• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Republicans are rejecting the COVID vaccine: GOP wants to drag out lockdowns to hurt Biden

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/15/21
Vaccination rates are improving at a steady clip. As of Wednesday afternoon, almost 124 million Americans have received at least one shot and over 76 million are fully vaccinated. There have been no meaningful bad effects from either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and only a handful of extremely rare incidents that have forced the FDA to temporarily pause the administration of Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The vaccines are safe, effective, and well-documented on social media. These are the exact conditions — basically, other people getting it first and proving it's safe — that many vaccine-hesitant Americans were telling pollsters that they wanted to see in order to convince them to get the vaccine. And yet, a new poll released Wednesday by Monmouth University shows the number of Americans — 1 in 5 — who refuse to get vaccinated has barely dropped from where it was in polls conducted in January and March. The only thing that's really changed is the excuse people are offering for why. In the past, 21% of Americans gave the "let others do it first" answer. Now only 12% of people are even bothering to pretend that condition hasn't been met yet. Instead, what's becoming ever more clear is the reluctance to get vaccinated is about one thing and one thing only: Owning the libs.

The number of people who have been skittish about the vaccine has dropped as more Americans line up for the shot, but the hardcore group who want to avoid it at all costs has barely budged. The reasons for this are not mysterious. Right-wing media networks like Fox News and various personalities have gone out of their way to signal to conservatives that refusing the vaccine is a way to demonstrate tribal loyalty and, even more importantly, demonstrate contempt for liberals. The anti-vaccination sentiment is clearly building on a tendency on the American right to define "manhood" as an unwillingness to act like an adult who can handle even basic responsibilities, which is no doubt one reason why women are more likely to get vaccinated than men. Tucker Carlson, who Media Matters' Senior Fellow Matt Gertz says "has become perhaps the nation's most prominent coronavirus vaccine skeptic," has taken to portraying vaccines as a massive hoax. On Tuesday, for instance, Carlson suggested that the vaccine "doesn't work and they're simply not telling you that." Conservatives who refuse to get vaccinated are going to spread disease — indeed, that's what right-wing media is counting on. So anything that can be done to reduce the political salience of vaccination, to make it seem less "liberal" and more like regular health care, can benefit us all.

You can bet your Trump flag that media personalities like Tucker Carlson have already received both shots of the COVID vaccine.

CT forum ↓

Also, Hateful Liberal Pro-Abortion Feminist Amanda Marcotte.

We have also learned that Trump' and Melania also got vaccinated when Trump was still president.

And I saw that Ivanka recently posted a picture of herself getting vaccinated.

I can't believe the idiotic Republicans who insist they won't do it.

That is exactly what I think. Stopping Covid in its tracks would be such a huge win for Biden and Republicans can't be having that! Starting with Trump, minimizing and politizing the pandemic has been their priority. They would rather see Americans die than see Biden succeed. The irony is, that in their zeal to do that, they are destroying the very win they wanted to so desperately give Trump......the vaccine.

You can bet your Trump flag that media personalities like Tucker Carlson have already received both shots of the COVID vaccine.

I'm surprised that there haven't been major terrorist attacks on vaccination places. Some of the worst of the right-wingers literally believe in the "right" to kill and view these vaccines the same way that they view safety laws.

Amanda Marcotte was too much of a screaming imbecile for even Slate. Her articles met the POE standard; she meant it, but she sounded exactly like someone trying to parody super-far-left-everythingism in the areas she ventured.

Get this. She would actually visit the comments sections on her articles and do about 30 minutes of drive-by comments attacking anyone who criticized her article, never responding to what she slung, and then would run off. Reminds me of a number of DP posters, but anyway.... Marcotte is one person I'm not gonna listen to.

That is exactly what I think. Stopping Covid in its tracks would be such a huge win for Biden and Republicans can't be having that! Starting with Trump, minimizing and politizing the pandemic has been their priority. They would rather see Americans die than see Biden succeed. The irony is, that in their zeal to do that, they are destroying the very win they wanted to so desperately give Trump......the vaccine.
Trump is running in 2024, so of course we don't want to give Biden any wins. Democrats didn't Trump's first term.

You still need a tissue after the witch lost in 2016.
I feel much better since 1.20.21.
Do you believe that President Biden won a fair election free of statistically significant voter fraud last November?

I feel much better since 1.20.21.
Do you believe that President Biden won a fair election free of statistically significant voter fraud last November?
Nope. You feel "better" because you were brainwashed by the media fr 4 years about Trump.

I don’t care about the GOP anti vaccination group. They don’t matter. Once a substantial majority of the people who want the vaccine have gotten it, open things back up. Filter anti-vaxxers out of the calculus altogether as though they don’t exist. If that means more innocent deaths that turns on certain members of the GOP... well... here’s hoping they’re wrong about that whole bit about Jesus.

They want to drag out lockdowns AND they want COVID to remain as a crisis which they THINK is "manageable".
They want to "manage" the crisis to boost opposition to vaccines, not realizing that they're actually playing with matches around a can of gasoline.

This is a joke, right?
Here's why Americans are increasingly vaccine hesitant. Biden is wearing TWO, count 'em, TWO masks. He is fully vaxed and is wearing TWO masks. What a flipping clown show.
So the message Americans receive is the vaccine is ineffective, and even if they do get vaccinated, there's simply no end in sight to the masking, the shutdowns and the government overreach.
So why bother?
Biden doesn't want Americans getting cocky and you know, opening up the economy. How will he keep passing trillion-dollar spending boondoggles?

Get outa here with this crap...

Democrats better stop letting Biden down then, eh? Repub governors are serving up success after success.
Texas doing great. Florida didn't kill 15K seniors and got them vaccinated ahead of the curve, based on SCIENCE.

Don't presume to know me. Answer the question? Yes/No
I know more about you people than I wanted to know. Sadly. Your actions are out in full display everywhere. Rioting, yelling in the sky like children. I've seen it all.

Why Republicans are rejecting the COVID vaccine: GOP wants to drag out lockdowns to hurt Biden
This is--with two exceptions--the most ridiculous theory I've ever read on DP in a little under two years.

This is "Elvis shot JFK with a magic gun" -level ridiculous. :cautious:

...Anyway. Sorry. Carry on, citizens.

This is--with two exceptions--the most ridiculous theory I've ever read on DP in a little under two years.

This is "Elvis shot JFK with a magic gun" -level ridiculous. :cautious:

...Anyway. Sorry. Carry on, citizens.
It is from Salon.com after all. And written by Amanda Marcotte. Two-for-one craziness.

Back
Top Bottom