• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Republicans Can't Win

Willoughby said:
surely if this was true then republicans should be winning every election by a massive margin...
Hey, Will, this isn't horeshoes, my friend. What was the result of the last two presidential elections? Who won Gore's home state in 2000? :lol:

Deegan said:
Just wanted to clear that last sentence up, Congress has had oversight from the start, yet this remains a common misconception.

???? I am confused. According to Bush and Gonzales, Bush has the right to conduct warrantless wiretapping based upon his Article II powers. Are you telling me that his use of Article II powers requires Congressional oversight?

aps said:
Oh, so because Bush says he leads by conviction, that means that he doesn't change his mind when the polls are negative towards him? Just because someone says something doesn't make it true.

There is a little misunderstanding. If you look at all the indictments and prison sentences, the meaning becomes clear. Bush leads by convictions.

aps said:
???? I am confused. According to Bush and Gonzales, Bush has the right to conduct warrantless wiretapping based upon his Article II powers. Are you telling me that his use of Article II powers requires Congressional oversight?

I don't know the answer to that question, but members were briefed from the beginning.

Deegan said:
I don't know the answer to that question, but members were briefed from the beginning.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Deegan, they were briefed on it and told that they could not discuss it with anyone else--even those who were also briefed. That is in no way any sort of Congressional oversight. No way--no how.

aps said:
Ahh, I see what you're saying. Deegan, they were briefed on it and told that they could not discuss it with anyone else--even those who were also briefed. That is in no way any sort of Congressional oversight. No way--no how.

Well, it was a secret, and any of those folks could have voiced concerns, and one did, Jay Rockefeller. I don't really understand what you are asking for, everyone to be privy to the information? I think the president thought he had the authority, and it was still appropriate that he key in a few members, perhaps as a courtesy, or perhaps to gain insight. I don't know, I am just trying to be clear on this, as so many claim that no one knew of this, and that is clearly not the case.

Deegan said:
Well, it was a secret, and any of those folks could have voiced concerns, and one did, Jay Rockefeller. I don't really understand what you are asking for, everyone to be privy to the information? I think the president thought he had the authority, and it was still appropriate that he key in a few members, perhaps as a courtesy, or perhaps to gain insight. I don't know, I am just trying to be clear on this, as so many claim that no one knew of this, and that is clearly not the case.

I hear what you're saying, tough guy. My raising this issue was in response to easy saying that Bush doesn't give in to polls. I neglected to state my specific reasons for pointing this out. Polls were coming out saying that he did not have the authority. If he genuinely had the authority under Article II, I don't think he would have agreed to have true Congressional oversight. He realized that he wasn't getting support and has now made changes to the program. I actually appreciate his doing that. My point was that all politicians will do things in response to public opinion.

KCConservative said:
Hey, Will, this isn't horeshoes, my friend. What was the result of the last two presidential elections? Who won Gore's home state in 2000? :lol:

Wait a second. If I am not mistaken Gore actually got more votes than Bush did in 2000. Am I wrong there??

SouthernDemocrat said:
Wait a second. If I am not mistaken Gore actually got more votes than Bush did in 2000. Am I wrong there??

NOPE. You are absolutely correct, which was devastating for Georgie boy. But Gore lost in his own state of Tennessee.

aps said:
I hear what you're saying, tough guy. My raising this issue was in response to easy saying that Bush doesn't give in to polls. I neglected to state my specific reasons for pointing this out. Polls were coming out saying that he did not have the authority. If he genuinely had the authority under Article II, I don't think he would have agreed to have true Congressional oversight. He realized that he wasn't getting support and has now made changes to the program. I actually appreciate his doing that. My point was that all politicians will do things in response to public opinion.

I don't know if that is the reason he has changed gears or not, I always thought it made sense, well since the cat is out of the bag now anyway. But you could be correct, I'm not sure, don't really care about his numbers, polls, etc, I left that party.

Deegan said:
I don't know if that is the reason he has changed gears or not, I always thought it made sense, well since the cat is out of the bag now anyway. But you could be correct, I'm not sure, don't really care about his numbers, polls, etc, I left that party.

The only reason I care about his numbers is because I cannot believe how much his popularity has gone down. I like that people are seeing him for what he is. Although, when I see him saying that things are going well in Iraq, it makes me kinda sad. I know he knows otherwise, but his trying to convince everyone of this is a little desperate. I hate seeing people when they are desperate no matter how much I dislike them.

aps said:
I know he knows otherwise, but his trying to convince everyone of this is a little desperate. I hate seeing people when they are desperate no matter how much I dislike them.

