• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why isn't american intrested in Soccer/real fotball?

Bergslagstroll

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why isn't americans intrested in Soccer/real fotball?

Bergslagstroll said:
There's probably some intricate explanation about culture and society, but I'll just go with the obvious...

Lack of offense...

As a child I played soccer. Jr. football(American) wasn't available to me at the time. I would have rather played football. Soccer is boring. It is due to a lack of offense. 90 minutes of "keep away" is not that thrilling. It may have something to do with the fact that our beer isn't as strong as the rest of the world's. Watching the fans riot is much more fun.

It's become rather popular these days, just not as a spectator sport.

cnredd said:
There's probably some intricate explanation about culture and society, but I'll just go with the obvious...

Lack of offense...

Well culture shouldn't be a big problem because fotball is a universal sport that works in totally diffrent cultures.

Maybee it is mostly history and bias that keep the sport out. Because offensivness just depends on the strategy and that team that meets. You should really watch a game between two Brazilian teams.

I think that football (soccer) is a fantastic sport. Because like grid iron you can have all types of tactics. It is true that Italian, German, and Spanish teams can play a defensive games, or tactics that are about possesion, and punishing your opponent on the counter attack.

In contrast British teams and Irish teams, tend to show a game that is all about attack.

If you want to see frantic football, just watch a Rangers V Celtic match, in the Scottish football. Absolutely intense game, amazing atmosphere.

But I would suggest that the U.S is actually quite interested in soccer. You guys have a national team that is technically very good, and the players have real talent. And they've got real guts to. I reckon that it is very realistic that the U.S.A could win a World Cup in the next decade. Why not?

As for football, I support Manchester United, all the way!. I also have soft spots for Glasgow Rangers, because I was born there. And i take a real interest in Melbourne Victory, because they are the closest soccer team to Geelong. And in Geelong we don't have a soccer team.

Is this a real question? Best battle that ever happened in soccar history is when that one guy poked the other guy in the eye. Dude dropped to the ground quick like. Receivers and defensive backs have better wars every play. American football players wear helmets and still get knocked out. I'd better stop now. I feel a rant coming on.

Originally posted by Bergslagstroll
You've got to be kidding! Have you seen the size of soccer-moms lately?

teacher said:
Is this a real question? Best battle that ever happened in soccar history is when that one guy poked the other guy in the eye. Dude dropped to the ground quick like. Receivers and defensive backs have better wars every play. American football players wear helmets and still get knocked out. I'd better stop now. I feel a rant coming on.

If you like violence why don't you go to a boxing game that will also skip the protection and the running? No guess you americans just like violences in team sport and I actually seen some american football and think it's ok. But you can't say that football can't be a tough sport, just watch to scotish team meet. Like a perfect glide tackle or a lost nickduell can really hurt even if it's not that direct as american football violence.

To Bill O'Reilly: But have you seen alot of threads on this forum about fridays lottery of groups to the world cup and USA tough group? No it's cool that it's a growing sport and you got a pretty good nationalteam. But still I don't think you americans care that much about football in general.

We're out there Bergs, I'm a soccer fan, just look at my avatar . . Chicago FIRE!!!!!

I played football (real American football) all through my school years and still love the game and watch my BEARS every Sunday. But I always had a place for soccer growing up. Since moving to Chicago in Dec 1999, I've been a huge soccer fan and season ticket holder for the Chicago Fire of MLS. With the US National Team making their 5th staright World Cup and a growing top flight league, soccer will get bigger here. Will it surpass the NFL, College Football, Major League Baseball, NBA, or College Basketball, probably not. We are Americans and we have our sports history after all, but soccer can be in the top 6 or 7 sports in this country and still be a heck of a lot bigger than most traditional soccer countries given the size of our market.

Here's some photos of Section8Chicago, the hard core supporters section where I stand and sing through the entire match. BTW, The Fire are building a Soccer Specific Stadium for their matches, opening next season. By 2008, MLS will have 10 teams, maybe 12 teams playing in soccer-only stadiums.

pg5_7.jpg

pg5_14.jpg

pg5_61.jpg

pg5_68.jpg

Last edited:
And here's a few more pics of Section8Chicago . . .GO FIRE!!!!!

pg5_66.jpg

pg5_63.jpg

pg5_33.jpg

pg5_54.jpg

That's soccer American style . . .well, Chicago style. Not too different from what you see in Europe or Latin America.

Go FIRE!!!!!

Sincerely,
FireUltra98

Last edited:
I've played real football, American football for 7 years and have the stiff joints and screwed up knees to prove it. I've also payed soccer on a recreational team for 6 years, wearing my knee braces and taped ankles (from my "real" football injuries) everytime I take the pitch (I'm almost more steel than bone when I'me out there). Comparing football to soccer is like comparing football to baseball, they don't match up. Each sport has its own level of difficulty, those who can't undertand American football and the strategy and toughness it takes to be good are ignorant to the greatness that is the grid iron. For those who think soccer is just keep away, they're also ignorant. They're both football, they both rock. BTW, my nickname on my soccer team is, "linebacker" as I'm the only former football player on the field.

