• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why my parents just got arrested in Madison, WI

The fake part would be that they were trying to make things look worse than it really was.
They showed the PD arresting the protesters, and that's what happened. :shrug:
Do you think that they showed something other than what happened?

They were engaging in a planned operation that manipulates the the authorities to make them look like they are acting like a fascist state.
Is there anything which makes you think that they were trying to hide their planning? From what I can tell they seem pretty open about the planning. They readily admit that they have been doing this for some time, that they have previously been warned, and that they have been previously cited.

As I noted earlier, I think fascist is an inaccurate hyperbole in this instance.

But lets be honest about how the movement that is involved in these actions is trying to paint the US Government as a failed system that is a fascist evil empire (as their propaganda goes).
It's funny that they make no mention of that. Are you sure we're talking about the same group. Afaict, they seem to be pretty focused on WI and the governor there.
Support for Solidarity Sing Along | Citizens Supporting SSA & Wisconsin Lawyers' Guild
When: Timeline | Support for Solidarity Sing Along

The fact that they organized a action that concentrated on getting photos and video of elderly people getting arrested when the reason was that these elderly purposely would not divulge their identity shows that its a fake as crap.
Sure not following that line of reasoning. These seem to be real people who're really being arrested.

But what I see here is a dishonest attempt to fool the public to garner support for a far left movement.
To fool the public into thinking that this group has been protesting for two years, received warning and citations, and gotten arrested on occasion?

And it is intellectually insulting that these activists think that Americans are stupid enough to fall for their sensationalist ruse.
Imho, you seem to be the one who has decided that the American public can't automatically see what's going for what it is.

They certainly havent even garnered enough support though to even get people half interested...
Except for the people who willingly show up to get citations and get arrested. Except for the people who read the articles in the local papers, listen to the pieces on the local radio, and watch the segments local TV stations. [And except for the people who are interested enough to write about it on internet discussion boards.] If the local media weren't getting a response from the public, I suspect that they would have stopped covering the issue before it got two years old.

Freedom of speech is not a blank check to do as you please wherever you please.
That's true.

However, it seems that the governor had previously decided that groups of four or less could be cited for not having a permit. Which was summarily struck down while the main lawsuit goes forward.

It's reasonable to ask that protesters get permits. But the governor has let himself get suckered into acting like a dick in public. I suspect that is why the "hundreds' of citations have been dismissed--they were issued on grounds which were not justifiable.

Last week during the discussion about shooting down drones, people talked about civil disobedience by shooting down drones. I said that is not civil disobedience but this singing surely is civil disobedience. Purely non-violent and political in nature.

These jack-booted anti-democracy individuals (the chief of police and the ruling party in Wisconsin) must have forgotten that the US is the land of the free and the home of the brave, a country where the first amendment allows the clan and racists/West boro baptist idiots/commies and all can speak their mind freely. And in that country they arrest people for singing and congregating in a peaceful sing a long? That seems behavior right out of a racism 101 course.

Arresting 85 year old people for singing is insane IMHO.

Agreed - arresting 85 year olds for singing would be insane.

So, why were they arrested?

They showed the PD arresting the protesters, and that's what happened. :shrug:
Do you think that they showed something other than what happened?
I didnt say anything like that.

Is there anything which makes you think that they were trying to hide their planning? From what I can tell they seem pretty open about the planning. They readily admit that they have been doing this for some time, that they have previously been warned, and that they have been previously cited.
Is there anything in what I said that makes you think that I thought that they were actively hiding their plans? I didnt say or imply any type of conspiracy.

As I noted earlier, I think fascist is an inaccurate hyperbole in this instance.
And I agreed.

It's funny that they make no mention of that. Are you sure we're talking about the same group. Afaict, they seem to be pretty focused on WI and the governor there.
Support for Solidarity Sing Along | Citizens Supporting SSA & Wisconsin Lawyers' Guild
When: Timeline | Support for Solidarity Sing Along
They are Occupiers what do you think that they are doing? You dont seriously think that they want to keep Capitalism intact do you? Here lets look at some of these peoples thoughts.

On June 27th on the solidaritysingalong facebook page the page decided it would be a great idea to share the wikipedia page for Emma Goldman.

A large large part of this action is planned by the Wisconsin Lawyers' Guild, which is nothing more than a bunch of far leftists. Hence all the red signs and shirts, and left fist signs.

One of those ticketed, Irving Smith, said the police were respectful as they arrested people. The protesters continued to sing "We Shall Overcome" as they were processed.

"Fascism is taking everything in the state Capitol," Smith said. "They took the Legislature, the governor, the Supreme Court, the [Department of Justice]. The only thing left was the constitution, and they took that away today." Tensions escalate at Wisconsin Capitol as police commence new round of Solidarity Sing Along arrests - Isthmus | The Daily Page

Sure not following that line of reasoning. These seem to be real people who're really being arrested.
Damn dude follow along a little better, I didnt say they were fake people or photos. Yes they are real tools.

To fool the public into thinking that this group has been protesting for two years, received warning and citations, and gotten arrested on occasion?
WTH are you talking about? I said that these far left Groups are trying to use the events that were served on a platter by Walker to manipulate a message to make it appear as if the Government is totally corrupted beyond repair. Seriously quite reading so much BS into my posts.

Imho, you seem to be the one who has decided that the American public can't automatically see what's going for what it is.
Really and what is really going on then? Are saying that we should listen to this far left propaganda like sponges?

Except for the people who willingly show up to get citations and get arrested. Except for the people who read the articles in the local papers, listen to the pieces on the local radio, and watch the segments local TV stations. [And except for the people who are interested enough to write about it on internet discussion boards.] If the local media weren't getting a response from the public, I suspect that they would have stopped covering the issue before it got two years old.
I dont really care about local chatter. I mean of course the locals are talking about people showing up in their public building all the time making a rucas. And I also dont care what leftist echo chambers say about it either. Its been going on long enough that anyone involved knows the game by now.

If I went to a public building and made noise all the time, Im guessing that after a while people would complain. These so called singers are really just a bunch of rude leftists trying to force their wants onto everyone else. The system isnt totally broken they could find better ways of getting a message out against Walker. But they like being in the spotlight because they think that they are gaining support. It was the same with the rest of the occupiers they wore out their 15 teen minutes of fame. They lost but just havenet noticed yet. Instead are sticking with a stupid tactic that will make no points with the voters of Wisconsin. Its all just comical really.

They didn't intend to be arrested, they intended to peacefully sing and protest, that because of the fascist/anti democratic government measures they risked being arrested is a risk they were willing to take to protect their first amendment rights.

Yea, sure they didnt intend to be arrested sure whatever you say.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I don't know of any jurisdiction where the government allows people to take over a public building or the legislature and refuse to vacate when asked. Your freedom of expression does not entitle you to obstruct government operations nor does it entitle you to obstruct other peoples freedom of expression or their right to carry on their lawful business.

Yeah, but they were singing "We Shall Overcome". Nothing could be more moving.

Why My Parents Just Got Arrested in Madison | The Progressive

Not my parents, but that's the title of the article.

I don't see how Wisconsin can get away with what they are doing, or why they are even trying. Their actions fly in the face of what free citizens in a free country are free to do.

So let me get this straight, libs.... state legislators can't open their session with a prayer (something constructive) but it's an outrage when people who are creating a scene are removed from the building (something destructive).

The lack of common sense among libs is astounding.

I didnt say anything like that.
Is there anything in what I said that makes you think that I thought that they were actively hiding their plans? I didnt say or imply any type of conspiracy.
Yes. You said that the affair was "fake" and then you cited their pre-event planning to support your assertion.

They are Occupiers what do you think that they are doing? You dont seriously think that they want to keep Capitalism intact do you?
I would go to their website and pull their comments from there to decide what I thought they were doing.
Is there anything there which discusses destroying capitalism?

On June 27th on the solidaritysingalong facebook page the page decided it would be a great idea to share the wikipedia page for Emma Goldman.
And that is evidence that their stated goals are just a cover for wanting to destroy Capitalism?

Damn dude follow along a little better, I didnt say they were fake people or photos. Yes they are real tools.
What is the "fake" part of the event?

WTH are you talking about?
"Damn dude follow along a little better"

Really and what is really going on then? Are saying that we should listen to this far left propaganda like sponges?
People are protesting via civil disobedience. There's video of it. Seems pretty straight forward, imho.

I dont really care about local chatter.
The "local chatter" seems to be an indicator that the groups has "garnered enough support though to even get people half interested." Ymmv.

I mean of course the locals are talking about people showing up in their public building all the time making a rucas.
But the locals who are doing the talking are only quarter interested, but not half interested? Or what exactly?

So let me get this straight, libs.... state legislators can't open their session with a prayer (something constructive) but it's an outrage when people who are creating a scene are removed from the building (something destructive).
The lack of common sense among libs is astounding.
I have a read several of your posts.
Are you doing the parody thing like Stephen Colbert?

Last week during the discussion about shooting down drones, people talked about civil disobedience by shooting down drones. I said that is not civil disobedience but this singing surely is civil disobedience. Purely non-violent and political in nature.

These jack-booted anti-democracy individuals (the chief of police and the ruling party in Wisconsin) must have forgotten that the US is the land of the free and the home of the brave, a country where the first amendment allows the clan and racists/West boro baptist idiots/commies and all can speak their mind freely. And in that country they arrest people for singing and congregating in a peaceful sing a long? That seems behavior right out of a racism 101 course.

Arresting 85 year old people for singing is insane IMHO.

Why do you care? You're not even American! I find your negative obsession with another country's internal politics to be strange and out of place.

Isn't there a Dutch political board you can go to?

I have a read several of your posts.
Are you doing the parody thing like Stephen Colbert?

Well, yesterday there was a thread about how state legislators were forbidden to pray before legislative sessions.... and the libertarians and liberals were all for that ban. No, we can't have people asking God for help to make good decisions that day, how scandalous.

On the other hand, when people want to disturb the peace and get in the way of legislators doing their jobs, that should be protected at all costs.

I find the whole thing ironic... it just goes to show what people's true motivations are.

Well, yesterday there was a thread about how state legislators were forbidden to pray before legislative sessions.... and the libertarians and liberals were all for that ban. No, we can't have people asking God for help to make good decisions that day, how scandalous.
On the other hand, when people want to disturb the peace and get in the way of legislators doing their jobs, that should be protected at all costs.
I find the whole thing ironic... it just goes to show what people's true motivations are.
That's a long answer to a yes or no question.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I don't know of any jurisdiction where the government allows people to take over a public building or the legislature and refuse to vacate when asked. Your freedom of expression does not entitle you to obstruct government operations nor does it entitle you to obstruct other peoples freedom of expression or their right to carry on their lawful business.

Whose Capitol is it?

Whose Capitol is it?

The peoples of course. But that includes the thousands and thousands who do NOT interrupt it with childish passive aggressive protests along with those who do. It belongs to those who elected the government who work there. It belongs to those who agree with this government as well as those who do not.

I believe if these demonstrations disrupt its function they should be ended. Forcibly if needed.

Whose Capitol is it?

A school belongs to the people in the jurisdiction - do you expect people to be able to march off the street into a classroom, stage an unending protest, and not be asked/forced to leave?

Just because your taxes pay for public facilities, doesn't give you the right to disrupt the normal business activities of that public facility.

You own the White House too - try staging a protest in the Oval Office.

Lol at flag desecration. If you call dropping your flag for the camera desecrating it.

These protest are the adult version of a a child when discovering he has lost a checker game decides to upend the board and ruin the game in disregard of the rules and etiquette befitting a mature person.

Actually its childish nomatter the age.

Lol at flag desecration. If you call dropping your flag for the camera desecrating it.

These protest are the adult version of a a child when discovering he has lost a checker game decides to upend the board and ruin the game in disregard of the rules and etiquette befitting a mature person.

Actually its childish nomatter the age.

The cop stepped on it - or did you miss that bit.

How about the end of the video. That's the part I found chilling.

A school belongs to the people in the jurisdiction - do you expect people to be able to march off the street into a classroom, stage an unending protest, and not be asked/forced to leave?

Just because your taxes pay for public facilities, doesn't give you the right to disrupt the normal business activities of that public facility.

You own the White House too - try staging a protest in the Oval Office.

You've got a point. However, these sort of "bans" are just because they don't want to listen to the people. It's supposed to be "of the people, for the people, by the people."

Yea, sure they didnt intend to be arrested sure whatever you say.

they took the risk of being arrested. Before there were citations which I think I read were usually beaten in court, but now the powers that be escalated their power play and yes, that included the risk of arrest. But to say they went there intending to be arrested seems a bit o.t.t. (over the top).

Why do you care? You're not even American! I find your negative obsession with another country's internal politics to be strange and out of place.

Isn't there a Dutch political board you can go to?

Why do you care? Are you the forum police, cleansing the boards of those unwanted foreigners with an opinion?

If you don't like what I read, don't read it.
I find your negative obsession with me being from another country totally out of place.

I studied US politics in school for my exams and have an acute interest in foreign politics, and guess what, US foreign politics is my number one interest when it comes to foreign politics. Hence my place here. That you dislike me being here doesn't bother me in the slightest because I am not breaking any rules on this forum being here and posting here.

And yes, I am on a Dutch forum which discusses both Dutch, US and worldwide issues.

Why do you care? Are you the forum police, cleansing the boards of those unwanted foreigners with an opinion?

If you don't like what I read, don't read it.
I find your negative obsession with me being from another country totally out of place.

I studied US politics in school for my exams and have an acute interest in foreign politics, and guess what, US foreign politics is my number one interest when it comes to foreign politics. Hence my place here. That you dislike me being here doesn't bother me in the slightest because I am not breaking any rules on this forum being here and posting here.

And yes, I am on a Dutch forum which discusses both Dutch, US and worldwide issues.

There's no problem with being interested in foreign politics, in fact it's a good thing, as long as you treat that culture with respect. The issue with you is that you never have anything positive to say about America, only criticism. It's tired and nobody wants to hear unwanted criticism from a foreigner.

Not every culture is exactly the same as your Dutch culture, that doesn't make them bad or wrong or worse in any way. What you do is grandstand, and it's phoney and misplaced.

If Europe is so great, stay in Europe. Focus on Europe. You do your thing, and leave us alone to do ours.

There's no problem with being interested in foreign politics, in fact it's a good thing, as long as you treat that culture with respect. The issue with you is that you never have anything positive to say about America, only criticism. It's tired and nobody wants to hear unwanted criticism from a foreigner.

Not every culture is exactly the same as your Dutch culture, that doesn't make them bad or wrong or worse in any way. What you do is grandstand, and it's phoney and misplaced.

If Europe is so great, stay in Europe. Focus on Europe. You do your thing, and leave us alone to do ours.

I have plenty positive to say about the US but in discussions people normally talk about issues and not about how great things are.

My best friend in the world is American, I spent years daily posting on a Natalee Holloway website, translating Dutch material etc.

And you should read how we criticize Dutch politics, Dutch politicians and Dutch issues. If there is something we disagree with about the Netherlands we write about it, no matter how negative it sometimes gets.

I do not grandstand and being interested is not phony, having an opinion is not misplaced.

If you do not want to read what I write, simple, do not read it. I do not do anything against the forum rules and that you have a dislike of criticism from foreigners is your problem, not mine and I refuse to make it my problem.

So you can complain all you want, as long as I am following forum rules I would like to think that I am free to post here, regardless of your dislikes.

Back
Top Bottom