• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why my parents just got arrested in Madison, WI

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why My Parents Just Got Arrested in Madison | The Progressive

Not my parents, but that's the title of the article.

After making their way through the usual suspects of people who have previously been cited – unsuccessfully - for exercising their freedom of speech in the building, they moved on to others who continued to sing.

That’s when they started going for the elders, including my parents.

It was awkward to be part of the swarm of journalists crowding around my own parents as the police were closing in on them.

When Mom was surrounded by cops who were handcuffing the woman next to her and Mom looked her in the eye singing the verse of We Shall Overcome that says, “We are not afraid,” I burst into tears. The courage, care for her friend and incredibly centered and peaceful defiance she showed in the face of the overblown police action was deeply moving.

And when Mom and Dad were handcuffed and led downstairs singing the words, “Walker won’t be governor, Walker won’t be governor, Walker won’t be governor someday,” my daughter’s heart swelled with pride.

The devotion of my parents and others who frequent the Sing Along to holding open a public space for free expression of political speech is truly remarkable. Though critics and rightwing politicians and bloggers characterize them as children having a tantrum after not getting their way, they are truly on the frontlines of defending civil liberties in a state and nation where they are under fierce attack.

My parents’ lifelong dedication to social justice and building a more humane society has led them to this place. In an interview with a local radio station after the arrests, Dad told the interviewer that he felt “elated” and that he was “proud to be among what I would call distinguished people who have been arrested previous to me.”

Yesterday was the first time either of them had been arrested.

It might not be the last.

I don't see how Wisconsin can get away with what they are doing, or why they are even trying. Their actions fly in the face of what free citizens in a free country are free to do.

I don't see how Wisconsin can get away with what they are doing, or why they are even trying. Their actions fly in the face of what free citizens in a free country are free to do.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I don't know of any jurisdiction where the government allows people to take over a public building or the legislature and refuse to vacate when asked. Your freedom of expression does not entitle you to obstruct government operations nor does it entitle you to obstruct other peoples freedom of expression or their right to carry on their lawful business.

Have you been paying attention to anything the government on whole has been doing? This is part and parcel.

Yes, I have. This is my state to the east. It's very sad what has been happening over there this past few years.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I don't know of any jurisdiction where the government allows people to take over a public building or the legislature and refuse to vacate when asked. Your freedom of expression does not entitle you to obstruct government operations nor does it entitle you to obstruct other peoples freedom of expression or their right to carry on their lawful business.

YA! Only politicians are allowed to obstruct the operations of gov't.

Yes, I have. This is my state to the east. It's very sad what has been happening over there this past few years.

It is, but it's not limited to Wisconsin. This is a federal level problem.

I think they should put them in the drunk tank on suicide watch for 24 hours every time. That'll change their tune.

Suddenly the tea party loves Big Gummit.

The article mentions that there were hundreds of dismissed citations.
That interests me.

What were the citations for I wonder.

Suddenly the tea party loves Big Gummit.

Many people love big government when it gets them what they want. Very few have what it takes to live by the responsibilities and consequences of freedom.

Joan Kemble, 80, said she and her 85-year-old husband were taken to the cafeteria in the basement and “put through all the rigamarole.” When she refused to provide identification, she was told she would be taken to jail and fingerprinted. After about 15 minutes, she was back in the rotunda talking with reporters and Democratic legislators.

Read more: Solidarity Singers arrested in Capitol rotunda : Wsj

Joan Kemble, 80, said she and her 85-year-old husband were taken to the cafeteria in the basement and “put through all the rigamarole.” When she refused to provide identification, she was told she would be taken to jail and fingerprinted. After about 15 minutes, she was back in the rotunda talking with reporters and Democratic legislators.

Read more: Solidarity Singers arrested in Capitol rotunda : Wsj

From your link.

“My daughter used to say it was fascist and I thought she has being extreme,” said Kemble, the mother of Rebecca Kemble, a contributor to Progressive Magazine and a frequent Walker critic. “That’s before I got here and saw the things they are doing.”

Yeah, that's my perception of these situations as well.

"If you can't do the time don't do the crime".
Indeed. They all seem to be prepared to be arrested.

Though it's not clear that they're actually committing a real crime. Apparently, the citations which have been issued over the past two years that this protest has been going on have been dismissed.
Seems that a judge had to issued a temporary ruling telling WI that a few people don't need a permit at all. The current, temporary limit is 20 people before the state can require a permit. But, the actual case has still not been heard.

I see it more as good ol' boy short-sightedness than fascist.

I don't. The more they get away with, the more I see them committing wrongful acts against our citizens.

I don't. The more they get away with, the more I see them committing wrongful acts against our citizens.
imho, throwing around the word fascism waters down the word's meaning. They're not actually advocating fascism. They're just abusing their position of authority for reasons of ego.

And they're doing it in a way which seems counter-productive in the long run.
It's similar to, but very different than, when dictators imprison political cartoonists. It's the same sort of flawed reasoning imho. [though issuing citations is markedly different than throwing someone in prison]

It seems that more often than not, over-reacting [imho] like that galvanizes opposition and adds excitement (newsworthiness) to a situation the authority figure is ostensibly trying to stifle.
Imho, a better strategy would be to use tactics which make it more boring. Boring is powerful de-motivator.

Thankfully, there're certain kinds of people who're willing to go down to the demonstration and get their fair share of abuse. These people have already steeled themselves. Making an example of them tends to make them into martyrs. W/o that, they would just be loud, silly people.
But when authority engages them, it lends some power to the protests. Judging someone by the caliber enemies and all that.

This is all fake. Yes the events did happen, but the movement wanted what happened. Its a non story unless you fall for manipulative actions.

Demonstrators have meetings to organize who is going to be arrested. They say scripted things in front of the media. Its all a big play orchestrated to appear they way that they want it. Things like refusing to give your name to the police facilitates a scene rehearsed for the reporters on the scene. And in this case the reporter here was in on the protest and used his position to further manipulate things for the demonstrators. They wanted photos and video of senior citizens getting arrested and devised a way to make that happen.

Then they put their story in a progressive outlet a sensationalized it to a echo chamber that is all to eager to further the illusion. It all reminds me of Tea Party demonstrations and Fox TV. Live the lie.

This is all fake. Yes the events did happen, but the movement wanted what happened. Its a non story unless you fall for manipulative actions.
Demonstrators have meetings to organize who is going to be arrested. They say scripted things in front of the media. Its all a big play orchestrated to appear they way that they want it. Things like refusing to give your name to the police facilitates a scene rehearsed for the reporters on the scene. And in this case the reporter here was in on the protest and used his position to further manipulate things for the demonstrators. They wanted photos and video of senior citizens getting arrested and devised a way to make that happen.
Then they put their story in a progressive outlet a sensationalized it to a echo chamber that is all to eager to further the illusion. It all reminds me of Tea Party demonstrations and Fox TV. Live the lie.
I am not sure what false message you think is trying to be relayed.

I believe and already assumed much of what you have posted. Imho, it'd silly not to have a plan. Imho, it was not "fake" civil disobedience.

The plans and planning you refer to are pretty common, well-known tactics to handle protesting. Many times protesters go to protest with full knowledge that they will be arrested--even with the intention of getting arrested. I think the idea goes back a ways in our nation's history. It was an American, iirc, who made famous the idea of civil disobedience.

None of what I read gave me the impression that the protesters had any intent to pretend to be surprised that they were arrested.
Iirc:
  • the protesters have been doing this for two years or so
  • they were warned on multiple occasions that if they persisted that they would be arrested
  • "hundreds" of citations had already been given out for the very same thing*

And just to head off the inane conclusions of the inane, I am neither endorsing nor condemning their actions or their cause.

*It seems that the previously issued citations were subsequently dismissed.

I am not sure what false message you think is trying to be relayed.

I believe and already assumed much of what you have posted. Imho, it'd silly not to have a plan. Imho, it was not "fake" civil disobedience.

The plans and planning you refer to are pretty common, well-known tactics to handle protesting. Many times protesters go to protest with full knowledge that they will be arrested--even with the intention of getting arrested. I think the idea goes back a ways in our nation's history. It was an American, iirc, who made famous the idea of civil disobedience.

None of what I read gave me the impression that the protesters had any intent to pretend to be surprised that they were arrested.
Iirc:
  • the protesters have been doing this for two years or so
  • they were warned on multiple occasions that if they persisted that they would be arrested
  • "hundreds" of citations had already been given out for the very same thing*

And just to head off the inane conclusions of the inane, I am neither endorsing nor condemning their actions or their cause.

*It seems that the previously issued citations were subsequently dismissed.

The fake part would be that they were trying to make things look worse than it really was. They were engaging in a planned operation that manipulates the the authorities to make them look like they are acting like a fascist state.

My observation isnt for or against either side involved. But lets be honest about how the movement that is involved in these actions is trying to paint the US Government as a failed system that is a fascist evil empire (as their propaganda goes). The fact that they organized a action that concentrated on getting photos and video of elderly people getting arrested when the reason was that these elderly purposely would not divulge their identity shows that its a fake as crap.

I support citizens that stand up for their rights but I do not support devious plots to try and make the authorities look like fascists when they actually are not. And to be clear I do not deny corruption and dishonest politicians exist. But what I see here is a dishonest attempt to fool the public to garner support for a far left movement. And it is intellectually insulting that these activists think that Americans are stupid enough to fall for their sensationalist ruse.

They certainly havent even garnered enough support though to even get people half interested, so IMO they underestimated the intelligence of Americans. Which is always a bad move.

Last week during the discussion about shooting down drones, people talked about civil disobedience by shooting down drones. I said that is not civil disobedience but this singing surely is civil disobedience. Purely non-violent and political in nature.

These jack-booted anti-democracy individuals (the chief of police and the ruling party in Wisconsin) must have forgotten that the US is the land of the free and the home of the brave, a country where the first amendment allows the clan and racists/West boro baptist idiots/commies and all can speak their mind freely. And in that country they arrest people for singing and congregating in a peaceful sing a long? That seems behavior right out of a racism 101 course.

Arresting 85 year old people for singing is insane IMHO.

Last week during the discussion about shooting down drones, people talked about civil disobedience by shooting down drones. I said that is not civil disobedience but this singing surely is civil disobedience. Purely non-violent and political in nature.

These jack-booted anti-democracy individuals (the chief of police and the ruling party in Wisconsin) must have forgotten that the US is the land of the free and the home of the brave, a country where the first amendment allows the clan and racists/West boro baptist idiots/commies and all can speak their mind freely. And in that country they arrest people for singing and congregating in a peaceful sing a long? That seems behavior right out of a racism 101 course.

Arresting 85 year old people for singing is insane IMHO.

Wouldnt that make the 85 year old people insane since thats what they intended to happen to them?

Wouldnt that make the 85 year old people insane since thats what they intended to happen to them?

They didn't intend to be arrested, they intended to peacefully sing and protest, that because of the fascist/anti democratic government measures they risked being arrested is a risk they were willing to take to protect their first amendment rights.

Only idiots think their rights are unlimited. Freedom of speech is not a blank check to do as you please wherever you please.

Back
Top Bottom