• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is the jitney illegal?

Because there would be no personal cost to the people who run the companies, right?

That kind of fraud would most likely be affecting more than 1 person and would be responsible for more than just $20 of fraud. If they don't have the resources to investigate it then give them more resources.

Since he doesn't have the money, he probably won't take the risk.
Wrong, he will take the risk because he has no money. What is a $1000 fine to some one who does not have $1000, and no means to get $1000. It is meaningless as it wont be paid.
Apparently in Chicago it isn't, and no one can prove that things are much worse there.
It certainly sounds like some cab companies are a problem in the Chicago area

If it could currently be proven to the satisfaction of a court of law, they wouldn't be in business. There haven't been any investigative reports on suburban taxi scams in the Chicago area, although, now that Tom has extricated himself from one, I am thinking about sending out some feelers to some investigative reporters. However, they're truly the scum of the earth.

In other words, there is no proof. Thank you.

Wrong, he will take the risk because he has no money. What is a $1000 fine to some one who does not have $1000, and no means to get $1000.

It means bankruptcy and not even the potential for credit. It might even mean jail time as driving without those things isn't exactly very legal.
It certainly sounds like some cab companies are a problem in the Chicago area

What proof has been given to you? Because it hasn't been posted in this thread.

Apparently in Chicago it isn't, and no one can prove that things are much worse there.

The City of Chicago is highly regulated. Medallions cost upwards of $40K last time I heard. It is absolutely illegal for any taxi cab to pick up in the City of Chicago without a medallion. Penalty? $600 first offense, I think; taxi cab impounded. Nobody messes with the City of Chicago. Great system. Safety checks; complaint board; minimum vehicle requirements (like must have a/c; can't be older than 5 model years); mandatory unscheduled safety checks after 3 complaints received from the general public; meter checks; etc.) http://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...esandregs/rulesfortaxicabmedallionholders.pdf

It means bankruptcy and not even the potential for credit. It might even mean jail time as driving without those things isn't exactly very legal.
A person who would be willing to work for such a company most likely does not have much in the way of assets. Bankruptcy would not be possible as they could not afford the lawyer, they would also most likely skip town before having to go to jail.

What proof has been given to you? Because it hasn't been posted in this thread.

And you have not provided any proof that removing regulations from the taxicab industry will not result in an increase in the issues brought up

It means bankruptcy and not even the potential for credit. It might even mean jail time as driving without those things isn't exactly very legal. What proof has been given to you? Because it hasn't been posted in this thread.

It's so enjoyable debating opinions with you, Phattonez. The last person who said, "Prove It" to me as many times as you have was about 12. Hmmmm....

It's so enjoyable debating opinions with you, Phattonez. The last person who said, "Prove It" to me as many times as you have was about 12. Hmmmm....

Here's a thought, maybe you should actually prove these "facts" then.

The City of Chicago is highly regulated. Medallions cost upwards of $40K last time I heard. It is absolutely illegal for any taxi cab to pick up in the City of Chicago without a medallion. Penalty? $600 first offense, I think; taxi cab impounded. Nobody messes with the City of Chicago. Great system. Safety checks; complaint board; minimum vehicle requirements (like must have a/c; can't be older than 5 model years); mandatory unscheduled safety checks after 3 complaints received from the general public; meter checks; etc.) http://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...esandregs/rulesfortaxicabmedallionholders.pdf
So it's the outlying cities that are unregulated?

A person who would be willing to work for such a company most likely does not have much in the way of assets. Bankruptcy would not be possible as they could not afford the lawyer, they would also most likely skip town before having to go to jail.

Problem solved, that guy isn't driving taxis anymore.

And you have not provided any proof that removing regulations from the taxicab industry will not result in an increase in the issues brought up

How does one prove that something isn't happening?

Here's a thought, maybe you should actually prove these "facts" then.

Here's a thought. Maybe you shouldn't post asking for an opinion on a public forum unless you're prepared to accept others' opinions.

Here's a thought. Maybe you shouldn't post asking for an opinion on a public forum unless you're prepared to accept others' opinions.

I'm not going to accept an opinion unless it has been argued for well or has facts to back it up. You have done neither, so I have no obligation to accept your opinion.

Problem solved, that guy isn't driving taxis anymore.
How does one prove that something isn't happening?

Seems like proving the moon doesn't revolve around the earth is pretty easy. I could be wrong, though.

I'm not going to accept an opinion unless it has been argued for well or has facts to back it up. You have done neither, so I have no obligation to accept your opinion.

You don't have to believe my opinion, but you've already accepted it, unless it never stopped between your ears. Please argue your converse point that taxi regulation is harmful. Links please.

Seems like proving the moon doesn't revolve around the earth is pretty easy. I could be wrong, though.
You can't prove that something doesn't happen. You can prove that all of these things are happening, that's easy. How do I go about proving that these things aren't happening? It's impossible for me to do that.

Do you even read my posts? I've been posting about suburban Chicago throughout this thread.

Yes, I know, then you brought up the city of Chicago for no reason.

It seems like your true opinion is the regulation = good and no regulation = bad. It's not based on data or sound arguments, it's just based on emotions.

You can't prove that something doesn't happen. You can prove that all of these things are happening, that's easy. How do I go about proving that these things aren't happening? It's impossible for me to do that.

You really don't read my post, do you?? ROFLMAO.

Last edited:

It seems like your true opinion is the regulation = good and no regulation = bad. It's not based on data or sound arguments, it's just based on emotions.

It's based on sound personal experience not emotion. In my life, my personal experience is enough on which to base an educated opinion. I'm really sorry that it isn't the same way in yours.

And what is your opinion based on.

You have not provided any data or put up any sound arguments, other then to say the market will take care of it

And what is your opinion based on.

You have not provided any data or put up any sound arguments, other then to say the market will take care of it

And I haven't been shown any evidence that the market isn't taking care of it.

It's based on sound personal experience not emotion. In my life, my personal experience is enough on which to base an educated opinion. I'm really sorry that it isn't the same way in yours.

Yeah, anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it in the real world where you have to convince others.

In the example the problem was not his driving it was the cab company he was working for, which would still be in business

I fail to see how they would have no consequences since they were accessories to a crime.

So all of those things happened even with regulation? Interesting. I guess people just expect all companies to be safe so don't really think about it when the government is ensuring safety with their regulations.

The following is an example of what I would consider fair regulation
Department of Executive Administration

If it's not done for all cars then I don't see why cabs should be treated differently.

Yeah, anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it in the real world where you have to convince others.

Pretty good indication you accept anecdotal evidence, don't you think? "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:44-45

Pretty good indication you accept anecdotal evidence, don't you think? "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:44-45

Wow, you don't even know what you're arguing about anymore, do you?

Back
Top Bottom