FireUltra 98 said:
I've played real football, American football for 7 years and have the stiff joints and screwed up knees to prove it. I've also payed soccer on a recreational team for 6 years, wearing my knee braces and taped ankles (from my "real" football injuries) everytime I take the pitch (I'm almost more steel than bone when I'me out there). Comparing football to soccer is like comparing football to baseball, they don't match up. Each sport has its own level of difficulty, those who can't undertand American football and the strategy and toughness it takes to be good are ignorant to the greatness that is the grid iron. For those who think soccer is just keep away, they're also ignorant. They're both football, they both rock. BTW, my nickname on my soccer team is, "linebacker" as I'm the only former football player on the field.

I played soccer and american football. I called it keep away. I am not ignorant. I played soccer more years (7) than football. I loved to slide tackle. I could run all day long. That said, It bores me to tears to watch it. I could say the same for golf, tennis, bowling, most baseball games, and darts. I play all of those sports. Some sports are better played than watched.

Football as in the NFL is an American tradition. Soccer (as in football) is quite the opposite. In Europe football refers to soccer. This is an American forum right? Yes. It is.

I've actually played soccer in sanctioned events... I wasn't too great. Too much running around... not enough action.

I like the NFL because it is not only a more defined form of strategical and tactical competition.... it does actually involve a type of martial interaction.

Don't get me wrong here.... I'll be the first to admit that NFL players are panzies when compared to Rugby or Hockey, per se....... but soccer (i.e. the "other" football)..... I don't think Americans are nearly as interested.

galenrox said:
One of my buddies was born and raised in England, and he's always ranting and raving about "football", and how great of a sport it is, I say bullcrap. If you're able to do it for an hour straight, then it's simply not hard enough. REAL football is a sport, soccer is a waste of time, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
If you're able to do it for an hour straight, you are in incredible shape. That's another way to look at it. Soccer sure wasn't a waste of time for me growing up and learning how to be a part of a team, working with others, and developing friendships.

It's Boring..... Sorry .. wish there was a better reason....:rofl

Bergslagstroll said:

Why are not the Asians and Europeans more interested in football ??

Baseball has been accepted throughout the civilized world, is, IMO, becoming very international..
Football could be the same way, I suspect it has to overcome bias and prejudice..

I can't believe what I'm reading.

Football (Soccer) is far and away the most popular sport on the planet except in the eyes of maybe eskimo's and Americans. Weird!

Anyway, why do you call your version football when you play it predominantly your hands?

MCFC Rule!

Mancunian said:
Anyway, why do you call your version football when you play it predominantly your hands?

Because "handball" was taken. Why is water polo called by that name? Shouldn't it be water soccer or water football? Where's the horses?

I concede to the fact that soccer is a sport that is much more appreciated by the international community. Here in the US the belief sytem, as of late, relates to aggression more so than strategy. Soccer is a more defined form of strategy... while football, in my opinion... is much more of a physical game.

Certainly football (US) requires strategy but it is a game that is based upon ballistic physical interaction. Soccer is also a physical game but it is much more based on tactical and strategic interaction.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a generated American and I would prefer to watch American football over soccer anyday. It's quite simply more entertaining.

Conflict said:
I concede to the fact that soccer is a sport that is much more appreciated by the international community. Here in the US the belief sytem, as of late, relates to aggression more so than strategy. Soccer is a more defined form of strategy... while football, in my opinion... is much more of a physical game.

Certainly football (US) requires strategy but it is a game that is based upon ballistic physical interaction. Soccer is also a physical game but it is much more based on tactical and strategic interaction.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a generated American and I would prefer to watch American football over soccer anyday. It's quite simply more entertaining.

I have to disagree about soccer being more strategic. In US football 22 players are involved in every single play directly. This is not the case in soccer. If the ball is in one end of the field, the opposite end is irrelevant. The goal-keeper can stand on his head for all that it matters.

independent_thinker2002 said:
I have to disagree about soccer being more strategic. In US football 22 players are involved in every single play directly. This is not the case in soccer. If the ball is in one end of the field, the opposite end is irrelevant. The goal-keeper can stand on his head for all that it matters.

Yes.. but there are no goal keepers in the NFL. There isn't a trilateral coverage that stands by the goal-line. I am not defending "Foooootbull" by any means. I am just stating that it is a game that is more dependent upon a mental regimen (strategy) than a coercive physical regimen (force). It's always more fun to watch the conflict of force! No doubt about it. That's why I prefer the NFL. It has less strategy and more force (i.e. offense).

I'm an American who runs marathons. I've always enjoyed any type of endurance sports, so soccer has its merits with me. I make fun of football players who get taken out when they run for 50-60 yards because they are breathing so damn hard they cant stand up straight. Yeah, I know they have a few lbs. of gear on but some soccer players stay in the game and run for the whole 90 minutes up and down the field. Probably averaging 3-4 miles easy.

Back
Top Bottom