Almost, but not quite. Around 400,000 American military members lost their lives in WW2, and if current projections are true the numbers of US deaths from Coronavirus will be overtaking that by the end of the year.

Unless you have not had any contact with anyone and have not left your house for the past 6 months, you are a hypocrite.

Common back in the day, (pre-vaccine) including measles, mumps, etc. I’m not pissed at my parents, I’m healthy.

Chickenpox parties and natural immunity: Your questions answered - CNN

Surely you are ignoring your constitutional right and obligation to dump on those of the other affiliations.

Unless you have not had any contact with anyone and have not left your house for the past 6 months, you are a hypocrite.

Surely anyone with a high school education realizes that no one can stay in their house for 6 months. Groceries need bought, Bill's need paid, medical al issues need addressed. It is called taking precautions. I am sorry that you don't realize this. You have already stated that other people's health isn't your concern. I'm sorry you feel that if you give someone covid and they die you wouldn't care. You once again prove my point that people need to give a **** about their fellow man.

Almost, but not quite. Around 400,000 American military members lost their lives in WW2, and if current projections are true the numbers of US deaths from Coronavirus will be overtaking that by the end of the year.

Read my post, I said World War 1, not 2.

Surely anyone with a high school education realizes that no one can stay in their house for 6 months. Groceries need bought, Bill's need paid, medical al issues need addressed. It is called taking precautions. I am sorry that you don't realize this. You have already stated that other people's health isn't your concern. I'm sorry you feel that if you give someone covid and they die you wouldn't care. You once again prove my point that people need to give a **** about their fellow man.
Anyone with a high school education also understands that shutting down the economy and society in general is an absurd and unviable solution. Your pathetic attempt to virtue signal and shame anyone who rejects your nonsense is nothing short of pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom