• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why not polygamy?

Barnabas Collins

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Polygamy: The Next Marriage Rights Frontier - YouTube

A lot of people are claiming that if we allow gay marriage then polygamy will be next. Well, why not? If a man wants to marry a man, and that is legal, then why can't a man marry two women? I realize that our laws are based largely on Roman law, which incidentally was set up for inheritance purposes and recognized that men would be able to have slave girls and boys at their disposal. When the Catholic Church came along they adopted these laws into doctrine despite the prophets of the Bible having been polygamists. Even Martin Luther later noted that the Bible has no condemnation of polygamy.

So why not allow it? There seems a lot more women out there who would like to settle down and have some kids than there are men available that anyone would want to reproduce with.

A lot of people are claiming that if we allow gay marriage then polygamy will be next. Well, why not? If a man wants to marry a man, and that is legal, then why can't a man marry two women? I realize that our laws are based largely on Roman law, which incidentally was set up for inheritance purposes and recognized that men would be able to have slave girls and boys at their disposal. When the Catholic Church came along they adopted these laws into doctrine despite the prophets of the Bible having been polygamists. Even Martin Luther later noted that the Bible has no condemnation of polygamy.

So why not allow it? There seems a lot more women out there who would like to settle down and have some kids than there are men available that anyone would want to reproduce with.

I tend to agree. If homosexuals can be considered "married", why not any gaggle of individuals that are wanting tax breaks and survivor benefits to keep whatever they have from the greedy clutches of the government.

Besides.... I never knew why something like bigamy or polygamy was a crime, anyway. Having a law that punishes men for having more than one wife is like writing a law to punish someone for smashing their thumb with a hammer.

I would have to agree with you. I'm not saying I would want to participate in polygamy but if someone wants two wives I don't see the problem if both wives can agree.

I have neither practical nor moral objections to polygamy. I wouldn't mind seeing it legalized.

one wife is too much for most people,why would they want more?????

im sure every man wants to hear seven women screaming to take out the garbage instead of one.

Because there's only so many hot chix to go around. I don't want a gaggle of wildebeests.

morally you have a point, but lets look at the legal aspect of it. just think of divorce laws. it would be a mess

Might as well. Also polyandry, polyamory, line-marriage, clan-marriage, group-marriage, and so on.

Once we kick the door open and say marriage is what you want it to be, well....

Last edited:
Don't kill the messenger ok??? Not saying I agree not saying it's right I'm just reporting.

There has already been a paper published by a university that claims, pedophilia is simply a sexual orientation.

Psychologist says pedophilia is sexual orientation similar to homosexuality :: Northern Colorado Gazette
Is Pedophilia a Sexual Orientation? A Psychologist Breaks Down What Makes a Jerry Sandusky | Crime on GOOD
Pedophilia Is A Sexual Orientation Under CA Bill |

and would like to add that Pedophilia, Bestiality, and other abnormal sexual orientation are all listed as mental defects but not Homosexuality

Don't kill the messenger ok??? Not saying I agree not saying it's right I'm just reporting.

There has already been a paper published by a university that claims, pedophilia is simply a sexual orientation.

Psychologist says pedophilia is sexual orientation similar to homosexuality :: Northern Colorado Gazette
Is Pedophilia a Sexual Orientation? A Psychologist Breaks Down What Makes a Jerry Sandusky | Crime on GOOD

and would like to add that Pedophilia, Bestiality, and other abnormal sexual orientations are all listed as mental defects but not Homosexuality

and would like to add that Pedophilia, Bestiality, and other abnormal sexual orientations are all listed as mental defects but not Homosexuality

Because the whole world should think alike and do exactly the same thing because then Jesus would love us all ?................What a Weltanschauung..........................

I don't care. As long as it involves consenting adults and does not involve children, animals or me and mine it doesn't matter to me. Anyway, how would I know. I'm certain all of us have neighbors and friends who are more than neighbors and friends to neighbors and friends. Who cares? If it doesn't impact my family why would you care?

Legal polyamory would be a piece of paper establishing legal rights for those involved. So you have 5 neighbors down the road who want to be married to each other. How will that make a difference in how they already feel or what they already do? Damned if I know.

It isn't for me, but if several people care so much about each other and get along so well that they want to make it legal, it's better than a lot of married couples we know.

Might as well. Also polyandry, polyamory, line-marriage, clan-marriage, group-marriage, and so on.

Once we kick the door open and say marriage is what you want it to be, well....

We kicked that door open when we decides that marriage would be what "you" wanted it to be, you being those who felt the tradition that races shouldn't intermingle.

