• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why our sense of time speeds up as we age — and how to slow it down

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/why-our-sense-time-speeds-we-age-how-slow-it-ncna936351

We can’t slow time itself down, but we can do things to pace ourselves and create more lasting impressions of times past.

The expression “time flies,” originating from the Latin phrase "tempus fugit," is one we all find ourselves saying or thinking, even when we aren't having fun (as the extended expression goes).

The flight of time can be so fast it can feel, upon reflection, like our life is passing us by. Whether we're scrolling through Facebook looking at the photos of old friends, dropping our children off at school and feeling moved by how big they're getting or celebrating our own birthday, we may stop and say, "Where’d the time go?"
=========================================
One perceptive answer in the article:

“For a 10-year-old, one year is 10 percent of their lives,” Kesari says. “For a 60-year-old, one year is less than two percent of their lives.”

I assumed that was common knowledge.

I also find that when you are raising children the days go by slow while the years go by fast, which I find interesting.

I assumed that was common knowledge.

I also find that when you are raising children the days go by slow while the years go by fast, which I find interesting.

When I was a preschooler the summers went on for ever. Now on Medicare, did I miss last summer somehow?

When I was a preschooler the summers went on for ever. Now on Medicare, did I miss last summer somehow?

Yep. Summers felt like a lifetime of adventure when I was kid. Now I have kids of my own and their summer break just flies by.

When you reach 60 birthdays become like milestone posts along the highway and you are driving 70.

As the list of things one has to do gets longer then there is less time left for doing the things that one wants to do. Couple that with the fact that (old) age also makes doing those things one has to do take longer and the result is amplified.

When I was a child there were two milestones that couldn’t come fast enough. One was sixteen and the other was twenty-one. Since then it has been a blur, can’t find the brakes to save my ass........

When you reach 60 birthdays become like milestone posts along the highway and you are driving 70.

Hot Rod Lincoln: “....the lines on the road look like dots...........”

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/why-our-sense-time-speeds-we-age-how-slow-it-ncna936351

We can’t slow time itself down, but we can do things to pace ourselves and create more lasting impressions of times past.

The expression “time flies,” originating from the Latin phrase "tempus fugit," is one we all find ourselves saying or thinking, even when we aren't having fun (as the extended expression goes).

The flight of time can be so fast it can feel, upon reflection, like our life is passing us by. Whether we're scrolling through Facebook looking at the photos of old friends, dropping our children off at school and feeling moved by how big they're getting or celebrating our own birthday, we may stop and say, "Where’d the time go?"
=========================================
One perceptive answer in the article:

“For a 10-year-old, one year is 10 percent of their lives,” Kesari says. “For a 60-year-old, one year is less than two percent of their lives.”

As my late father said: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"

Back
Top Bottom