• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Not Special Plates/Stickers for Gun Owners?

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Would it be useful to have special license plates or stickers for gun owners who travel with their guns? That way law enforcement would immediately know they were dealing with a gun carrying motorist, even before they pull them over.

Would it be useful to have special license plates or stickers for gun owners who travel with their guns? That way law enforcement would immediately know they were dealing with a gun carrying motorist, even before they pull them over.

Just. No.

I may or may not be carrying my gun, first of all. Secondly, stolen guns are a valuable commodity. I don't want to inadvertently put a target on my back.

Hands on steering wheel. I have a legal firearm in a holster in my waistband. Obey the officer's instructions to the letter. Remember, he just wants to make it home at the end of his shift.

Some, not all, jurisdictions correlate licenses and registrations to driver's licenses. That's fine. They should all do it. But advertising to strangers? No way.

It could (would?) also allow criminals to target them for break ins since stolen guns are very marketable. It may be best not to advertise that your (parked) vehicle is more likely to contain highly desirable cargo.

It could (would?) also allow criminals to target them for break ins since stolen guns are very marketable. It may be best not to advertise that your (parked) vehicle is more likely to contain highly desirable cargo.

This is what the Poisonous Snakes On Board sign is for.

In Ohio the cops know if you have a CCW before they approach the car

Sounds like a backdoor firearms database. So no.

And what is the benefit? The danger to police officers is the criminal that would not have said sticker or plate.

Sure. Make it a yellow six-pointed star.

/sarc

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

Do you stop and think before you post such things?

Criminals would love it. When they saw an unattended car with such a sticker, they'd know there were "free guns inside". :roll:

How about requiring all CCW's to get a tattoo on their forehead? The scarlet "G" for gun I suppose. THAT wouldn't violate anyone's rights... nobody important anyway...

The last time I checked I have no obligation to cater to the fears of others. If a cop is scared of armed citizens they should probably get out of law enforcement.

And what is the benefit? The danger to police officers is the criminal that would not have said sticker or plate.

Exactly... while lawful gun owners are almost never a threat to police.

Hell, I got pulled over, and showed the cop my CCW permit and told him I was armed... and actually saw him RELAX, because he knew that permit meant I had a clean record and a strong motivation to keep it that way.

We already have special plates indicating gun ownership.

Just look for any tag that says " TEXAS ".

This system already exists in reality, except it is only on the computer screens of any and all law enforcement.

ANYONE who is issued a CCW by any state, already has their tags flagged as being a gun owner by law enforcement from any other state, and is possibly carrying.

That is the main reason I refuse to get a CCW.

Horror stories abound where in gun hating states, people have been pulled over and searched just because their tag came up as the owner having a CCW.

Then if they do not find any gun, they drive away, leaving all your crap strewn about on the side of the road for you to put back in. This kind of crap happens all the time.

Maryland, and Illinois are some of the worst offenders.

Last edited:
This system already exists in reality, except it is only on the computer screens of any and all law enforcement.

ANYONE who is issued a CCW by any state, already has their tags flagged as being a gun owner by law enforcement from any other state, and is possibly carrying.

That is the main reason I refuse to get a CCW.

Horror stories abound where in gun hating states, people have been pulled over and searched just because their tag came up as the owner having a CCW.

Then if they do not find any gun, they drive away, leaving all your crap strewn about on the side of the road for you to put back in. This kind of crap happens all the time.

Maryland, and Illinois are some of the worst offenders.

How about one of those stickers like the "Baby on Board" stickers? It could say, "Coward on Board."

How about one of those stickers like the "Baby on Board" stickers? It could say, "Coward on Board."

HILARIOUS!!! I have no idea why Comedy Central hasn't approached you for a special.

**** no. I carry concealed for a reason. I don't want dickwads treating me different because I have a gun. Better nobody knows and behave accordingly.

Why would a non gun owner be labeled a coward?

Doesn't make sense to me. All it tells the police, and everyone else, is that the registered owner of the vehicle has a permit, not who the driver is. Why don't we put on license plates those people who have a DUI on their record, or a special plate for anyone behind on their child-support payments or someone who wears glasses. Kind of dumb and useless if you ask me.

No that would be for the left wingers who are afraid of guns, They should have a stick that says "I outsource my personal safety to the Government".

Just. No.

I may or may not be carrying my gun, first of all. Secondly, stolen guns are a valuable commodity. I don't want to inadvertently put a target on my back.

Hands on steering wheel. I have a legal firearm in a holster in my waistband. Obey the officer's instructions to the letter. Remember, he just wants to make it home at the end of his shift.

Some, not all, jurisdictions correlate licenses and registrations to driver's licenses. That's fine. They should all do it. But advertising to strangers? No way.

Wait - I thought the pro-gun argument is that carrying a gun makes you safer, rather than putting you at greater risk for being attacked. When someone has a sticker on their home window advertising they have a security-system, it doesn't increase the risk of being burgled. But now you're telling me that advertising that you're carrying a gun increases your risk of being attacked. To me, that's a contradictory argument compared to what pro-gun people usually say. So according to what you've said, the gun has no deterrent value, and advertising that you're carrying a gun just means you're at greater risk, not lesser risk.

This undermines the pro-gun argument.

I'm talking about danger to law-abiding person who gets shot by law enforcement who were spooked that citizen had a gun. That's one of the things in the news right now. Minnesota officer is making legal defense argument that they were fearful because motorist informed him he had a gun. Is officer lying?

When officer can be heard screaming on video, "I-I told him not to reach for it!" was he referring to cigarettes? It seems to me he was referring to gun that motorist told him he had.

The ID tag would end up being a safety notification for criminals. They would easily know which cars to aviod, and which cars will be easy targets because the people inside cannot fight back.

The legisalures can name it the Criminal Safety Act.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Wait - I thought the pro-gun argument is that carrying a gun makes you safer, rather than putting you at greater risk for being attacked. When someone has a sticker on their home window advertising they have a security-system, it doesn't increase the risk of being burgled. But now you're telling me that advertising that you're carrying a gun increases your risk of being attacked. To me, that's a contradictory argument compared to what pro-gun people usually say. So according to what you've said, the gun has no deterrent value, and advertising that you're carrying a gun just means you're at greater risk, not lesser risk.

This undermines the pro-gun argument.

Pfft. I would never advertise I'm carrying a gun. Why would I make myself a target? In fact, cops off duty don't advertise they have guns. Why would I? When I moved into my house, the previous owner had an NRA sticker in his window. He didn't have guns. I took it down. How silly to advertise you have guns!

My gun bag is generic. The only people who probably realize I have a gun and ammo in it are other gun owners. I don't have to advertise. I just have to be a crack shot. And I am.

Back
Top Bottom