At least be honest and admit your Pandora's box flippancy is purely hypocritically based on the notion and ego that YOUR view is good and anything more than that means it "opens the door" for everything else

We kicked that door open when we decides that marriage would be what "you" wanted it to be, you being those who felt the tradition that races shouldn't intermingle.

At least be honest and admit your Pandora's box flippancy is purely hypocritically based on the notion and ego that YOUR view is good and anything more than that means it "opens the door" for everything else

Not admitting that there's anything hypocritical about what I said, because there isn't.

Many of the same arguments used to advance SSM could be used (and will be used) to advance other forms of marriage.

Now take note... did I even SAY that I had a problem with polygamy or group-marriage? Hint: I did not say that I did. Assumptions.

Not admitting that there's anything hypocritical about what I said, because there isn't.

Many of the same arguments used to advance SSM could be used (and will be used) to advance other forms of marriage.

Now take note... did I even SAY that I had a problem with polygamy or group-marriage? Hint: I did not say that I did. Assumptions.

I am willing to become a human guinea pig and allow myself to be married to the Italian Olympic men's sports polo team so the effects can be scientifically studied........................

I am willing to become a human guinea pig and allow myself to be married to the Italian Olympic men's sports polo team so the effects can be scientifically studied........................

Marrying horses doesn't count as polygamy.

I don't know that I'd necessarily agree or disagree with their position (I didn't actually read your links), and I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, but the difference between polygamy and homosexuality in comparison to pedophilia is consent. We don't grant minors legal powers (to anything, not just sex), or at least very limited legal powers.

Last edited:
I think most people think this way and most would continue too feel this way once polygamy was accepted as equal to monogamy in reference to marriage. Of course there are people who would thrive in such a lifestyle and they should have that right to do so.

I don't know that I'd necessarily agree or disagree with their position (I didn't actually read your links), and I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, but the difference between polygamy and homosexuality in comparison to pedophilia is consent. We don't grant minors legal powers (to anything, not just sex), or at least very limited legal powers.

Consent makes it impossible for a pedophile to marry a child but the homosexual argument about orientation being something people can't help and that society has to accept creates quite a conundrum if pedophilia is a "sexual orientation", too. My argument has always been that the government does not have to sanction all forms of "sexual orientation" in marriage merely because a class of people claim that their orientation is beyond their control and that they should, therefore, have a right to marry whatever it is they sexually desire.

and would like to add that Pedophilia, Bestiality, and other abnormal sexual orientation are all listed as mental defects but not Homosexuality

Give it some time. Homosexuality was listed as a mental defect until enough politically correct votes (of psychiatrist) conspired and said it wasn't. And it won't be long before most of those that push for gay marriage will answer the call and start pushing for people to be able to marry their dog or kids. Or have 15 wives (husbands) that may or may not be human. That way everybody gets to marry who they love.

I think now that so many States and the Supreme Court favor perversions of marriage, we may rest assured that numerous Islamic groups will demand that polygamy be made legal and recognized. I don't see how they can be denied d in States that have already succumbed to such nonsense.

Last edited:
Consent makes it impossible for a pedophile to marry a child but the homosexual argument about orientation being something people can't help and that society has to accept creates quite a conundrum if pedophilia is a "sexual orientation", too.
Not really. In fact, not at all.

It's really simple. Even if they are both sexual orientations, the fact a child cannot legally enter into contracts (marriage/sex) means a 25 year old cannot marry a 13 year old. It's not a conundrum at all.

My argument has always been that the government does not have to sanction all forms of "sexual orientation" in marriage merely because a class of people claim that their orientation is beyond their control and that they should, therefore, have a right to marry whatever it is they sexually desire.
My argument is that any two adults should be allowed to marry whomever they desire. I'm not exactly sure what your argument is trying to say, but it appears as if it's a way to skirt around the fact you do not want homosexuals to be allowed to marry. Maybe you support SSM, I don't know, I'm just saying how your statement comes off to me.

Not really. In fact, not at all.

It's really simple. Even if they are both sexual orientations, the fact a child cannot legally enter into contracts (marriage/sex) means a 25 year old cannot marry a 13 year old. It's not a conundrum at all.

My argument is that any two adults should be allowed to marry whomever they desire. I'm not exactly sure what your argument is trying to say, but it appears as if it's a way to skirt around the fact you do not want homosexuals to be allowed to marry. Maybe you support SSM, I don't know, I'm just saying how your statement comes off to me.

I don't support any state sanctioned marriage that isn't configured as one man and one woman. And I think issues of "sexual orientation" are two edged swords that shouldn't have a bearing on this. What people want to have sex with shouldn't drive the definition of marriage.

Back
Top Bottom