• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why isn't american intrested in Soccer/real fotball?

ddoyle00 said:
I'm an American who runs marathons. I've always enjoyed any type of endurance sports, so soccer has its merits with me. I make fun of football players who get taken out when they run for 50-60 yards because they are breathing so damn hard they cant stand up straight. Yeah, I know they have a few lbs. of gear on but some soccer players stay in the game and run for the whole 90 minutes up and down the field. Probably averaging 3-4 miles easy.

As the football player would probably laff at you as your spine got snapped on the first end around or catch up the middle. Running, running fast, running fast, while avoiding others intent on hitting you, Looking for the blockers while doing all that and then finding the holes created by the defense. It's usually a little more involved then just a simple 60 yard jog

Of course those guys aren't getting hammered by 350 - 400lbs monsters in cleates every 90 seconds while being driven into frozen turf or astro turf over cement. There kicking a ball around a field for 90 minutes with an occasional trip (tackle).

Hey man...I'm not defending soccer. I inherently hate all things European which includes soccer. If I could choose, I would rather watch football 5 times out of 5. From a runners perspective, I can relate to soccer better than I can football, that all. You commented on my Euro bash in the flame forum so you know how I feel.

Give me a second to stay true to form...........Screw soccer and its panty waisted, limp wristed and effeminate form of male bonding. Leave it to Europe to take a sport with promise and turn it into something queer.

ddoyle00 said:
Hey man...I'm not defending soccer. I inherently hate all things European which includes soccer. If I could choose, I would rather watch football 5 times out of 5. From a runners perspective, I can relate to soccer better than I can football, that all. You commented on my Euro bash in the flame forum so you know how I feel.

Give me a second to stay true to form...........Screw soccer and its panty waisted, limp wristed and effeminate form of male bonding. Leave it to Europe to take a sport with promise and turn it into something queer.

I definetly understand the conditioning aspects of soccer. I know I couldn't run that far or that much without my heart exploding in my chest and my eyes bleeding.....lol What I meant was no matter what kind of shape your in it does no good if you can't get to that position to make the 60 yard run....:rofl hey how often do you actually get to see 400lb guys running just as a general rule.................

There are different types of "in-shape". Sprinters are in shape. They couldn't come close to beating marathon runners though, and vice versa. It's just like the question of what is the fastest land animal in the world, you have to know how far they are running before you can answer. Cheetahs for sprinting, Ostriches for marathons.

independent_thinker2002 said:
There are different types of "in-shape". Sprinters are in shape. They couldn't come close to beating marathon runners though, and vice versa. It's just like the question of what is the fastest land animal in the world, you have to know how far they are running before you can answer. Cheetahs for sprinting, Ostriches for marathons.

That's a very good point...

Some people favor endurance, others strategy, but most of us Americans like our Offense!

THere is also a difference between being involved in a sport and watching it. I played soccer in High-School and my sophomore year in college.. I thougt it was a fun game to play... at least once I was able to Breathe. However it is, without a doubt, one of the most boring spectator sports on the planet.

I'm an avid football(US) fan. Without a doubt. I enjoy playing soccer but I don't enjoy watching it.

Conflict said:
That's a very good point...

Some people favor endurance, others strategy, but most of us Americans like our Offense!

THere is also a difference between being involved in a sport and watching it. I played soccer in High-School and my sophomore year in college.. I thougt it was a fun game to play... at least once I was able to Breathe. However it is, without a doubt, one of the most boring spectator sports on the planet.

I'm an avid football(US) fan. Without a doubt. I enjoy playing soccer but I don't enjoy watching it.

Yes, I like eating. I don't like watching people eat. It also befuddles me that all of these poker show are on. Who would go to someone's house and watch people play poker?

independent_thinker2002 said:
Yes, I like eating. I don't like watching people eat. It also befuddles me that all of these poker show are on. Who would go to someone's house and watch people play poker?

LOL. I Love poker with a passion... I play in local tournaments at least once a week. I do actually like to watch it at times just because I like to make the side-seat call from my sofa. I admit though it is not a prolific event that would have me going to my buddies house with a twelve pack and a bag of tortilla chips and cheese sauce (or pretzels, popcorn, nuts, whatever your preference).

The animal kingdom is pretty awesome. The cheetah can run up to 60 MPH while the fastest human was recorded at 22 MPH. The mantis shrimp, which is only a few inches long, has the fastest movements in the animal world. It has been filmed grabbing its prey in 1/1000th of a second. It has also been known to break tempered glass with its claws. Thats pretty good for shrimp as long as your finger.

ddoyle00 said:
The animal kingdom is pretty awesome. The cheetah can run up to 60 MPH while the fastest human was recorded at 22 MPH. The mantis shrimp, which is only a few inches long, has the fastest movements in the animal world. It has been filmed grabbing its prey in 1/1000th of a second. It has also been known to break tempered glass with its claws. Thats pretty good for shrimp as long as your finger.

I thought that I saw where Ben Johnson could run almost 30 mph. I could be wrong.

ddoyle00 said:

LOL. shrimp breaking tempered glass with their (claws?). I din't know shrimp had claws. I knew Cheetahs had claws but I suppose I was oblivious to the comparison to shrimp in this context. I guess perhaps I should further express my naivity here-in by completely disregarding the consistency of your sardonic post.... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom