• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why is USA the FAT nation, of the world?

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What's the cause of so much obesity in the USA?

Lack of education?
Poor quality of food?
Lack of available exercise facilities?
Sheer greed?

What do you think?

Personally I think it is pure laziness from the mother and fathers. This country is getting away from it's morals like a family dinner. America is on the go so often that. Moms and dads don't have time to make dinner so they just get the kids fast food.Which is now what the kid likes and will continue getting for the rest of his/her life. I mean it makes me sick when I see a 80 pound 6 year old. And if you look at the parent or parents they're huge. It's all passed down through generations.And If your over weight I think you should be taxed for every pound you are over weight. because all these fat people are getting government health care and every time one of there arteries clog I have to pay for it.And next time you go to the mall or the grocery store and you watch people pulling into handicap spaces. I bet a good majority of them are fat people who can't move around because they are so fat...

Urethra Franklin said:

Lack of education?
Poor quality of food?
Sheer greed?

What do you think?

I don't know but it certainly has become a problem. More so in the past 15 years. I saw a recent study that showed the average weight for adults and the increases since 1990 were basically obscene.

I think one thing that we Americans do that most other countries don't do is we eat while doing other things. In fact we eat while doing almost everything. I know in a lot of European countries you can't even get a drink to go, yet alone a sandwich or "burger." Oh sure if you find an American fast food restaurant. But not from say a Czech. coffee shop. Go into a Czech. coffee house order a large coffee and tell them you'd like it "to go." There's every chance they'll speak at least broken English yet look at you like you're from another planet. In America we eat and drink while doing everything. Drive down any American interstate and count the number of people you see feeding their faces. Drive the Autobahn and count? There's no one to count. I think this at least adds to the problem.

I'm 6'4 and 250 lbs right at the weight I should be. I guess that is because I haven't been lazy my whole life it get up and turn the T.V. off and take a walk, you know nothing stenuous just a leisurley stroll. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all need to get off our asses away from the TV, away from the computer and just take a walk and daydream, I don't know about you but if I have nothing else better to do I like to get up every so often and take a walk it also helps me think.

here in China we only have obesity issue once we start to have access to your western 'food'. It really is disgusting - you dont even know what part of animal you are eating. It is old meats, flooded with oil and chemicals. You wonder whay you all so fat ? Rice is the heathliest food on the planet which is why we are a stong and heathly race - well until recently anyway. I think in the future the only record left of USA dominence will be the Golden Arches !!

Fried Rice tastes so much better

Fried Rice said:
here in China we only have obesity issue once we start to have access to your western 'food'. It really is disgusting - you dont even know what part of animal you are eating. It is old meats, flooded with oil and chemicals. You wonder whay you all so fat ? Rice is the heathliest food on the planet which is why we are a stong and heathly race - well until recently anyway. I think in the future the only record left of USA dominence will be the Golden Arches !!

Fried Rice tastes so much better

Man this has to be a cultural thing. I have to tell you I've done my share of traveling around Asia, about 7 countries in Asia. Granted never Red China but Kowloon (sp?) and Hong Kong. And I got to say some of the dishes I found rather disgusting, fish heads and stuff I've never seen. I certainly couldn't tell what part of the animal anyone was eating. Got to be a cultural thing. I guess what ever you grow up with looks right to you. There used to be a cool Aussie bar in Kowloon called "Ned Kelly's Last Stand." Good place to get cold beer and stuff your American face with a burger. No Fried Rice though.

Pacridge said:
Man this has to be a cultural thing. I have to tell you I've done my share of traveling around Asia, about 7 countries in Asia. Granted never Red China but Kowloon (sp?) and Hong Kong. And I got to say some of the dishes I found rather disgusting, fish heads and stuff I've never seen. I certainly couldn't tell what part of the animal anyone was eating. Got to be a cultural thing. I guess what ever you grow up with looks right to you. There used to be a cool Aussie bar in Kowloon called "Ned Kelly's Last Stand." Good place to get cold beer and stuff your American face with a burger. No Fried Rice though.

Well Hong Kong is quite western as well. We Chinese eat many body parts and always know what we are eating - it is essential part of our cusine. But what about the "disgusting parts" you eat in the "cultured west" pigs feet, tripe, black pudding, hamburgers, processed meats - that is much worse than any asian food. And ot makes you fat.

Fried Rice is so heathy !!

Fried Rice said:
Well Hong Kong is quite western as well. We Chinese eat many body parts and always know what we are eating - it is essential part of our cusine. But what about the "disgusting parts" you eat in the "cultured west" pigs feet, tripe, black pudding, hamburgers, processed meats - that is much worse than any asian food. And ot makes you fat.

Fried Rice is so heathy !!

I've never had pigs feet, never even seen tripe and I have no idea what black pudding is?? I'm guessing I'm not that cultured. Personally I eat a lot of Elk. But only because I hunt it myself. Other then that I like seafood. Salmon not so much. But calms and oysters are good. On a low tide around here any moron can get dinner for five easy. Even me.

Pacridge said:
I've never had pigs feet, never even seen tripe and I have no idea what black pudding is?? I'm guessing I'm not that cultured. Personally I eat a lot of Elk. But only because I hunt it myself. Other then that I like seafood. Salmon not so much. But calms and oysters are good. On a low tide around here any moron can get dinner for five easy. Even me.

Sorry - i think Black Pudding is a European / British meal - it is pigs blood and bits of meat and fat. My American friends tell me they eat a lot of tripe in USA.

Fried Rice is not a fan of tripe, certainly never talks it.

Black Pudding is, I'm sure, British. It is totally unhealthy and absolutely delicious.

If you want gross, try chittling!

Rice is very healthy, but less so if it's fried!

Fried Rice said:
My American friends tell me they eat a lot of tripe in USA.

Fried Rice is not a fan of tripe, certainly never talks it.

I have had tripe & pigs feet in Mexican Menudo and tripe and tendons in Vietnamese pho (pronounced fah). Both are excellent and I eat them on a regular basis.

Nurse, I have to agree with you on the chitlin's. Rot gut stank when they are boiling.

Naughty Nurse said:
Black Pudding is, I'm sure, British. It is totally unhealthy and absolutely delicious.

If you want gross, try chittling!

Rice is very healthy, but less so if it's fried!

Well that is true Naughty Nurse - good job i am slim hip Chinese !!

Fried Rice actually usually eats boiled rice (dont tell anyone !!)

Fried Rice said:
Well that is true Naughty Nurse - good job i am slim hip Chinese !!

Fried Rice actually usually eats boiled rice (dont tell anyone !!)

Ok I'm buying the slim, though obviously I've never seen you. But Hip? Jury's still out, jury's still out.:rofl

Elk's still best. Low fat, high protein.

Urethra Franklin said:

Lack of education?
Poor quality of food?
Sheer greed?

What do you think?
It's got to be a combination of not enough exercise and junk food. When I was working, I used to bike to work about 30 miles round trip three times a week, and go for recreational rides on Sunday. I was in good shape, but still twenty pounds overweight. Years before that I was called up for the Korean War and spent it on Stewart AFB near NYC. I was overweight then too. At the time I rode a motorcyle which was forbidden on the base, and I got around by walking very rapidly. After six months of this, I had lost forty pounds and was just right. Why I lost all that weight walking and not so much biking, I couldn't say. It's a bit of a puzzle. These days, the nearest store is more than a mile away. Forget walking.

Pacridge said:
Ok I'm buying the slim, though obviously I've never seen you. But Hip? Jury's still out, jury's still out.:rofl

Elk's still best. Low fat, high protein.

Pacridge i mean my hip is slim - i actually wear quite terrible clothing and never cut my hair !! :eek:

Pacridge said:
I see. What awful deeds did your clothes do? I never cut your hair either.

Its terrible confession - loose all my money playing mahjong and cards. Nothing left for clothing !!

Fried Rice - can just afford to buy some

Kenneth T. Cornelius said:
It's got to be a combination of not enough exercise and junk food. When I was working, I used to bike to work about 30 miles round trip three times a week, and go for recreational rides on Sunday. I was in good shape, but still twenty pounds overweight. Years before that I was called up for the Korean War and spent it on Stewart AFB near NYC. I was overweight then too. At the time I rode a motorcyle which was forbidden on the base, and I got around by walking very rapidly. After six months of this, I had lost forty pounds and was just right. Why I lost all that weight walking and not so much biking, I couldn't say. It's a bit of a puzzle. These days, the nearest store is more than a mile away. Forget walking.

Walking is good. I walk 3 miles a day, most days. I'm not all that rapid at it, takes me about an hour. Myself and my two dogs. My wife some days, but her career is more run and gun then mine. If I try to slide by for a day they just sit and stare at me until I get up and take them. They keep me honest I guess.

Fried Rice said:
Its terrible confession - loose all my money playing mahjong and cards. Nothing left for clothing !!

Fried Rice - can just afford to buy some

I never understood mahjong. Blackjack. Go to Reno twice a year play for hours always break about even. Never up real big, never down any either. Used to be nice you could go and get all kinds of Comps just for playing. Not so much any more.

Pacridge said:
I never understood mahjong. Blackjack. Go to Reno twice a year play for hours always break about even. Never up real big, never down any either. Used to be nice you could go and get all kinds of Comps just for playing. Not so much any more.

Mahjong is easy game - very fast moving - so money goes quick if you loose !! Nice part is winner has to pay for all the drinks :p

Fried Rice sang too much karaoke last night

Fried Rice said:
Mahjong is easy game - very fast moving - so money goes quick if you loose !! Nice part is winner has to pay for all the drinks :p

My dad is just full of wisdom.
He always told me never to gamble with a drunk Chinaman, because you will loose.

vauge said:
My dad is just full of wisdom.
He always told me never to gamble with a drunk Chinaman, because you will loose.

Wow -sounds like he talk from personal experience !!

Fried Rice said:

Fried Rice sang too much karaoke last night

Maybe buying drinks kept me from understanding the game. Don't know it's been a long time.

Back
Top Bottom