• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Labor Organizing Is a Civil Right—and Why Ann Coulter Is Wrong

randel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Why Labor Organizing Is a Civil Right

[h=1]Why Labor Organizing Is a Civil Right—and Why Ann Coulter Is Wrong[/h] March 4, 2012, 6:39 pm
By Richard Kahlenberg
On Thursday, I published an op-ed in The New York Times with Moshe Marvit, a labor and job discrimination attorney, arguing that we should amend the Civil Rights Act to outlaw discrimination against workers trying to organize a union. Under current labor laws, dismissing an employee for union activities is technically illegal, but the law is routinely broken because the penalties are so weak.

snip

Labor and civil rights leaders have generally been supportive. In the days since publication of the op-ed, Richard Trumka, the president of the AFL-CIO, endorsed the concept of amending the Civil Rights Act to protect the fundamental right of labor organizing.

snip

But conservative opponents of civil rights and labor have vigorously denounced the idea. For example, commentator Ann Coulter argued on FOX Business that Democrats “have forgotten what the purpose of the Civil Rights Act was.” She suggested, “civil rights is for blacks,”...

snip

So is it proper to include labor organizing as a civil right? The 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights declared that “everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.” And an ongoing case—involving Pomona College in Claremont, Calif.—illustrates the strong connection between labor and people of color in modern times.

snip

sounds good...civil rights laws are stronger

No. Most perposterous idea I have read today. Labor is protected through the laws of the U.S. We need no special civil right for labor unions. They are and should remain private entities. Labor is permitted to organize. Companies should be permitted to use labor union or not.

this little beauty ties in with the thread a bit

Warehouse workers say abuses are systemic - Business - US business - msnbc.com

As a warehouse worker in the Inland Empire region of Southern California, the nation’s biggest distribution hub for consumer goods, Jorge Soto handles shipments for retail giant Walmart every day.

But Soto, who works for a subcontractor, claims that along with routine jobs such as unloading trucks, he also has been ordered to perform an illegal task: falsifying employees’ time sheets to cheat them out of getting the minimum wage.

snip

An economic juggernaut in the arid flatlands east of Los Angeles that employs about 100,000 people, the Inland Empire warehouses are a staging point for Apple computers, Gerber baby clothes, Polo apparel and other brand-name imports. They handle goods from Asia that come through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, to be distributed around the U.S.

According to court documents and interviews with workers:

Crew leaders such as Soto were under orders at some warehouses to force workers to sign blank time sheets, a tactic that made it easier to cheat employees out of their rightful pay.

snip

High heat in the warehouses and constant pressure for speed created safety problems. These and other issues triggered an investigation that led the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, in January to accuse four warehouses of more than 60 workplace safety violations and to seek $256,445 in penalties.
Many workers, classified as temporaries despite years of service, said they were threatened with being blackballed and never being hired again if they raised questions about their pay or took part in protest or unionizing efforts. Labor leaders, who announced plans in 2007 to recruit the warehouse employees, say that the intimidation and perpetual job insecurity are key reasons why their “Warehouse Workers United” campaign has failed to unionize any workers.

snip

Looking to tap into discontent among warehouse workers, Change to Win, a national coalition of unions with about five million members, in 2007 launched a recruiting effort in the Inland Empire. It founded Warehouse Workers United, an organization advocating for higher wages, ending the practice of temporary employment and securing affordable health care coverage.

Led by activist unions such as the Service Employees International Union, Change to Win broke away from the AFL-CIO labor federation seven years ago to more aggressively recruit members. After more than four years, however, its campaign among the Inland Empire warehouse workers has failed to create any new union locals, or even bring about a single union representation election.