I disagree. I think he's lied to himself so many times that he actually believes the stuff that comes out of his mouth. Kind of like OJ believing that he didn't kill Nicole. Truthfully, it is sad.

hipsterdufus said:
I disagree. I think he's lied to himself so many times that he actually believes the stuff that comes out of his mouth. Kind of like OJ believing that he didn't kill Nicole. Truthfully, it is sad.

Then he's what is called a "confabulator." That's someone who replaces fact with fiction.

Do you think Cheney is the same way? When confronted with his words in 2005 that the insurgency was in its last throes, he said that was still true. :shock:

eyeflash.gif

Awesome machine-gun kitty, Hipsterdufus!

aps said:
Then he's what is called a "confabulator." That's someone who replaces fact with fiction.

Do you think Cheney is the same way? When confronted with his words in 2005 that the insurgency was in its last throes, he said that was still true. :shock:

I heard that quote on Face The Nation Sunday. Truly amazing.

I think Cheney knows he's full of it, but just doesn't care one way or the other.

hipsterdufus said:
I heard that quote on Face The Nation Sunday. Truly amazing.

I think Cheney knows he's full of it, but just doesn't care one way or the other.

I dislike him more than I dislike Bush, but probably equally with Rove. ;)

Well I still support the war effort, but I, like many Americans, just want to see an end to this conflict, and unfortunately, there is no end in sight, and we just want some idea of how long? This has not happened, but I do appreciate when he comes out to explain the situation, the goals, and just generally gives us more information. He should really do more of this IMO, and I think when people think he lives in a bubble, or is not showing enough concern, these numbers reflect that. I believe him when he says we have to finish the job there, when you break it, you fix it, I just wonder how long will that take, and when are we going to fix our own country.

Look at her dance. That girl's SCARED, man! Not that all of us wouldn't be.

Here's my impersonation of a Republican trying to figure out why his whole thing is going down the tubes:
Bonk.gif

RightatNYU said:
So true...Bob Shrum teaches at the school of public service here at my school, and he just wrote a letter into the school paper today talking about how good the Dems chances are so good in 2008.

And I'm sitting here thinking "I'm gonna take the word of a guy who managed to support the loser in EIGHT presidential campaigns?"

How do you spell loser? S-H-R-U-M

The Dems would be smart to do the exact opposite of whatever he's suggesting.

Hey, Will, this isn't horeshoes, my friend. What was the result of the last two presidential elections? Who won Gore's home state in 2000?
of course i can't dispute that..i was just saying that if most americans agree with the republican the margins would be much bigger than they were:
Bush:62,040,606 51%
Kerry: 59,028,109 48% 252
Nader: 411,304

I'm sure most of the Bush "voters" exist only in the ethernet. That explains the discrepancy with the polls better than anything.

The principle of Occam's Razor says that the simplest explanation for a phenomenon is the most likely. So...did phantom voters come out of nowhere, vote for the worst President ever, refuse to answer exit polls only in those areas in which electronic voting machines were used (huh!), then refuse to answer any polls for the next two years?

Or are the Republicans corrupt in this, as they are in everything else?

Looking at the cesspool of incompetence & corruption the Republicans have made of our government, we must conclude that, if the votes are being counted honestly, it will be the first honest thing the Republicans have done. What are the chances?

At this point, it is illogical--& kind of dumb--to think a single Republican in the country belongs in office. They have obviously gamed the whole thing. The victories they celebrate with such fulsome gloating are as fradulent as their ideas.

& I say that with love.

To help resolve the question, let's have rabidly Democratic companies count the votes this time. I can't see any possible objection to this. It's just turning the tables & could only serve to further glorify the mandate, right? Then we can all join together in rationalizing torture.

Last edited:
PerryLogan said:
Look at her dance. That girl's SCARED, man! Not that all of us wouldn't be.

Here's my impersonation of a Republican trying to figure out why his whole thing is going down the tubes:
Bonk.gif

Well put oh wise one. I've always thought the administration was more like Sideshow Bob running into a rake every week.

images

PerryLogan said:
They have obviously gamed the whole thing. The victories they celebrate with such fulsome gloating are as fradulent as their ideas.
Now all you have to do is find someone, anyone, who can prove that six year old accusation and you might have something. Hey, is Bush impeached yet? :lol:

No impeachment yet, even though the people are clamoring for it. Funny, isn't it?

No need to prove anything, KC. It's obvious to everybody. The Republicans have effectively destroyed themselves through sheer, mindblowing criminality & ineptitude. Getting into power was the worst thing that could have happened to them.

Thank-you, Republican Party, for showing us what you've got!

Earth calling KC: If Republican officials & corporations are counting our votes honestly, it will be the first honest thing they ever did.

Du-uh!

Impeachment would do nothing for us, with an entire party of inept traitors in power.

We need much more than the impeachment of The Worst President Ever™. We need a jail big enough to house the whole Republican Party. Maybe South Dakota would do the trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom