• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why not just cancel the election?

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
So Trump has essentially said that if he were to lose the election it would be due to fraudulent voting. And likewise, if he were to win the election, it would be a legitimate win.

So, why have the election? Why not simply cancel the election, declare Trump president for life and be done with it? If it is a foregone conclusion that the only way Trump will leave office is through criminal activity, why support such?

The Trump supporters on this board know Trump is right.

Election or no election the 20th amendment is quite clear.....“the terms of the president and vice president shall end at noon” on January 20."

So I guess if there wasn't an election then Nancy Pelosi would become the president at noon on Jan. 20.

Last edited:
So Trump has essentially said that if he were to lose the election it would be due to fraudulent voting. And likewise, if he were to win the election, it would be a legitimate win.

So, why have the election? Why not simply cancel the election, declare Trump president for life and be done with it? If it is a foregone conclusion that the only way Trump will leave office is through criminal activity, why support such?

I think a better solution is to cancel Trump himself. That would solve all the problems

Lets build a wall in Trump's mouth. That would cancel him as he is full of hot air BS.

wall3.jpg

Not sure but doesn't the law say something to the effect that that if no one is elected in November then the Speaker of the House automatically becomes president until one is elected?

edit: Election or no election the 20th amendment is quite clear.....“the terms of the president and vice president shall end at noon” on January 20."

So I guess that means "no election" means Nancy Pelosi will become the president at noon on Jan. 20.
But so do the House terms (expire)! And 1/3rd of the Senate (expire), too.

In a recent series of posts elsewhere, I worked succession down to a Dem majority in a just barely Senate quorum placing a Dem Senate Pro-tempore behind the resolute desk. No idea if my logic is sound, but that's where the path led me.

I think a better solution is to cancel Trump himself. That would solve all the problems

Lets build a wall in Trump's mouth. That would cancel him as he is full of hot air BS.

View attachment 67291466

You and might not agree on much...but that is a funny meme, right there.

Because we have a Constitutional form of Government. Any questions?

You probably aren't the best anti-Trumper who should be speaking for Trump supporters.

But so do the House terms (expire)! And 1/3rd of the Senate (expire), too.

In a recent series of posts elsewhere, I worked succession down to a Dem majority in a just barely Senate quorum placing a Dem Senate Pro-tempore behind the resolute desk. No idea if my logic is sound, but that's where the path led me.

You got me there...I don't know. But the date Jan. 3 keeps coming to mind...it might be an expiration date, but I'd have to look it up to be sure....but yes, you sound very logical to me. :)

Actually we could cancel the election and have the state governments decide who gets their electors

You got me there...I don't know. But the date Jan. 3 keeps coming to mind...it might be an expiration date, but I'd have to look it up to be sure....but yes, you sound very logical to me. :)

20th amendment. That is when congressional terms end. Potus noon on January 20th.

Yes, the House & Senate terms expire on 3 JAN. There's nothing that can be done about it. It's what happens after that (& 20 JAN) that get's interesting!

There are clauses for dealing with House & Senate seats that are not seated for some reason, and those may interdict the line of succession that takes place on 20 JAN. But that gets even more sticky. It involves governors filling the appointments.

Because we have a Constitutional form of Government. Any questions?

So, you're saying the foregone conclusion not withstanding, the formality of an election must proceed. Then what? Trump accepts the re-election or he rejects the loss. Then he refuses to leave office until the USSC rules in his favor, then he doesn't leave office. Seems like a lot of wasted time and effort.

Yes, the House & Senate terms expire on 3 JAN. There's nothing that can be done about it. It's what happens after that (& 20 JAN) that get's interesting!

There are clauses for dealing with House & Senate seats that are not seated for some reason, and those may interdict the line of succession that takes place on 20 JAN. But that gets even more sticky. It involves governors filling the appointments.

I think the Jan. 3 term expiration is for a reason...in that it ensures that the new congress decides what comes next.

You probably aren't the best anti-Trumper who should be speaking for Trump supporters.

I'm sure I'm not. However, I noticed you did not dissuade me from the OP notion. Admit it. Deep down inside, you would love it.

Trump has said on a few occasions that he expects the election to take months to sort out. If that were to happen and extend past January 20th, would Pelosi become interim president while they sort it out? Similarly with any delays with House and Senate seats, would governors have to find fill ins in the interim?

I think the Jan. 3 term expiration is for a reason...in that it ensures that the new congress decides what comes next.
Exactly, Moot.

Trump has said on a few occasions that he expects the election to take months to sort out. If that were to happen and extend past January 20th, would Pelosi become interim president while they sort it out? Similarly with any delays with House and Senate seats, would governors have to find fill ins in the interim?
In the link below, I posted above in terms of succession. Just thoughts on my part. I'd have to look for my more detailed earlier posts. My succession suppositions could be superseded by possible non-elective procedures to seat the two congressional bodies before the 20th, though. I seem to recall the governors have a hand in this last.

DP

In the link below, I posted above in terms of succession. Just thoughts on my part. I'd have to look for my more detailed earlier posts. My succession suppositions could be superseded by possible non-elective procedures to seat the two congressional bodies before the 20th, though. I seem to recall the governors have a hand in this last.

DP

Interesting. I also found this: Pelosi wouldn't be president if Congress delayed elections | wusa9.com

It seems that due to so many seats being lost on January 3rd, Pelosi's among those lost, there is really no knowing exactly how things would unfold. It depends on how those vacancies are filled and then who the President Pro Tempore is when January 20th arrives. I really hope this does not become more of a muddled mess than it already appears it will be come late September through early November as votes are cast. That report does lend credence to your logic.

Election or no election the 20th amendment is quite clear.....“the terms of the president and vice president shall end at noon” on January 20."

So I guess if there wasn't an election then Nancy Pelosi would become the president at noon on Jan. 20.

I'm fine with that. I'd rather Pelosi be president than Biden tbh.

Back
Top Bottom