Union officials say warehouse employers have shifted from permanent workers to temporary employees largely to make people so fearful of losing their jobs that they won’t risk being identified as union activists.

snip

No. Most perposterous idea I have read today. Labor is protected through the laws of the U.S. We need no special civil right for labor unions. They are and should remain private entities. Labor is permitted to organize. Companies should be permitted to use labor union or not.
this is the best idea i have read today....if labor laws were tougher, and the fines/penalties for violations actually meaningful, and would actually deter a company from violating these laws, i might be able to see it from your point of view...personal experience has shown me that the current set of labor laws, as the article states, are weak, and don't deter anyone from violating them.

this little beauty ties in with the thread a bit

Warehouse workers say abuses are systemic - Business - US business - msnbc.com

As a warehouse worker in the Inland Empire region of Southern California, the nation’s biggest distribution hub for consumer goods, Jorge Soto handles shipments for retail giant Walmart every day.

But Soto, who works for a subcontractor, claims that along with routine jobs such as unloading trucks, he also has been ordered to perform an illegal task: falsifying employees’ time sheets to cheat them out of getting the minimum wage.

snip

An economic juggernaut in the arid flatlands east of Los Angeles that employs about 100,000 people, the Inland Empire warehouses are a staging point for Apple computers, Gerber baby clothes, Polo apparel and other brand-name imports. They handle goods from Asia that come through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, to be distributed around the U.S.

According to court documents and interviews with workers:

Crew leaders such as Soto were under orders at some warehouses to force workers to sign blank time sheets, a tactic that made it easier to cheat employees out of their rightful pay.

snip

High heat in the warehouses and constant pressure for speed created safety problems. These and other issues triggered an investigation that led the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, in January to accuse four warehouses of more than 60 workplace safety violations and to seek $256,445 in penalties.
Many workers, classified as temporaries despite years of service, said they were threatened with being blackballed and never being hired again if they raised questions about their pay or took part in protest or unionizing efforts. Labor leaders, who announced plans in 2007 to recruit the warehouse employees, say that the intimidation and perpetual job insecurity are key reasons why their “Warehouse Workers United” campaign has failed to unionize any workers.

snip

Looking to tap into discontent among warehouse workers, Change to Win, a national coalition of unions with about five million members, in 2007 launched a recruiting effort in the Inland Empire. It founded Warehouse Workers United, an organization advocating for higher wages, ending the practice of temporary employment and securing affordable health care coverage.

Led by activist unions such as the Service Employees International Union, Change to Win broke away from the AFL-CIO labor federation seven years ago to more aggressively recruit members. After more than four years, however, its campaign among the Inland Empire warehouse workers has failed to create any new union locals, or even bring about a single union representation election.

Union officials say warehouse employers have shifted from permanent workers to temporary employees largely to make people so fearful of losing their jobs that they won’t risk being identified as union activists.

snip

There are existing laws to deal with all of this.

"Civil rights" legislation protect certain immutable minority classes from discrimination. Being a "laborer" is not something you're born with. It's something you choose to do.

This is just an attempted power grab. Of COURSE Big Labor is "supportive" of it.

I wouldn't say that we have the right to form Unions and join existing Unions, that have mandatory dues for all workers regardless of their willingnes to pay such dues.

however, I think we DO have the right to join with other like-minded employees, and bargain collectively for a joint contract that benefits us all. Looks like Freedom of Speech & Association to me.

and yes, I think folks who hate Unions and the idea of collective bargaining, shouldnt be forced to pay dues or be union members. however, if you choose to opt out, you should lose ALL benefits achieved by the Union, including health benefits, dental, vacation, sick leave, over time, grievance rights, etc.

....yeah, like anyone is gonna opt out of those, just for a measily $30 a pay check in dues. ;)

Last edited:
People certainly have a right to form a union. Business has an equal right to decide that they will not hire those belonging to that union.

Funny how people are claiming that workers have a right to unionize but support closed shops.A right is implied that you have a choice.No one should be forced to join a union as a condition of getting a job.

