• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Racism In America Limited to Black and White; Do Other Races Not Exist?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With the MSM further race-baiting this country over the GZ verdict and the various affirmative action cases seeing the light, I'd like to approach the issue in a different way. I would argue that Asians face an enormous amount of discrimination, even from a pure formulaic standpoint.

For example, look at the Asian population. Chinese workers brought over in the 1800's to work on the railroads worked in highly volatile, unsafe environments where the death rate was extremely high. The only reason Asians were allowed to stay here legally was because in the early 20th century an immigration center burned down, along with all its papers. Asians faced very similar discrimination in the first half of the 20th century, opting for the low-income areas of China town. Additionally, many Asians have to overcome a language barrier. Why are Asians not treated in the same way as African Americans?

Affirmative action is supposed to make up for the concept of "white privilege" that exists only to caucasians. My question is if this were the case, why wouldn't AA exist for ALL non-whites? If we are targeting fairness, and the premise is that the system is "unfair" because whites get implicit advantages inherent to race, then why does race always come down to the Black/White issue instead of White/non-white? In other words, how come an Asian scoring a 2250 on his SATs will have the same chance as an African American scoring 1800 when it comes to getting into elite colleges? Is there some kind of "Asian privilege" that I am unaware of?

How come Marion Barry is allowed to outright say he wants to get rid of "dirty Asian businesses" so that upstanding African American citizens can run better businesses, but had the roles been flipped, we'd be in another media frenzy?

Does this rub any liberal the wrong way?

With the MSM further race-baiting this country over the GZ verdict and the various affirmative action cases seeing the light, I'd like to approach the issue in a different way. I would argue that Asians face an enormous amount of discrimination, even from a pure formulaic standpoint.

For example, look at the Asian population. Chinese workers brought over in the 1800's to work on the railroads worked in highly volatile, unsafe environments where the death rate was extremely high. The only reason Asians were allowed to stay here legally was because in the early 20th century an immigration center burned down, along with all its papers. Asians faced very similar discrimination in the first half of the 20th century, opting for the low-income areas of China town. Additionally, many Asians have to overcome a language barrier. Why are Asians not treated in the same way as African Americans?

Affirmative action is supposed to make up for the concept of "white privilege" that exists only to caucasians. My question is if this were the case, why wouldn't AA exist for ALL non-whites? If we are targeting fairness, and the premise is that the system is "unfair" because whites get implicit advantages inherent to race, then why does race always come down to the Black/White issue instead of White/non-white? In other words, how come an Asian scoring a 2250 on his SATs will have the same chance as an African American scoring 1800 when it comes to getting into elite colleges? Is there some kind of "Asian privilege" that I am unaware of?

How come Marion Barry is allowed to outright say he wants to get rid of "dirty Asian businesses" so that upstanding African American citizens can run better businesses, but had the roles been flipped, we'd be in another media frenzy?

Does this rub any liberal the wrong way?

Good point. The answer is basically that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Can you name any "Asian leaders" on par with Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? There have been ethnic ghettos of all sorts in this country, yet most decide to move on, assimilate as soon as possible and accept personal responsibility, education and hard work as the path out of adversity.

14 Important Statistics About Asian Americans : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

I have been wondering about this very question, as its hard not to if you think about it. Yes, the Asian population WAS oppressed, and were very poorly paid back in the day. Yet, they have done incredibly well in light of all that! Now, one of the big topics of Affirmative Action, is the idea of discriminating against Asians in universities, because they often seem to do better on tests and grades, and they receive entrance into schools at a high percentage as compared with some other races. So, the far left's way of dealing with that, is to discriminate against them by giving preferential treatment to Latinos and blacks(but ONLY to Latinos and blacks). Thats just discriminating against the 'already discriminated against'! Thats just so unfair and unreasonable. The idea that if you are Latino you should automatically be allowed to have worse grades than 'other' races, and still be accepted, while Asians are turned away even if their grades are better, is just as bad as the original discrimination!

Its unbelievable that we've gotten to this point, especially considering how far this country has come in improving race relations, and all this will do is cause more racial strife, because NOBODY wants to be discriminated against! Its NEVER fair or justifiable! Instead of lowering the bar for 'some' races, why not find ways to improve their standing, without being unfair to other races? It just seems like common sense, no?

But what this is really about, is pandering to a very large voting block. "We'll discriminate against others, in your favor, in exchange for your votes"....

Asians are discriminated against, but they make up only 5% of the population compared to 13%. This lessens awareness.

Also, Asians were not slaves here.

Asian americans do qualify for AA. Anyone who has been socio-economically disadvantaged qualifies.

And Marion Berry is a joke.

1) Find an Asian, an Arab, a Swede, a Brit, a Russian, a Venezuelan, and a black person.
2) Put them all behind curtains.
3) Make each stick his hand through the curtain, so that only their hand and upper arm show.

Which one is different?

That's the one easiest to both discriminate against, and race-bait with. It's low-hanging fruit for the attention starved.

Asian americans do qualify for AA. Anyone who has been socio-economically disadvantaged qualifies.

And Marion Berry is a joke.

Asian Americans get anti-affirmative action, which means it is harder for Asians to get into elite universities. I guess, in a way, that means they "qualify" for the AA program.

1) Find an Asian, an Arab, a Swede, a Brit, a Russian, a Venezuelan, and a black person.
2) Put them all behind curtains.
3) Make each stick his hand through the curtain, so that only their hand and upper arm show.

Which one is different?

That's the one easiest to both discriminate against, and race-bait with. It's low-hanging fruit for the attention starved.

What is the point of this? Are you saying you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a white and Asian person?

Hmm..., Along with Asians, should the Irish, Italians and Hispanics also be included the discrimination and partial story of slavery in America? Why are only the African Americans making the claims and demands?
I know from my grandfather's stories, that when he came to America he was almost enslaved but he escaped. Just how many of us on these boards were told similar stories of enslavement by their grand parents enslaved by other whites?

What is the point of this? Are you saying you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a white and Asian person?

Yes. Not from skin color. You might have variations of "white," but they're all similar....except for the black guy. He's the radically different one. The one easiest to single out.

What does slavery have to do with minority representation? How many Asian public figures are there? Anyone remember Pearl Harbor if you want to go back and bring up slavery? How about the Alamo? The reason blacks are more abundant or higher in profile is we used to have laws forbidding them from things like sharing a drinking fountain or toilet. Any black that harps on slavery ought to ask what the color was of the entrepeneur that sold him or her back when. Which is worse, selling or buying humans?

Good point. The answer is basically that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Can you name any "Asian leaders" on par with Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? There have been ethnic ghettos of all sorts in this country, yet most decide to move on, assimilate as soon as possible and accept personal responsibility, education and hard work as the path out of adversity.

14 Important Statistics About Asian Americans : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

Most asians who migrate from an impoverished condition have a tendency to work harder due to coming from a third world country. Also most Asian countries emphasize education and a nationalistic sense of self in relation to their community. Hardwork does not always gurantee success. There was a period of time I couldn't find a job. I was on welfare even though I had two bachlor degrees and a masters. My college education and success thereafter, didn't gurantee me a job despite me working hard to obtain them so that hardwork point is moot.

Also immigrants like Asians, Arabs, Africans, Pacific-Islanders all operate on a cultural philosophy of auppporting their community whereas in the greater African-American community there are fragmentations and varying priorities within the community. For example, what I may emphasize here some family in North Carolina may emphasize something different.

Most asians who migrate from an impoverished condition have a tendency to work harder due to coming from a third world country. Also most Asian countries emphasize education and a nationalistic sense of self in relation to their community. Hardwork does not always gurantee success. There was a period of time I couldn't find a job. I was on welfare even though I had two bachlor degrees and a masters. My college education and success thereafter, didn't gurantee me a job despite me working hard to obtain them so that hardwork point is moot.

Also immigrants like Asians, Arabs, Africans, Pacific-Islanders all operate on a cultural philosophy of auppporting their community whereas in the greater African-American community there are fragmentations and varying priorities within the community. For example, what I may emphasize here some family in North Carolina may emphasize something different.

All that you say is true. But you never mentioned racism as the "root cause" of blacks under achievement. Many of the self proclaimed black leaders are simply race hustling, poverty pimps that will never emphasize stopping the socially destructive behavior, such as out of wedlock childbirth, dropping out of HS and refusing to "snitch" when crimes are witnessed. As you note, there are no guarantees of "good jobs", but that does not mean that it can be blamed on "others". When immigrants can come from all over the world, lacking higher education and not even having the benefits of having family/friends here or speaking english well, yet can excel beyond those that have been here for generations - it is not time try to blame "others" but to get your act together and stop doing things that are well known to limit your chances for success.

All that you say is true. But you never mentioned racism as the "root cause" of blacks under achievement. Many of the self proclaimed black leaders are simply race hustling, poverty pimps that will never emphasize stopping the socially destructive behavior, such as out of wedlock childbirth, dropping out of HS and refusing to "snitch" when crimes are witnessed. As you note, there are no guarantees of "good jobs", but that does not mean that it can be blamed on "others". When immigrants can come from all over the world, lacking higher education and not even having the benefits of having family/friends here or speaking english well, yet can excel beyond those that have been here for generations - it is not time try to blame "others" but to get your act together and stop doing things that are well known to limit your chances for success.

The problems that afflict the black community is not merely allocated to just racism alone but a set of multiple conflicts that simply cannot be explained on a forum. I Therefore, it is difficult for civil rights leaders to address every single problem that iarises within the black community so, most civil rights leaders address common problems that effect all blacks, more like a PR representative as opposed of true leadership. I firmly believe the old Protestant truism of "if you work hard enough you'll be successful" isn't always applicable to everyone especially a culture that lived in a society where racism and social injustice has been woven in your cultural history.

Back
Top Bottom