• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Pride?

After reading some of the vitriol in the "Pride" thread, I started thinking.

What is it about people who are fearful of gays that they have to be so concerned about what we do? Live your life, we'll live ours.

I think most people do. I know I don't give a dang what anyone does in their privacy of their own bedroom, hotel, motel for that matter. I don't care who one hold hands with even in public. Although for the most part, I believe kissing should be done behind closed doors with the exception of a proposal or if someone bought a gift for another etc., then okay.

I have no problems with gay pride parades as long as others have no problem with straight pride parades. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't care what lifestyle one chooses or who marries whom. Heck, I'm even fine with polygamy. As long as one can afford it. I'm pretty much fine with everything as long as there is no harm being done to others or something being done against their will that shouldn't be.

I'll live my life the way I like, you live yours the way you like. I would dream of forcing my way of life or lifestyle on others and I expect the same in return. Other than that, I say live and let live.

You know, people often complain about people who wear nice clothes and drive fancy cars. "Who are they trying to impress by driving a Ferrari?" Is a question I oftentimes hear. It's a bit narcissistic to thinkv someone buys a car to impress you, or wears clothing to impress you, or even attends a parade to get in your face. I went to pride a couple of weeks ago. Straight people and how they felt about it was the last thing on my mind. I went to look at hot gay guys.

So I thought of something reading your post, and thinking about the way people talk about folks who wear really fine suits and drive hot convertibles. And yes it's the same thing. Their envious.

For much of my life I was a bit jealous of straight people. They get to be normal. But looking back i crossed some pretty high hurdles. I came out to my catholic family. That took a lot of guile. Once I did I was free to do things that would normally be considered girly. I can enjoy a penicalada at a bar and not worryb that it is a "pushy drink." And I can enjoy a nice single malt scotch. We're prior to coming out i was convinced being seen enjoying a salad or penicalada would have painted a giant rainbow over my head.

Now I'm not saying all straight guys are bound for beer and scotch. But the ones who compassion about in your face gay people probably think this way about things. Maybe nit booze but other things defiantly. Satin sheets or liking flowers enough to have a favorite one so forth.

I've actually seen it with several posters here. Guys wear those kind of clothes are silly. So forth.

So I guess I really do have something to be proud of. Just like you. I'm not rubbing anyone's gave in it. Neither are you. You accomplished something.

It just dawned on me that they could be envious. All this time I thought if my sexuality as a disadvantage. Thanks for posting that. That was a stroke of brilliance.

Sometimes it's just jealousy,sometime they don't understand it.
You know how people get when confronted by something different that they do not understand.
Some will at least try to understand it and accept it as it is.
Most will want to destroy it so it never confuses them again.
That's how we humans are.

Have you ever been to Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras here in New Orleans?
Those two pictures you put up are tame compared to what straght people wear and behave here.
So a lesbian walking down the streets wearing electrical tape over her boobs is "in your face", but women from places like your own home town flashing their breast to drunken fratboys for cheap beads isn't?

Is that called the Straight Pride Parade? No, it's the drunken party parade where bizarre, exotic, and even lewd behavior is considered acceptable. That's what you're comparing the GPP to.

Is that called the Straight Pride Parade? No, it's the drunken party parade where bizarre, exotic, and even lewd behavior is considered acceptable. That's what you're comparing the GPP to.

Gee,you make bizarre,exotic and lewd behavior sound like it's a bad thing.

You do realize that organizers of any event have the right to call it anything they want,and they don't need your permission to do so.

The comparrison between the two is that both are people having good time.And that's a beautiful thing.
Don't like what goes on at those events,don't attend.
It's as simple as that.

By the way,what's stopping you from forming your own Straght Pride Parade where you are at?

Gee,you make bizarre,exotic and lewd behavior sound like it's a bad thing.

You do realize that organizers of any event have the right to call it anything they want,and they don't need your permission to do so.

The comparrison between the two is that both are people having good time.And that's a beautiful thing.
Don't like what goes on at those events,don't attend.
It's as simple as that.

By the way,what's stopping you from forming your own Straght Pride Parade where you are at?

If you want to be respected then you act respectable. Acting in a lewd fashion in the streets for all to see is not respectable behavior and no one has a reason to accept you because of it. In fact, the behavior actually causes people to lose respect for you and whatever cause you're trying to promote.

As of a Straight Pride Parade, well, it's basically like a White Pride Parade. White people are not allowed to have pride in being white, and straight people are not allowed to have pride in being straight. A Straight Pride Parade would go over as well as anything the KKK does.

No, why, are you going to tell me that they don't look anything like all of the pics online?

If you didn't take those pictures at a pride parade how am I supposed to know that's where their from.

I found a picture of jesus with his car. Apparently he's a Toyota man. If it's in the Internet it's true right.
What_would_Jesus_Drive_by_ChrisDalton.jpg

If you didn't take those pictures at a pride parade how am I supposed to know that's where their from.

I found a picture of jesus with his car. Apparently he's a Toyota man. If it's in the Internet it's true right.
What_would_Jesus_Drive_by_ChrisDalton.jpg

You're probably right, someone must've planted those pics to make GPP goers look overly lewd and flamboyant. They're probably just pics from a local Memorial Day parade or something, which obviously makes more sense.

They just save pictures of what they like to think goes on there.

So where are they getting the pictures from if none of that stuff happens at the parades? :lol:

Well the Mardi gras is a Catholic celebration. But there is lewdness there. It's a very common arrest.

A man wearing a bathing suit isn't lewd. I remember you mentioning something about context making it lewd, but you kind of disappeared when I called you on it.

Lewdness isn't defined by context. If you have pictures of people performing sex acts in public exposing genitalia or their anus, or physical contact with intent to gratify Amy person you can't say it's lewd.

If you just feel that guys should wear more clothing, you have the right to that opinion, but your desire not to see these pictures you keep producing and searching for is not the benchmark on which we measure lewdness.

If it bothers you, don't let your kids attend. I was on swim team as a youth so I saw guys walking around in brief swim shorts all the time. If you didn't, I guess you'll pave some sexual meaning on it. That's your problem.

If you want to be respected then you act respectable. Acting in a lewd fashion in the streets for all to see is not respectable behavior and no one has a reason to accept you because of it. In fact, the behavior actually causes people to lose respect for you and whatever cause you're trying to promote.
Win some lose some. Can't please everybody.Gay pride events have been around for years,and there has be a growing acceptance of homosexuality among our populaton to the point that we are now the majority.
Can't be the good guys if their are no bad guys.
Guess which hat your wearing.
As of a Straight Pride Parade, well, it's basically like a White Pride Parade.

For the record,your comparison,not mine.

White people are not allowed to have pride in being white, and straight people are not allowed to have pride in being straight.
Exactly how?
Can you show me where in the Constitution says you can't.

Exactly how are they not being allowed to?

Good grief man,if you are going to make allegations at least have the decency to provide evidence.
You've been around here long enough to to know that already.

A Straight Pride Parade would go over as well as anything the KKK does.

So what?

Wah,wah,wah,"people might not like us and might criticize us, and may not want to come",wah wah wah.
Well,ladies and gentleman,it seems we sailed pass "The Right Not to be Boycotted" straight in to "The Right Not to be Critized" part of the program.

Thank you for proving my point about what this is really all about.
You have been most helpful.

So where are they getting the pictures from if none of that stuff happens at the parades? :lol:
What pictures? The ones with guys in briefs? That isn't lewd. So they likely get those from the parade.

You just think it's lewd because they're gay. That's it.

What pictures? The ones with guys in briefs? That isn't lewd. So they likely get those from the parade.

You just think it's lewd because they're gay. That's it.

There is plenty of pictures of people dressed an inappropriate manner or doing things that are not appropriate for the public.

To me, the idea of being in your face is a person going out of their way too make you know they are (insert description here.)

A person that goes to a Greek festival, or a Greek festival itself isn't in your face about being Greek or enjoying Greek culture.

People who attend Irish pride parades on St Patrick's day aren't in your face about being Irish or liking Irish culture.

The only difference between "in your face gays" and everybody else seems to be that they are gay. And the only people that bitch, moan, complain, cry, and caterwall about it are the people that don't like gay people.

You're going out of your way to cry about something that doesn't have anything to do with you. It sends like you're in my face with your disdain for my sexual orientation.

In fact the pride parade itself is a commemoration of a riot. A riot that happened in a private club when city officials and all the little busy bodies were so concerned about what people were doing in their club away from them.

So really the parade is a reaction to people getting into their face.

It's easier for the police not to go storming into a gay club and arrest people, and harass the gay people that went to the club. They went out of their way to get all up in the faces of gay people.

You go out of your way to get into gay people's business.

It seems the fact that we don't bow down to you and others like you is what you mean by in your face.

I understand the argument for gay pride parades. But, the thought that gay issues are not thrown into our faces is not the reality. The 10-plus rainbow flags flying as I walk down the main street in my village are a testament to that.

BTW: I could not care less who is gay or not. It matters to me not at all. In fact, I like gay men. Less competition for women, especially since they are the men women usually like.

How self centered.The parade isn't about getting respect. And guys wearing swimming shorts isn't lewd.

As of a Straight Pride Parade, well, it's basically like a White Pride Parade. White people are not allowed to have pride in being white, and straight people are not allowed to have pride in being straight. A Straight Pride Parade would go over as well as anything the KKK does.
You want a parade celebrating your sexuality? Well I don't see that as a problem. In the thousands of years humans have been on the planet there has never been a straight pride parade, but go ahead.

There is plenty of pictures of people dressed an inappropriate manner or doing things that are not appropriate for the public.
So what?
Then don't attend those events,and let those who have no problem with what goes on there attend.
Everyone knows what goes down during Mardi Gras.
Can't stand the heat,get out of the kitchen.
It's really quite a simple concept.
Why are you having such a problem with it?

So exactly how should people dress,Mr. Fashion Critic?
Tell us all abot this summer's new "Puritan" line.

Win some lose some. Can't please everybody.Gay pride events have been around for years,and there has be a growing acceptance of homosexuality among our populaton to the point that we are now the majority.
Can't be the good guys if their are no bad guys.
Guess which hat your wearing.

Makes no difference to me what hat you think I'm wearing. I also don't think acceptance has really moved as much as people think. I think it's has just been driven under like other things in this country have been in the past. If that is a good thing or a bad thing is up to other people to decide.

For the record,your comparison,not mine.

You were the one that brought it up, not me. :shrug:

Exactly how?
Can you show me where in the Constitution says you can't.

Exactly how are they not being allowed to?

Good grief man,if you are going to make allegations at least have the decency to provide evidence.
You've been around here long enough to to know that already.

It's not acceptable for people the majority to have pride in who they are. It's been that way for decades now. Of it's not illegal and no one could stop a straight pride parade, but it would go very poorly.

So what?

Wah,wah,wah,"people might not like us and might criticize us, and may not want to come",wah wah wah.
Well,ladies and gentleman,it seems we sailed pass "The Right Not to be Boycotted" straight in to "The Right Not to be Critized" part of the program.

Thank you for proving my point about what this is really all about.
You have been most helpful.

Do you even remember gay people crying a few years ago about straight people not accepting their parades? Apparently not.

So what?
Then don't attend those event,and let those who have no problem with what goes on there attend.
Everyone knows what goes down during Mardi Gras.
Can't stand the heat,get out of the kitchen.
It's really quite a simple concept.
Why are you having such a problem with it?

So exactly how should people dress,Mr. Fashion Critic?
Tell us all abot this summer's new "Puritan" line.

Do you understand that the intent behind Mardi Gras and gay pride parades are entirely different? Do you have any other bogus comparisons?

I understand the argument for gay pride parades. But, the thought that gay issues are not thrown into our faces is not the reality. The 10-plus rainbow flags flying as I walk down the main street in my village are a testament to that.
Aww what a delicate wittel snow fwake you are.

So you're convinced that people are maliciously hanging flags to shove your face in it? That's some extreme narcissisism.

BTW: I could not care less who is gay or not. It matters to me not at all. In fact, I like gay men.
You can tell yourself that lie all you want. You think ten flags hung outside is people throwing their sexuality in your face. You have a consuming issue with gay people if you're that sensative.

Makes no difference to me what hat you think I'm wearing. I also don't think acceptance has really moved as much as people think. I think it's has just been driven under like other things in this country have been in the past. If that is a good thing or a bad thing is up to other people to decide.
If something is driven down it means people are afraid to publication express such feelings. Meaning acceptance is the norm.

Do you understand that the intent behind Mardi Gras and gay pride parades are entirely different? Do you have any other bogus comparisons?

They are still a bunch of people having a damn good time.No matter how much you try to spin it.
It's a party,who carfes about why it's being thrown (other than you,of course)
Why should I care about the intent?
Do you normally go to parties and just sit there wondering why they threw the party?

You're probably right, someone must've planted those pics to make GPP goers look overly lewd and flamboyant.
Well they suck at it because the pictures you posted weren't lewd. A man wearing a brief bathing suit isn't lewd. So nice fail.

Further, flamboyance at a parade? Oh stop the presses. Because miss universe sitting on top of a three story trailer covered in flowers at the Thanksgiving day parade isn't flamboyant at all.

They're probably just pics from a local Memorial Day parade or something, which obviously makes more sense.
I have seen guys in loin cloths sword fighting in the Thanksgiving day parade.

But that's not lewd because they aren't gay.

Dressed in a lewd manner means exposure of genitalia or anus. In the pictures posted thus far there isn't any of that so it isn't lewd.

If a guy in a brief bathing suit makes you feel awkward, that's not lewd.

Yeah one is about democracy, throwing sexuality out in public for everybody to see it and the other is about gay pride.

Back
Top Bottom