• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why redheads feel less pain, according to scientists

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

They may be ginger — but their skin isn’t.

In a seemingly paradoxical study, US researchers found that redheads have a preternaturally high pain tolerance — wait for it — due to a mechanism that ups their susceptibility to sunburns.

“These findings describe the mechanistic basis behind earlier evidence suggesting varied pain thresholds in different pigmentation backgrounds,” said Dr. David Fisher of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Massachusetts. He led the fiery study published in the journal Science Advances.

The research found that the cells that determine skin color — called melanocytes — play a large role in deciding how people experience pain.
===============================================================

I don't know but I have had a thing for red heads most of my adult life. A red-headed associate at my cardiologist's office is named Erin. You can guess where her lineage came from.

They may be ginger — but their skin isn’t.

In a seemingly paradoxical study, US researchers found that redheads have a preternaturally high pain tolerance — wait for it — due to a mechanism that ups their susceptibility to sunburns.

“These findings describe the mechanistic basis behind earlier evidence suggesting varied pain thresholds in different pigmentation backgrounds,” said Dr. David Fisher of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Massachusetts. He led the fiery study published in the journal Science Advances.

The research found that the cells that determine skin color — called melanocytes — play a large role in deciding how people experience pain.
===============================================================

I don't know but I have had a thing for red heads most of my adult life. A red-headed associate at my cardiologist's office is named Erin. You can guess where her lineage came from.

I'm a redhead, and I do have a high pain tolerance (as long as it isn't in my mouth). I rolled my ankle and broke it about 5 years ago. Walked home from the park on it, about 2-3 blocks.
I didn't decide I needed to have it checked out until the next day. Oh, and 15 minutes in the sun and I look like a lobster.

I'm a redhead, and I do have a high pain tolerance (as long as it isn't in my mouth). I rolled my ankle and broke it about 5 years ago. Walked home from the park on it, about 2-3 blocks.
I didn't decide I needed to have it checked out until the next day.

I'm a redhead too! I guess we're just made tougher. 💪💪

I call shenanigans, but seriously this is kinda cool to learn about. Amazing the more we discover on these things.

I married a redhead.. I like redheads..

Anyway I never understood where redheads fit in in the evolutionary 'ladder'...

From the hot tropics and dark skin and hair to the cold northern Europe with light skin and blonde hair, I got it.... Where the hell do redheads fit into that? lol

From the hot tropics and dark skin and hair to the cold northern Europe with light skin and blonde hair, I got it.... Where the hell do redheads fit into that? lol

We're a mystery.

Of course redheads feel less pain...

LOL

irishman-drinking.jpg

I didn't decide I needed to have it checked out until the next day. Oh, and 15 minutes in the sun and I look like a lobster.

Good jeans from the British Isles. FWIW, I lust after redheads as long as they are of age.

The red hair comes from a genetic change that produces a pigment called pheomelanin instead of melanin (black/brown). I'd go on but it gets more technical than most would read.

I frankly enjoy pain if it's the right kind & in the right place. Dental - forget it.

It's because we are made out of iron, with tungsten for nerves.

There is a rumor that red hair comes from neanderthal genes. I have no idea if it's true.

My husband would vouch for that...redheads are as tough as nails...

My husband would vouch for that...redheads are as tough as nails...

So you are either a redhead or you know that hubby has a redheaded friend on the side.

So you are either a redhead or you know that hubby has a redheaded friend on the side.
I'm a redhead...there'd better not be another on the side if he knows what's good for him...🔥

I'm a redhead...there'd better not be another on the side if he knows what's good for him...🔥

Be careful with that. You know he has this thing for redheads.

I frankly enjoy pain if it's the right kind & in the right place. Dental - forget it.

Nothing worse than dental pain. I'd pick surgery over a root canal. Plus I have the added fun of having a resistance to lidocaine (or whichever caine they use these days) which always means more needles in the mouth because the usual doses don't do it for me.

Nothing worse than dental pain. I'd pick surgery over a root canal. Plus I have the added fun of having a resistance to lidocaine (or whichever caine they use these days) which always means more needles in the mouth because the usual doses don't do it for me.

I like whips & floggers. Am I masochist? I believe many men love physical abuse in a sexual context,.

There is a rumor that red hair comes from neanderthal genes. I have no idea if it's true.
Anything's possible. For what It's worth, my hair used to be red(ish) and according to my sister's ancestry report we have about 2 1/2% Neanderthal genes. I've read that European people could have up to 4% so I was hoping for more.

Anything's possible. For what It's worth, my hair used to be red(ish) and according to my sister's ancestry report we have about 2 1/2% Neanderthal genes. I've read that European people could have up to 4% so I was hoping for more.

Still dragging your nuckles on the ground or have you grown out of that?

Back
Top Bottom