• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Men Rule...and Conservatives Will Inherit the Earth

F41

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I thought this article would spark an interesting, possibly a civil debate, or it will find it`s way in the basement.

The Return of Patriarchy

Across the globe, people are choosing to have fewer children or none at all. Governments are desperate to halt the trend, but their influence seems to stop at the bedroom door. Are some societies destined to become extinct? Hardly. It’s more likely that conservatives will inherit the Earth. Like it or not, a growing proportion of the next generation will be born into families who believe that father knows best.

“If we could survive without a wife, citizens of Rome, all of us would do without that nuisance.” So proclaimed the Roman general, statesman, and censor Quintus Caecilius Metellus Macedonicus, in 131 B.C. Still, he went on to plead, falling birthrates required that Roman men fulfill their duty to reproduce, no matter how irritating Roman women might have become. “Since nature has so decreed that we cannot manage comfortably with them, nor live in any way without them, we must plan for our lasting preservation rather than for our temporary pleasure.”

i believe in tranquility said:
so what are you debating?
Why men rule and Conservatives will inherit the earth and I know you have had no time to read the full article because I just posted and found you replied to quick.

The Phoenix. Good topic. But I think societies are cyclic.

In the 50's we had a male dominated society. Man worked, women stayed at home and raised children, which were not touched by men until they could talk and potty by themselves and help mow the lawn.:lol:

Women were not allowed to establish credit on their own. Everything had to be put in the man's name. Women kept house and tended to Church auxilliary groups.

Then came the 1960's. SWING!!!:mrgreen:

Then came religious radical fundamentalists and here we are again. Except women working seems to be acceptable, as there are not a lot of good paying jobs as there were which allowed dad to just work and mom to stay home while being able to afford a good vacation during the summer.

So, I think conservatives (which was the government of the 1950') do spurn a stagnation in our society by its very nature; conservatives hate change.

Change in inevitable. The human mind is ever processing and imagining so staying in one thought or time is impossible.

The Human races way of life has changed at a pace like no other in history over the past 50 years. It is interesting to see where we will be in the next 50 years.

But I think societies are cyclic.
I find society to move in a "spiral" direction. Because the problem with a circle is there is no start/stop, it is infinite and never-ending. Because I very much doubt we will experience a cave-man society again, and some things do get repetitive, but there are always changes each time.

And as you stated that the Christain fundamentalists are now bascially in power, as they were 50 years ago, we are seeing some policies turning backwards, but they are still very different than 50 years ago, so if it moved in a circle, we would keep changing from a tribal to a feudal to a capitalistic society over and over, infinite times, and always the same. And as I said, it is highly doubtful and improbable that a feudalistic or tribal society will occur again.
Change in inevitable
I fully agree, conservatives and reactionaries don't understand that. In order to perfect or "get better", you must evolve. Staying in one place and doing nothing achieves nothing, except that you will soon find yourselves unable to cope with new situations. Evolution requires change, it is change. Society requires constant change, a fact right-wingers tend to ignore.

Last edited:
Comrade Brian said:
I fully agree, conservatives and reactionaries don't understand that.

Not necessarily true. There's change for the better and change for the worse and what's better or worse is only a matter of individual perception. Health care is a prime example. Both sides want reform (conservatives wanting a more market based system and liberals seeking government funded health care) and both sides see their view as change for the better and their opponents' view as change for the worse.

Comrade Brian said:
In order to perfect or "get better", you must evolve. Staying in one place and doing nothing achieves nothing, except that you will soon find yourselves unable to cope with new situations. Evolution requires change, it is change. Society requires constant change, a fact right-wingers tend to ignore.

"Change" is an extremely broad term so I guess it depends on what type of change we're talking about.

"Change" is an extremely broad term so I guess it depends on what type of change we're talking about.
OK I'll clarify that, change as in something that hasn't been seen or done before, take for instance reactionary change is backwardness, that is not the change I'm referring to, I'm referring to "new change.
Health care is a prime example. Both sides want reform (conservatives wanting a more market based system and liberals seeking government funded health care) and both sides see their view as change for the better and their opponents' view as change for the worse.
Poor example, "health care" is already primarily based on the markets, so cons. don't want anything to change, also the definition of a conservative is one who is opposed to any change(even reactionary, though that seems to be changing).

Back
Top Bottom