• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why no boycott against N Korea?

joergan

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(not sure where to put this thread, I checked all of the forum headers twice and found no area suitable - so if the mods want to move it, by all means)

After an israeli action, nations like sweden and others will boycott israeli sports teams, produce, etc., but when N Korea openly torpedoes and murders 60 South Korean servicemen in cold blood - not a peep... :shock:

N Korea just played its second World Cup game - and neither country, Brazil or Portugal mentioned they were unhappy about playing this team. Can anyone explain why there is such a double standard here?

Last edited:
Well, it's 46 sailors, not 60. Check your source next time.
Also, the reason is because the world is so used to NK's actions. Israel's are quite new and although I know there were other actions like the blockade, none were famous like that. However, the world is quite used to NK. Also, we can't do anything except negotiate. If we threaten or invade, then SK gets blown up, which will be quite unsatisfactory to the 50 million people living there, me included.

North Korea offers nothing to the world that is worth boycotting.

Agree, is there anything being exported from NK that anyone would want?

60-70's era Soviet weapons

Overall though North Korea is boycotted all the time, it also has plenty of sanctions placed on it.

Short of preventing any food aid from going into NK, or going to war with it there really is not much more that can be done.

An "accidental" sinking of an NK ship might occur, but that is about all that might be done without seeing Seoul burning

They are pretty good at making counterfit American currency.

Well, South Korea and North Korea used to trade back and forth until that idiot of our president put sanctions on them, abandoned all the hard work his predessecors did in North Korea and angered them to an extent where they sank the Cheonan. Then, he stopped all trade, expelled every North Korean ship in South Korean waters and started a propaganda campaign which will only anger the North more. All the hard work done by Roh-Muh-Hyun, Kim-Dae-Jung, Roh-Tae-Woo was immediately destroyed by that idiot.

A lot of it is simply thinly veiled anti-Semitism.

I actually do boycott against NORTH Korea, and Goshin please learn what Semitics means.

from Webster on Semitics
1. Of or relating to the Semites or their languages or cultures.
2. Of, relating to, or constituting a subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic language group that includes Arabic, Hebrew, Amharic, and Aramaic.

Well, South Korea and North Korea used to trade back and forth until that idiot of our president put sanctions on them, abandoned all the hard work his predessecors did in North Korea and angered them to an extent where they sank the Cheonan. Then, he stopped all trade, expelled every North Korean ship in South Korean waters and started a propaganda campaign which will only anger the North more. All the hard work done by Roh-Muh-Hyun, Kim-Dae-Jung, Roh-Tae-Woo was immediately destroyed by that idiot.

What exactly did any of them accomplish? While the South's sunshine policy was in effect, the North acquired nukes, tested them, fired missiles over Japan, and generally threatened the region.

North Korea is really off everyone's radar except when people say, why criticise Israel and not North Korea. Nobody expects anything of North Korea. I thought they already had sanctions and people have said that is so as far as they can be sanctioned. From what I hear the people there live in abject poverty. They have no power. There is no way to influence them. They are just an isolated people living under a repressive regime who from what I hear are told a big load of lies about the world.

What on earth would you expect us to do?

If the people started a revolution perhaps someone would go to help them or maybe they would just leave them to die but to compare North Korea to Israel and so to expect people to act towards them the same seems a bit mad.

As others have noted there's not a boycott against NK because they don't sell hardly a thing to boycott. They sell primarily to China and S Korea
and as noted Nk is already subject to numerous sanctions.

To compare NK to Israel is quite a stretch, like comparing apples to asteroids.

Are any of the countries being boycotted, in the world cup? While the olympics have been for decades a stage for political activism, I dont think the world cup has even been?

I actually do boycott against NORTH Korea, and Goshin please learn what Semitics means.

Are you really trying to pull this ruse AGAIN?

