• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why isn’t the assassination attempt on Donald Trump bigger news?

Because it really wasn't a big deal. No one was hurt. The guy was a nut. Like the dude who took a shot at the White House a while back. It was news...but not BIG news.

I knew he was a British teen before this thread was started, and a person doesn't have to be American to be pro or anti anything. Just look at the number of illegals that attend political protests and riots.

I've asked before for something that validates that people coming out in droves to attend political rallies are illegals. Do you have a link?

There is zero evidence that this kid had any political leanings at all. In fact, according to his parents and friends, he never had any interest in politics. He was in this country for a year, living with his girlfriend. What in his story would lead you to believe that he is anti-republican, or holds liberal beliefs? I don't like Trump at all, and I'm a republican.

There was no assasination attempt. There was an attempt to get a gun out of a police officer's holster by a nitwit who couldn't figure out how the holster worked. The fool said he was going to shoot Disastrous Donald.

I actually think the appropriate response in a case like this is to certainly not mention his name or run his picture.

... as poor an attempt as it was, it still has to be reported. Along with the info on the nutball perp.
After all, there was ...
Conservative author Brad Thor made comments last Wednesday, saying that Trump opponents may be forced to resort to extralegal means. “This is serious and this could bring down incredible heat on me because I’m about to suggest something very bad. It is a hypothetical I am going to ask as a thriller writer…” he said. “If Congress won’t remove him from office, what patriot will step up and do that if he oversteps his mandate as president?”

SiriusXM Suspends Glenn Beck After Guest Hints at Donald Trump Assassination | Mediaite

Now, would it have a deterrent component if no one mentioned it at all?
Of course, reporting of such things would have to be accompanied by condemnation in order to have any deterrence.
But when you have riots and "fascist" and "racist" tossed around without pushback the kid might have thought he's just doing what people want him to do.

... as poor an attempt as it was, it still has to be reported. Along with the info on the nutball perp.
After all, there was ...
Conservative author Brad Thor made comments last Wednesday, saying that Trump opponents may be forced to resort to extralegal means. “This is serious and this could bring down incredible heat on me because I’m about to suggest something very bad. It is a hypothetical I am going to ask as a thriller writer…” he said. “If Congress won’t remove him from office, what patriot will step up and do that if he oversteps his mandate as president?”

SiriusXM Suspends Glenn Beck After Guest Hints at Donald Trump Assassination | Mediaite

Now, would it have a deterrent component if no one mentioned it at all?
Of course, reporting of such things would have to be accompanied by condemnation in order to have any deterrence.
But when you have riots and "fascist" and "racist" tossed around without pushback the kid might have thought he's just doing what people want him to do.

IMO, publicizing nutballs like this one is counterproductive. It's what they want, and I see no benefit running their name and picture in a bunch of stories nationwide.

Just as an example, we had a right winger shoot up a local Unitarian Church, killed and injured several, and his note made it clear he wanted people to know what he did and why, so others would use his example and take out liberals. I'm glad that guy didn't get as much publicity as he wanted, except as a low life scum who targeted a children's play.

Not sure what relevance Brad Thor is to this question... He's a wacko, and the one book of his I read featured tea party types who assassinated members of Congress as heroes.

Wut? That wasn't an "assassination attempt". He tried to grab someone's gun from his holster. Assassins tend to bring their own weapons.

What John Hinckley did to Reagan was an assassination attempt. $50 says this British teenager robot fan did this for attention. Apparently his American girlfriend, who was the reason he was here anyway, threw his ass out on the street.

Man who attempted to grab gun at rally wanted 'to kill Trump' - CNNPolitics.com

“The man arrested for trying to disarm a police officer inside a Donald Trump rally in Las Vegas Saturday told authorities he intended to use the gun "to kill Trump," according to a new criminal complaint……….

There were 2 assassination attempts on Obama that also received scant coverage. It's not because they were big news either. Just like Trump's would-be assassination attempt, those 2 were also ham handed and idiotic, and not worth covering.

There is no conspiracy. LOL.

I didnt even know that . . .

that too must be a conspiracy theory!!!!

:confused:
If everything some clown told the cops is listed as an 'assassination attempt', the jails would be full of people who have 'attempted' to kill Barack Obama. Of course, we know that doesn't count because you don't like Obama.

:confused:

Well, if we were to apply the White House reasoning that's being used for radical Islamic terrorism, maybe the media is asking "why give him any publicity?".
Kind of a crappy excuse, isn't it?

Sorry IMHO you make no sense.............other than appearing to sounding angry

IMO, publicizing nutballs like this one is counterproductive. It's what they want, and I see no benefit running their name and picture in a bunch of stories nationwide.

Just as an example, we had a right winger shoot up a local Unitarian Church, killed and injured several, and his note made it clear he wanted people to know what he did and why, so others would use his example and take out liberals. I'm glad that guy didn't get as much publicity as he wanted, except as a low life scum who targeted a children's play.

Not sure what relevance Brad Thor is to this question... He's a wacko, and the one book of his I read featured tea party types who assassinated members of Congress as heroes.

There's your relevance right there.
And further relevance is that the story of both should be reported and ridiculed to limit whatever self aggrandizement they were looking to get.
But using any excuse to censor news is a path we should never take and acceptance of that practice has implications way beyond the nutball and the wacko.
That kind of thing should be reserved for protecting witnesses and law enforcement.

There's your relevance right there.
And further relevance is that the story of both should be reported and ridiculed to limit whatever self aggrandizement they were looking to get.
But using any excuse to censor news is a path we should never take and acceptance of that practice has implications way beyond the nutball and the wacko.
That kind of thing should be reserved for protecting witnesses and law enforcement.

No one is talking about "censoring" the news. They're not obligated to put the picture or name of a whack job on the news at all, much less for 10 straight days every hour on the hour. It's entirely possible to report on the crime without making the guy famous.

And Brad Thor didn't commit a crime, but I'm fine with ridiculing his viewpoints.

No one is talking about "censoring" the news. They're not obligated to put the picture or name of a whack job on the news at all, much less for 10 straight days every hour on the hour. It's entirely possible to report on the crime without making the guy famous.

And Brad Thor didn't commit a crime, but I'm fine with ridiculing his viewpoints.

What Lynch tried to do regarding Orlando was censoring the news and the excuse was the same.
When someone like this kid does what he did he deserves to be publicly ridiculed with his name and face attached.

I'm suggesting that kind of subjective reporting of the news has already become too common ... and for reasons not nearly so noble sounding.
It's was a bad practice before and it still is.

What Lynch tried to do regarding Orlando was censoring the news and the excuse was the same.
When someone like this kid does what he did he deserves to be publicly ridiculed with his name and face attached.

I'm suggesting that kind of subjective reporting of the news has already become too common ... and for reasons not nearly so noble sounding.

Greetings, bubba. :2wave:

:agree! :thumbs: The shooter in Orlando killed 49 people and seriously injured 50 others, and she wanted to censure what he said and did? Dylan Roof killed nine people in a South Carolina church, and among other things, confederate flags were ordered not to be displayed any longer! Some serious bias is evident in our Dept of Justice! Why is that? I thought that's why Justice is portrayed as a woman who wears a blindfold, since all are supposedly equal where the law is concerned, and both are guilty of cold-blooded murder, IMO, no matter what excuses are offered - since both planned their killing sprees! :thumbdown:

Last edited:

WTH does Orlando have to do with this kid? Has anyone tried to "censor" the news with him? How? It's been reported, in AFAIK all the major outlets, so what has been censored?

And we disagree about publishing his name and face - it's what he wants, and I'd prefer we deny those nutjobs the notoriety they seek. Disagree with you want, but it's got nothing whatsoever to do with censorship unless you think Obama is giving some order to NBC and Fox to cease all coverage or something.

The guy is an incompetent, delusional, moron. Not sure why he merits more than a brief mention in any news outlet. What's there to talk about after about 10 seconds?

Man who attempted to grab gun at rally wanted 'to kill Trump' - CNNPolitics.com

“The man arrested for trying to disarm a police officer inside a Donald Trump rally in Las Vegas Saturday told authorities he intended to use the gun "to kill Trump," according to a new criminal complaint……….

So? If a man is arrested for posting on Facebook "I want to kill Barack Obama", it isn't an "assassination attempt". He is arrested for a threat. If you don't know by now what an assassination attempt is, I can't help you.

Greetings, bubba. :2wave:

:agree! :thumbs: The shooter in Orlando killed 49 people and seriously injured 50 others, and she wanted to censure what he said and did? Dylan Roof killed nine people in a South Carolina church, and among other things, confederate flags were ordered not to be displayed any longer! Some serious bias is evident in our Dept of Justice! Why is that? I thought that's why Justice is portrayed as a woman who wears a blindfold, since all are supposedly equal where the law is concerned, and both are guilty of cold-blooded murder, IMO, no matter what excuses are offered - since both planned their killing sprees! :thumbdown:

Good point.
And your example of Dylan Roof was especially good given that Barack Obama himself chose to comment about Roof, his motivation, race history, the Country, etc. ... in other words, to politicize the murders.
Why was that not encouraging the murderer?

The media is probably disappointing that he didn't actually get killed. Would've made them millions. Anyways, the reason they didn't cover this is because the news is now in its 24/7 praise Hilary movement.

WTH does Orlando have to do with this kid? Has anyone tried to "censor" the news with him? How? It's been reported, in AFAIK all the major outlets, so what has been censored?

And we disagree about publishing his name and face - it's what he wants, and I'd prefer we deny those nutjobs the notoriety they seek. Disagree with you want, but it's got nothing whatsoever to do with censorship unless you think Obama is giving some order to NBC and Fox to cease all coverage or something.

The guy is an incompetent, delusional, moron. Not sure why he merits more than a brief mention in any news outlet. What's there to talk about after about 10 seconds?

The topic is selectively reporting the news.
And the topic is the USAG not releasing information for the News to report.
And the topic is the slippery slope of news censorship, whether by news organizations themselves or Government.
We have several examples of this WH editing to remove embarrassing statements ... and coincidentally, one involved removing mention of "Islamic Terrorism" by the French President!
All the examples are pretty clear and if you're not aware of them then it looks like your news sources may have indulged themselves in some of that self censorship.

You may like the idea of Government (or friendly news outlets) censorship because you like what they choose to censor, but they won't be around forever.
Can you rely on a different Administration to make the same Jasper-friendly choices of what you're entitled to know?

It's not news because it's not news. At best the attempt was pathetic, and doomed to fail. The guy never had a job in England, yet spent thousands on buying the used robots from "Robot Wars" even though he couldn't operate them. He then came to the US to "visit his girlfriend", and spent a year living in his car, overstaying his visa in the process. He drove to California, then a week ago, drove to Las Vegas to kill Trump, pausing only to go into a gun range to find out how to shoot a gun! After a vast 20 rounds of practice, he was ready. All he needed to do then was to take a cop's gun off him....
This doesn't add up to a serious well planned assassination plot.

So? If a man is arrested for posting on Facebook "I want to kill Barack Obama", it isn't an "assassination attempt". He is arrested for a threat. If you don't know by now what an assassination attempt is, I can't help you.

Hey there friend........before you massage you ego for using your "I am smarter than you" pompous and snide remarks..............Read the article before you toot your horn so as not to sound so uninformed

It's not news because it's not news. At best the attempt was pathetic, and doomed to fail. The guy never had a job in England, yet spent thousands on buying the used robots from "Robot Wars" even though he couldn't operate them. He then came to the US to "visit his girlfriend", and spent a year living in his car, overstaying his visa in the process. He drove to California, then a week ago, drove to Las Vegas to kill Trump, pausing only to go into a gun range to find out how to shoot a gun! After a vast 20 rounds of practice, he was ready. All he needed to do then was to take a cop's gun off him....
This doesn't add up to a serious well planned assassination plot.

Did you vote on Brexit yet? What's the turn-out like?

Hey there friend........before you massage you ego for using your "I am smarter than you" pompous and snide remarks..............Read the article before you toot your horn so as not to sound so uninformed

I read the article "friend". It was not by definition an assassination attempt, as most people in this thread pointed out to you.

Did you vote on Brexit yet? What's the turn-out like?

Yes, It was quite busy midmorning as the retirees flooded in. Turnout will be higher than for the GE, I suspect, which is probably good for "Remain". Fingers crossed!

I read the article "friend". It was not by definition an assassination attempt, as most people in this thread pointed out to you.

Please then tell us all.......what is the definition of " assassination attempt"..........

Yes, It was quite busy midmorning as the retirees flooded in. Turnout will be higher than for the GE, I suspect, which is probably good for "Remain". Fingers crossed!

Yeas I heard that a high turn out would more than likely favoring to remain...........

I must say thought.........

Having a party leader who almost looks like Donald Trump and may be as "whack-a-ding-hoy" as Trump is unbelievable.............But as one once said, "The world is upside down".........

Back
Top Bottom