• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Russia an enemy?

c0wardlyli0n

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I would love an explanation as to why I should support any politician that instigates hostilities toward Russia.

Eh...because communism?

I honestly don't know why we have to have such poor relations with Russia. We have better relations with plenty of other countries that have worse human rights records and such. The only thing I can really think of is to fight over resources, but then we'd have to include China in that. But, once you factor in the resources spent fighting for resources, I'm not sure what you're netting.

Oh! I know...we have to have a boggie man so we can keep our defense industry going. It's one of the few things we actually still make and export on a large scale in our country. Would be hell on our economy for that to take a hit.

Eh...because communism?

I honestly don't know why we have to have such poor relations with Russia. We have better relations with plenty of other countries that have worse human rights records and such. The only thing I can really think of is to fight over resources, but then we'd have to include China in that. But, once you factor in the resources spent fighting for resources, I'm not sure what you're netting.

Oh! I know...we have to have a boggie man so we can keep our defense industry going. It's one of the few things we actually still make and export on a large scale in our country. Would be hell on our economy for that to take a hit.
Not a bad answer at all.

I would love an explanation as to why I should support any politician that instigates hostilities toward Russia.

I see no one instigating hostilities toward Russia, now as for Russia instigating hostilities towards others that is a proven act on their part.

I see no one instigating hostilities toward Russia, now as for Russia instigating hostilities towards others that is a proven act on their part.

Err....wha....?

Are you by chance unaware that the U.S. has cobbled together a coalition to enforce sanctions on Russia? I consider sanctions an act of war. This is not the only example but just the most obvious and undeniable one.

I think Putin has a different philosophy than the powers at be in America and the west. We are very imperialistic with how we handle the world and getting access to resources below market value. It's becoming unnecessary, and that lust for more resources started ISIL.

Putin seems to be more laid back. Content. I'm sure he will do anything for the best interest of Russia, but he isn't going to conquer actively like we have been doing. So I think he keeps an eye out, but he is letting things work themselves out while he can be productive in other avenues.

Err....wha....?

Are you by chance unaware that the U.S. has cobbled together a coalition to enforce sanctions on Russia? I consider sanctions an act of war. This is not the only example but just the most obvious and undeniable one.

Putin has said the US Sanctions isn't affecting them at all.

The OP has a good question. And is one of two reasons I might consider supporting trump. I don't like the bastard but I really don't see the reason to have stress with Russia. As a whole they seem like good people with similar desires as I.

Err....wha....?

You mean in retaliation for invading and undermining other nations, oh my, we are just terrible I feel so bad, NOT!

You mean in retaliation for invading and undermining other nations, oh my, we are just terrible I feel so bad, NOT!

Because the other nations have totally not done that in Iraq, Libya, Ukraine, Syria...

Eh...because communism?

That and the whole Russian Imperialism that we fought for decades and is now rearing it ugly head again... How many nations do we allow Russia to take over using military force before something needs to be done about it??? We sat on our hands the last time Russia (USSR) did this and watched while they drove the whole of E. Europe into a hole that it's still digging out of.

Because the other nations have totally not done that in Iraq, Libya, Ukraine, Syria...

But we are talking about Russia and their actions. Nice try though.

Putin has said the US Sanctions isn't affecting them at all.

Well, he's saying what he needs to say but that's simply not a reality. There are definite economic difficulties they are facing. That aside, whether a sanction is effective or not doesn't negate their existence. If I try and punch you but miss, or glance off of you, I'm still either attempting or committing assault.

That and the whole Russian Imperialism that we fought for decades and is now rearing it ugly head again... How many nations do we allow Russia to take over using military force before something needs to be done about it??? We sat on our hands the last time Russia (USSR) did this and watched while they drove the whole of E. Europe into a hole that it's still digging out of.
Bwahahahaha! Russian Imperialism? Are you aware of how many US military bases there are across the world? The answer is over 650 bases in nearly 40 countries. Imperialism? Look in the mirror.

But we are talking about Russia and their actions. Nice try though.

Hey...I'm just pointing out how we have so much in common so we can be friends.

Ummm...just how is Russian Imperialism rearing it's ugly head again? I don't see it happening.

Because Putin's ex KGB and in his mind the Cold War is still going strong?

Shades of "Do you want to die for Danzig?" shouldn't be repeated.

Ummm...just how is Russian Imperialism rearing it's ugly head again? I don't see it happening.

You could make a strong case that the Ukrainain insurgency and the Syrian Expedition are Putin flexing.

we should put off the dick measuring contests with Russia until after we repair and expand our infrastructure, fix our health care system, send our kids to college without putting them in serious debt, and change our transportation energy model. the time for bar fightin' isn't when your own roof is leaking. get up there and fix that ****, and then you can go flex your muscles at the dude who looked at you wrong. even then, though, it's a poor idea, IMO.

You could make a strong case that the Ukrainain insurgency and the Syrian Expedition are Putin flexing.

Well, Ukraine is on the border of Russia and there was western involvement in an illegal overthrow of their government. We continue to try and back anti-Russian governments and try to grow NATO, which is an anti-Russia coalition. Additionally, Crimea was never really Ukrainian and, that aside, is Russia's only warm water navy port. There are many reasons why Russia has a legitimate vested interest in being involved there.

Syria is, and has been for a long time, a Russian ally and the U.S. is going after them. If anything, Russia has been very moderate in their response.

Because Putin's ex KGB and in his mind the Cold War is still going strong?

The U.S. never stopped the Cold War and the current admin is merely trying to get it going at levels like the old days.

Well, Ukraine is on the border of Russia and there was western involvement in an illegal overthrow of their government. We continue to try and back anti-Russian governments and try to grow NATO, which is an anti-Russia coalition. Additionally, Crimea was never really Ukrainian and, that aside, is Russia's only warm water navy port. There are many reasons why Russia has a legitimate vested interest in being involved there.

Syria is, and has been for a long time, a Russian ally and the U.S. is going after them. If anything, Russia has been very moderate in their response.

So we shouldn't try to grow NATO? Why? If it weren't for NATO do you really think the Baltic States would still be independent?

The United States is in the same neighborhood as, say, the Dominican Republic. If we think the guy who gets elected is going to pal around with the Russians should we sent everything, including the kitchen sink, to a bunch of rebels? The Cold War is supposed to be over, after all.

The U.S. never stopped the Cold War and the current admin is merely trying to get it going at levels like the old days.

I'd say we did stop the Cold War. After all, what was all that mid nineties soul searching for otherwise?

Also, I just noticed I'm a guru. That's pretty cool lol.

Back
Top Bottom