The word antisemitism was coined originally to indicate hatred of Jews and has remained quite consistant in its use ever since. Now, certainly the Islamist hate sites that target Jews like to try to fool those sympathetic to their point of view that the internal structure of the term should somehow indicate antipathies to all semitic peoples, but that is just malarky aimed at the foolish.

Antisemitism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(not sure where to put this thread, I checked all of the forum headers twice and found no area suitable - so if the mods want to move it, by all means)

After an israeli action, nations like sweden and others will boycott israeli sports teams, produce, etc., but when N Korea openly torpedoes and murders 60 South Korean servicemen in cold blood - not a peep... :shock:

N Korea just played its second World Cup game - and neither country, Brazil or Portugal mentioned they were unhappy about playing this team. Can anyone explain why there is such a double standard here?

The entire point of FIFA is to avoid the politicization of sport, and of course, a good game.

Well, they built a lot of contacts inside North Korea, so SK and NK became friendlier. Also, I have a timeline of inter-Korean relations, and it points out that there had been many deals regarding their nuke program which included the destrution of a reactor and complicated stuff like that. However, ever since that idiot of a president came into office, the Cheonan sank, an SK tourist got killed, they tested another bomb underground and generally made headlines around the world.
Under which kind of administration do you think that Korean reunification was possible?

Also, SK stands for South Korea and NK stands for North Korea. Also, SK is the name of a telecommunication brand in South Korea, but don't get it mixed up

UN security council approves 'unprecedented' sanctions against North Korea over nuclear test | World news | guardian.co.uk
U.S. renews sanctions against North Korea | Reuters
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1928 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1874 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for a boycott...it would be useless since North Korea is nearly an autarky. They export only 2 billions/year, mainly (80%) to China and South Korea

Well, they built a lot of contacts inside North Korea, so SK and NK became friendlier. Also, I have a timeline of inter-Korean relations, and it points out that there had been many deals regarding their nuke program which included the destrution of a reactor and complicated stuff like that. However, ever since that idiot of a president came into office, the Cheonan sank, an SK tourist got killed, they tested another bomb underground and generally made headlines around the world.
Under which kind of administration do you think that Korean reunification was possible?

One in which Kim Jong-il is NOT in power in the North. If that condition isn't met, it really doesn't matter what kind of administration the South has. Reunification isn't going to happen. Do you really believe that if the South elects the right people, Kim Jong-il will agree to reunify the country under Southern rule? That isn't the kind of reunification he has in mind.

Last edited:
Yeah..You got a point. However, reunification came closer and began a starting point for peaceful reunification. However, that idiot destroyed all of that. It took Germany 50 years to reunite by peaceful means and the methods used were the opposite of that idiot. You see my point?

Im sick of 'Israel Supporters' coming on the thread and bitching about some sort of double standard. NK and SK are at War and have been for decades. No peace treaty has ever been declared this is a small chapter in a long book. Coming up and saying "well THEY do evil things too and they dont get as hard of a rap" is a weak pointless argument by a would be war crimes denier. Sorry, 5 minutes of google searching isn't enough to prove that Israel is being treated with some sort of double standard. Stop whining.

I petty the South Koreans should ever the day come for reunification with the north

Specifically in regards to economic conditions. North Korea compared to SK is very underdeveloped and would require hundreds of billions in development and aid packages. The standard of living for South Koreans would drop drastically as resourc es are pushed into North Korea to bring them up to a certain level.

South Korea would be better served by NK remaining an independant country, but one that is open for trade and diplomatic relations. When North Korea reaches a reasonable level of development then reunification would be a true prospect. As it stands a North and South Korean reunification would be far harder then was West and East Germany

Actually Pyongyang exports nuclear reactors and ballistic missiles, like the No-Dong - a variant of the Scud C - which the Iranians have modified as the basis for their Shahab-3. Mind you the Israelis summarily bombed Syria's NK-produced reactor and the North's No-Dong have about as much strategic capability as a roman candle. But still, they technically qualify as exports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom