• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why I've gone from supporting Bernie Sanders to supporting Hillary Clinton

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
First things first this will be the first and last time I mention Donald Trump. Instead I'll explain why I believe Hillary is best suited to carry on the vision Bernie talked about over the course of his campaign. :peace

First and foremost, I vigorously supported Bernie throughout the entire primary season when he was competing against Hillary Clinton. I believed and still believe him to be the stronger, more progressive, more trustworthy candidate. I think Bernie ran an amazing campaign that will likely change the democratic party and American politics in general forever. But the facts remain, Hillary Clinton has won the democratic party's nomination and despite all the controversy she won it fair and square. Unlike a fair number of my fellow Sanders supporters I don't plan on voting for him as a write in or voting for Jill Stein (even though I do like some of her ideas) no I will do what Bernie himself will do and vote for Hillary Clinton.

Bernie endorsed Hillary yesterday and I fall on the half of Sanders supporters that are perfectly satisfied with it. I'm actually hoping he'll be her VP pick but I'm aware that is extremely unlikely. I trust Bernie when he says that they came together to create one of the most progressive platforms ever and I'm excited to see them fight for it in the coming years. Bernie's endorsement doesn't come as a huge shock to me because he and Hillary were never that different and I believe even during the worst of their fighting they had tremendous respect for each other. I think Hillary will carry on Bernie's vision for the most part and here's why

Hillary and Bernie were never that far off each other as candidates. They don't really have any major differences I'd describe Hillary as a sort of 'diet Bernie' if you will. Bernie wanted to institute free college for all where as Hillary wants to make tuition free for families earning less then $125,000 per year. Bernie wanted public funding of elections Hillary wants a donor matching system. So we may not get the full might of Bernie's political revolution but we will make some progress. and we may not have to march on Washington a million strong like Bernie once said he'd like us to do.

They both want to raise the minimum wage, expand voting rights, social security and welfare, close the income gap the wage gap, and most importantly in my opinion INVEST EDUCATION! Bernie may have had stronger views in a few of these areas but Clinton will fight for largely the same things.

In general they are actually fairly similar candidates and I think Hillary Clinton will make an excellent 45th president of the united states and Bernie Sanders can continue to do good work in the senate. So on November 8th I will be voting for Hillary Rodham Clinton, for the office of President of the United States of America

your thoughts?

If you are voting for Hillary because you believe she is better than Trump and you play the lesser of two evils game that most people do, I can understand that. But if you think she is going to carry on Bernie's vision I think you are deluding yourself. She moved to the left on those issues you mentioned because Bernie forced her to. She is saying what she had to in order to win. I would be highly surprised if she actually fights for those things once in office. If she proves me wrong then great.

My thoughts: I would vote for almost anyone before Hillary Clinton. I was #NeverTrump until considering what a Hillary Clinton presidency would be like.

I've gone from supporting Bernie; to realizing Bernie wouldn't win, so I looked at Trump; to finally realizing I'm stuck with Hillary. That's, stuck! Really S-T-U-C-K!

I was just getting to the point where I though just maybe I might be able to give Trump a shot, but then he kept moving more Right, more conservative, and more just plain obnoxious & crazy.

My vote is not just against trump, but very much so against the GOP even more-so. I earlier thought I might be able to hold my noise tight from the stench and vote for Trump, but I really don't think there is anyway I could vote GOP even as terrible as HRC is. Maybe if Trump was something super-fantastic, but he's not!

Last edited:
First things first this will be the first and last time I mention Donald Trump. Instead I'll explain why I believe Hillary is best suited to carry on the vision Bernie talked about over the course of his campaign. :peace

First and foremost, I vigorously supported Bernie throughout the entire primary season when he was competing against Hillary Clinton. I believed and still believe him to be the stronger, more progressive, more trustworthy candidate. I think Bernie ran an amazing campaign that will likely change the democratic party and American politics in general forever. But the facts remain, Hillary Clinton has won the democratic party's nomination and despite all the controversy she won it fair and square. Unlike a fair number of my fellow Sanders supporters I don't plan on voting for him as a write in or voting for Jill Stein (even though I do like some of her ideas) no I will do what Bernie himself will do and vote for Hillary Clinton.

Bernie endorsed Hillary yesterday and I fall on the half of Sanders supporters that are perfectly satisfied with it. I'm actually hoping he'll be her VP pick but I'm aware that is extremely unlikely. I trust Bernie when he says that they came together to create one of the most progressive platforms ever and I'm excited to see them fight for it in the coming years. Bernie's endorsement doesn't come as a huge shock to me because he and Hillary were never that different and I believe even during the worst of their fighting they had tremendous respect for each other. I think Hillary will carry on Bernie's vision for the most part and here's why

Hillary and Bernie were never that far off each other as candidates. They don't really have any major differences I'd describe Hillary as a sort of 'diet Bernie' if you will. Bernie wanted to institute free college for all where as Hillary wants to make tuition free for families earning less then $125,000 per year. Bernie wanted public funding of elections Hillary wants a donor matching system. So we may not get the full might of Bernie's political revolution but we will make some progress. and we may not have to march on Washington a million strong like Bernie once said he'd like us to do.

They both want to raise the minimum wage, expand voting rights, social security and welfare, close the income gap the wage gap, and most importantly in my opinion INVEST EDUCATION! Bernie may have had stronger views in a few of these areas but Clinton will fight for largely the same things.

In general they are actually fairly similar candidates and I think Hillary Clinton will make an excellent 45th president of the united states and Bernie Sanders can continue to do good work in the senate. So on November 8th I will be voting for Hillary Rodham Clinton, for the office of President of the United States of America

your thoughts?

Like when Bernie bit the dust, what other candidate was a "liberal" going to support? Is your thread supposed to be some sort of a revelation that we couldn't have figured out before you revealed it?

your thoughts?

Wow, I guess 19+ trillion in debt on an 18 trillion dollar economy isn't enough for you. You seem to buy the rhetoric and ignore the consequences of that rhetoric. Basic civics is also ignored by most on the left. Where does all this "free" stuff come from? Do you honestly believe those evil rich people have enough money to meet the liberal spending appetite?

I get extremely frustrated when I see posts from people like you who always buy the rhetoric but ignore the actual resume. Please tell me what accomplishments that Hillary has generated and how many jobs she has created in that resume of hers?

Trump was never my candidate but Trump has dealt with the private sector economy, actually had a budget to manage, actually created jobs, made his fortune in the private sector none of which Hillary has ever done. How anyone can support the habitual liar Hillary is beyond comprehension.

Wow, I guess 19+ trillion in debt on an 18 trillion dollar economy isn't enough for you. You seem to buy the rhetoric and ignore the consequences of that rhetoric. Basic civics is also ignored by most on the left. Where does all this "free" stuff come from? Do you honestly believe those evil rich people have enough money to meet the liberal spending appetite?

I get extremely frustrated when I see posts from people like you who always buy the rhetoric but ignore the actual resume. Please tell me what accomplishments that Hillary has generated and how many jobs she has created in that resume of hers?

Trump was never my candidate but Trump has dealt with the private sector economy, actually had a budget to manage, actually created jobs, made his fortune in the private sector none of which Hillary has ever done. How anyone can support the habitual liar Hillary is beyond comprehension.

All great points and right on. But, the left will tell you that businesses don't create jobs, the government and demand from the 99% create jobs (apparently the one percent don't want anything). Liberals would ultimately like to squash the entire private sector and all jobs would come from the government and therefore, everyone would have a job. There would be no unemployment and everyone would be making a living wage. McDonalds would be owned by the government and their employees would be government employees. And, we wouldn't have to worry about the deficit or the debt because it isn't real debt and Uncle Sam has this printing press that can print all the money we want.

All great points and right on. But, the left will tell you that businesses don't create jobs, the government and demand from the 99% create jobs (apparently the one percent don't want anything). Liberals would ultimately like to squash the entire private sector and all jobs would come from the government and therefore, everyone would have a job. There would be no unemployment and everyone would be making a living wage. McDonalds would be owned by the government and their employees would be government employees. And, we wouldn't have to worry about the deficit or the debt because it isn't real debt and Uncle Sam has this printing press that can print all the money we want.

Exactly, total ignorance of economics and even basic finance. The left has no concept as to the value of money and what happens when the printing presses create money or any idea what anything costs and who actually pays for it. What is going on in Europe where most of the GDP comes from govt. spending is totally ignored as are the high taxes and cost of living. That so called liberal utopia doesn't exist and previous groups of liberals never spent the money wisely but this group of liberals will. Don't have any idea what creates this kind of loyalty and ignorance of reality.

Exactly, total ignorance of economics and even basic finance. The left has no concept as to the value of money and what happens when the printing presses create money or any idea what anything costs and who actually pays for it. What is going on in Europe where most of the GDP comes from govt. spending is totally ignored as are the high taxes and cost of living. That so called liberal utopia doesn't exist and previous groups of liberals never spent the money wisely but this group of liberals will. Don't have any idea what creates this kind of loyalty and ignorance of reality.

That pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow. Even though it seems to keep moving every time we chase after it we can still see it and one day we will catch up to it and then we will have Utopia.

Back
Top Bottom