Funny how people are claiming that workers have a right to unionize but support closed shops.A right is implied that you have a choice.No one should be forced to join a union as a condition of getting a job.
no one is forced to do anything, when you apply for a job, and it is a union shop, you are made aware right away that it is a union shop, and are asked if you have a problem with this....if offered a job, and you accept, obviously, you don't have a problem with the union. you can always say no thank you, and move on to find a non union shop to your liking.

no one is forced to do anything, when you apply for a job, and it is a union shop, you are made aware right away that it is a union shop, and are asked if you have a problem with this....if offered a job, and you accept, obviously, you don't have a problem with the union. you can always say no thank you, and move on to find a non union shop to your liking.

i am against anyone being forced to pay union dues.

i am against anyone being forced to pay union dues.
then you shouldnt be able to enjoy the wages and benefits, or representation, that those union dues pay for. it is like me buying a house next door to you, and instead of calling the light company to turn my power on, i just run an extension cord over to your place and plug it in...i enjoy the benefits, BUT YOU PAY THE BILL.

this is the best idea i have read today....if labor laws were tougher, and the fines/penalties for violations actually meaningful, and would actually deter a company from violating these laws, i might be able to see it from your point of view...personal experience has shown me that the current set of labor laws, as the article states, are weak, and don't deter anyone from violating them.

Would it would do, is effectively take away a worker's right not to join a union.

That's got facism written all over it.

Would it would do, is effectively take away a worker's right not to join a union.

That's got facism written all over it.
no one is forced to join a union...you know this, i know this, why do you pretend otherwise?

And here we go again, with more union rights crap.

Entities don't have rights, individuals do. Trying to establish federal laws supporting so called union rights is every bit as heinous as stating that corporations are people.

no one is forced to join a union...you know this, i know this, why do you pretend otherwise?

If there is a closed union shop, say....Sikorsky Helicopter....in a little town...which we'll call Shelton, CT....and it's just about the only darn game in town...your choices are, work there (join the union), move, or starve to death.

If there is a closed union shop, say....Sikorsky Helicopter....in a little town...which we'll call Shelton, CT....and it's just about the only darn game in town...your choices are, work there (join the union), move, or starve to death.
but, you have a choice, and are not forced to accept a job with conditions you find unacceptable..

If you make it a law, people will be forced to join unions. That's the point of Card Check.

If you make it a law, people will be forced to join unions. That's the point of Card Check.

No it is not. Where do you get this absurd claim from?

perhaps you should read up on card check....if you apply to a job that is unionized, you are made aware of this upfront....if offered a job, you are aware that it is unionized, you have a choice, you are aware that it is union, you can either accept the job, or not..no one is forcing you...you can always try your luck at a non union down the street...odds are, if you are applying and accept a union job, you do it for the better pay and benefits...

This is an excellent idea and one that is sorely needed at a time in the USA when the right wing has waged war on unions and has tried to destroy them through the work of organizations like ALEC.

This is an idea whose time has come. If one does not want to be in a union, there are vastly more non union employers for them to select from than union shops. It is the union person who is disadvantaged in the marketplace.

This is an excellent idea and one that is sorely needed at a time in the USA when the right wing has waged war on unions and has tried to destroy them through the work of organizations like ALEC.

This is an idea whose time has come. If one does not want to be in a union, there are vastly more non union employers for them to select from than union shops. It is the union person who is disadvantaged in the marketplace.
quoted for truth

There are many who harbor lots of negativity - even outright hate - for the labor movement. My prayer for them....... my hope for them ..... my wish for them..... is that sometime in their life, soon, they will know the glory and wonder of being in a labor union and they will repent for the error of all their harsh statements when they lived in a state of darkness and ignorance. Jesus, in his dying breath, said forgive them Father for they know not what they do. Amen.

And here we go again, with more union rights crap.

Entities don't have rights, individuals do. Trying to establish federal laws supporting so called union rights is every bit as heinous as stating that corporations are people.

What's wrong with unions? Our country peaked economically when our union strength was at its highest. When union busting started being more successful our economy went south as did the union membership.

Back
Top Bottom