• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is the average I.Q. only 95?

Like I said earlier:

When resources are scarce, who's more likely to figure out ways to secure them? Smart people or dumb people? When resources are plentiful and social safety nets are put into place, you expect to see improvement in intelligence (people are more likely to approach their genetic potential), but now you are no longer selecting for intelligent
Whether this pans out or not isn't something we will know for a very long time.

Education may increase knowledge. It has no effect on intelligence.
IQ tests don't actually measure some kind of innate intelligence. The whole concept is flawed.

Perhaps. And I've always thought the only thing it shows for sure is how well one does on an I.Q. test.
Yeah. You can practice IQ tests or take them multiple times and start scoring better. This means it is testing skills that can be learned, not some fundamental "intelligence" of the person.

IQ tests don't actually measure some kind of innate intelligence. The whole concept is flawed.
IQ tests were used in WW I to quickly place soldiers in the army. Low scorers were handed a rifle.

IQ tests were used in WW I to quickly place soldiers in the army. Low scorers were handed a rifle.
Even the military abandoned IQ testing later on.

They are used to this day, I believe.

They are used to this day, I believe.

ASVAB is not an IQ test. In fact, there is an specific process for people who score low and then get some more education and come back to score better.

Yeah. You can practice IQ tests or take them multiple times and start scoring better. This means it is testing skills that can be learned, not some fundamental "intelligence" of the person.
Individual IQ tests have pretty good security. It's an ethical violation for Psychologists to reveal contents of the tests, although you can probably find just about anything on the internet.

Individual IQ tests have pretty good security. It's an ethical violation for Psychologists to reveal contents of the tests, although you can probably find just about anything on the internet.
If the scores are improving over time, then the test is not measuring some innate characteristic, but rather a learned skill.

ASVAB is not an IQ test. In fact, there is an specific process for people who score low and then get some more education and come back to score better.
Depends on how you define the term, I guess. But it is a group based ability test used by the military to test candidates thinking abilities and fitness to serve in the military. It also helps them direct higher scorers into more advanced training.

If the scores are improving over time, then the test is not measuring some innate characteristic, but rather a learned skill.
The Flynn Effect says the overall performance on the tests is getting better, but not because of any practice effects.

Depends on how you define the term, I guess. But it is a group based ability test used by the military to test candidates thinking abilities and fitness to serve in the military. It also helps them direct higher scorers into more advanced training.
No, it does not depend on how you define the term.

The SAT and ACT are not the same test. The ASVAB and IQ test are not the same test. Coke and Pepsi are not the same beverage.

The Flynn Effect says the overall performance on the tests is getting better, but not because of any practice effects.
You don't understand. An individual person can score better over time via practice, indicating the test is measuring a learned skill.

The Flynn Effect is not applicable to this phenomenon.

Because the schools teach agenda and don't stick to real education any longer.

Thank the left for dumbing down K-12.
download.png
And THERE folks is the kind of response you can expect from those who want to pass themselves off as wiser.

No, it does not depend on how you define the term.

The SAT and ACT are not the same test. The ASVAB and IQ test are not the same test. Coke and Pepsi are not the same beverage.
The SAT, ACT, and ASVAB are all essentially tests of learning ability, though group based in administration. The former two assess aptitude for college learning, while the ASVAB has more measures of mechanical reasoning.

All correlate highly with individual IQ tests.

It should be 100 but because Progressives slightly outnumber conservative its only 95
Great, someone with far less IQ than average just dropped us a real nugget of wisdom :rolleyes:

You don't understand. An individual person can score better over time via practice, indicating the test is measuring a learned skill.

The Flynn Effect is not applicable to this phenomenon.
How do you practice a test you do not have access to?

How do you practice a test you do not have access to?
Do you think nobody in the world has ever taken an IQ test twice?

You can buy self scoring I.Q. tests. My identical twin and I did.

Do you think nobody in the world has ever taken an IQ test twice?
I know many that have, as I was the one giving it to them. There was usually a three-year gap required between administrations to account for practice effects, which were negligible. Most scores only varied by a few points, higher and lower.

Very few people in the general population have taken an actual IQ test.

Back
Top Bottom