• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is the Obama administration fighting to keep poor children in bad schools?

Good afternoon, ocean 515. :2wave:

It seems easier to just throw money at something than correct the underlying problems! I wish I had that luxury! Since I don't, I vote, which is the only thing I can do. Unfortunately, it only seems to make the politicians angry that their plans are being thwarted, and they try again and again to get their pet projects approved. So far, probably because of the economy, they haven't succeeded.

Hi Polgara :2wave:

One of the more appauling displays of voter/parent/government indifference to the problem came into view the last election.

Two Propositions were on the ballot promoted as benefiting schools. One raised taxes on everyone, and every dollar went to fund schools. The other Prop derived the majority of the funds from an increase in taxes on the rich, with the funds going to the general fund, and only promises it would trickle down to the schools. The raise the taxes on the rich passed, effectively communicating that voters aren't interested in taking responsibility for the childrens education, they want the rich to pay for it.

That's what happens when Progressives create a taker society.

What a pity. The rich will get their children educated, insuring they are better preparred for the jobs of the future, while the rest of the children are subject to the disaster that has become public education.

Hi Polgara :2wave:

One of the more appauling displays of voter/parent/government indifference to the problem came into view the last election.

Two Propositions were on the ballot promoted as benefiting schools. One raised taxes on everyone, and every dollar went to fund schools. The other Prop derived the majority of the funds from an increase in taxes on the rich, with the funds going to the general fund, and only promises it would trickle down to the schools. The raise the taxes on the rich passed, effectively communicating that voters aren't interested in taking responsibility for the childrens education, they want the rich to pay for it.

That's what happens when Progressives create a taker society.

What a pity. The rich will get their children educated, insuring they are better preparred for the jobs of the future, while the rest of the children are subject to the disaster that has become public education.

Good morning, ocean515. :2wave:

So when it came down to everyone paying more, versus just the rich paying more, the rich got chosen. I suppose it wasn't totally unexpected. The propaganda masters have done a good job demonizing the "rich," who are already paying over 40% of all taxes in this country. I can't recall ever having the choice of who gets to pay for something, though. We usually all end up paying. How did they ever get that "special group pays" put on the ballot? Human nature being what it is, that was a slam-dunk! Clever, dishonest politicians win again, I guess. :thumbdown:

Good morning, ocean515. :2wave:

So when it came down to everyone paying more, versus just the rich paying more, the rich got chosen. I suppose it wasn't totally unexpected. The propaganda masters have done a good job demonizing the "rich," who are already paying over 40% of all taxes in this country. I can't recall ever having the choice of who gets to pay for something, though. We usually all end up paying. How did they ever get that "special group pays" put on the ballot? Human nature being what it is, that was a slam-dunk! Clever, dishonest politicians win again, I guess. :thumbdown:

You're correct when you write we all end up paying.

As California is witnessing, when you demand the rich pay for most of everything, you'd better hope they stay rich and get richer, as opposed to being fed up with the abuse, and leaving.

Once the tax crown has been awarded, as it now has to California, where else do politician go to confiscate more money?

Likely less than you think. Your taxes are divided among many different things. Outside of levees, you'd be hard pressed to separate it out. The money is for public education, and to subsidize private business. Your not just helping finance your children, but the overall public. You're free to use your money to get your children passed along at a rebate school. Of course that likely requires a fair sum. ;)

Our children are already grown, out of college and supporting themselves and their own families. My taxes now are my contribution to the community.:peace

That's true. I was talking a president of a private school last year. He was asking questions about how to help his students. He admitted that even though he didn't want to dumb it down, he would because of the bottom line. Parents wanted them to pass, so they would pass.

But you're missing the point. Public school isn't a business. If it were, more schools would be behaving like that school president. I'm not convinced that would be a positive.

Have you not heard of union public teachers changing test scores to help out their school rating. I didn't think so.

Have you not heard of union public teachers changing test scores to help out their school rating. I didn't think so.

I've heard of anti-union conservatives breaking the law, so conservatives must be bad.

But Americans are free, and have right to use their education resources as they see fit.:peace

I love how conservatives have distorted the term "free" to mean anything that isn't public and democratic.

I guess when your ideology is intellectually bankrupt, you have to use tricks like that and hope nobody notices.

I love how conservatives have distorted the term "free" to mean anything that isn't public and democratic.

I guess when your ideology is intellectually bankrupt, you have to use tricks like that and hope nobody notices.

My concept of "free" is both public and democratic. You stand in the way of public, democratic freedom on behalf of narrow interest group selfishness.:peace

Our children are already grown, out of college and supporting themselves and their own families. My taxes now are my contribution to the community.:peace

As do mine, and gladly so. Changes little I said.

And non union schools as well. When you use a stupid measure and attach money to it, only a fool would not expect some issues to creep up. He'll, Texas led the way by dumbing down in order to look better.

Which btw has nothing to do with the post you answered.

I have repeatedly and just did again with my last question to you and my response.

No, in no way did you answer this:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley:

That's true. I was talking a president of a private school last year. He was asking questions about how to help his students. He admitted that even though he didn't want to dumb it down, he would because of the bottom line. Parents wanted them to pass, so they would pass.

But you're missing the point. Public school isn't a business. If it were, more schools would be behaving like that school president. I'm not convinced that would be a positive.

The point was money attached to education, the market. This is what you get.

And non union schools as well. When you use a stupid measure and attach money to it, only a fool would not expect some issues to creep up. He'll, Texas led the way by dumbing down in order to look better.

Which btw has nothing to do with the post you answered.

You just answered your post 334 and 370 for me, I could not has answered it better.

Back
Top Bottom