• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Nothing Done About Illegal Immigration?

For some reason it keeps popping up that my message is too short so I added this sentence.

It keeps doing so because words inside quotes do not count towards the number of characters that must be typed in a post for it to be posted. It promotes seperating your words from other peoples.

"For at least 5 years the illegal immigration debate has been on the forefront of American politics and the narrative presented by popular media is that of a nation divided on the question of border control. Routinely organizations that support border control, like the minutemen, are accused of racism and derided for their focus on the Mexican border instead of other sources of illegal immigration.

Despite the personal attacks and biased media coverage the American people have consistently responded to polls in favor of border control strong enough to “halt the flow of illegal immigrants into the US.” In fact a recent Gallup poll pegged the number of U.S. citizens who think border control is important at 94% with 53% saying it was extremely important! This is the highest number this poll has seen since 2006 when a whopping 96% of Americans said border control is important, 43% of which saying it was extremely important."

So why no real push for immigration reform?

Fully Cited Article

Why? Because we're not allowed to own slaves anymore. Seriously. Think about it... most illegals are not employed in sweat shops, but in very local ways, as domestics, landscapers, roofers, cut-rate auto mechanics, etc.

or...

Because they are the ultimate of each party, creating a perfect storm. They make liberal use of the social safety nets, free education, etc the libs keep in place... they pay no taxes, something libertarians have wet dreams about... as a result contributing the straw that broke the camel's fiscal back, bankrupting the country bringing about social anarchy in which the people beg for protection and safety at the expense of their freedom as the neo-con radical change fantasy scenario...

Partisanship aside... Sorry, but in this subject there is no compromise. We tried amnesty once before. Now we have 4-7 times more illegals in our country than when we gave them amnesty the last time. It obviously didn't help one bit. All that it did was encourage more illeals to come to the US. We gave them a chance...now it is time to bring the belt.

I'm constantly amazed that people still think the gov't is so inept that it constantly gets it wrong... by mistake. Follow the money... there you will find your answer... every single freakin' time!

In 2010 the government collected $2,000,000,000,000 (rounded down). That would mean that illegals in California alone only ate 0.5% of all tax income in the United States. Even if that statistic is legitimate (which I doubt it is) it still isn't that impressive considering that would be the largest percentage in the country.

And how much of the tax income do they take from California? Answer: Over 100 billion. A state makes a lot less than the entire country. At least I restricted my comment to the states and not the entire US.

-Obviously, due to the fact that being an illegal immigrant is a crime. Aside from that, how about targeting total crime rates instead of crime rates specifically among illegal immigrants (most of which could be reduced by altering drug policies).

But that is the point. If those illegals were not here those particular crimes would not have been commited here period. But they are here and those crimes are being commited. Should I just look away from from that fact? Should I just shrug it off?

And seriously, blaming it on our drug policies? Ever hear of the words "personal responsibility"?

-As already addressed, it doesn't really amount to much. Short of that, the only people competing with illegal immigrants in the job market are people who didn't graduate high school who are also statistically less likely to be completely honest in paying taxes. It's also been publically stated by economists that the things many people hold as facts about illegal immigrants are generally untrue. And the last statement makes no sense. Why would companies hire more people when they're paying higher wages? They wouldn't.

What? Those that didn't finish highschool don't need jobs? It is partly because of illegals that those that didn't finish highschool have such a hard time finding steady jobs.

As for your statistics...proof please. Because I have yet to find a poor person that cheats on thier tax returns. Hell, how can they cheat? I don't know about you but when I work at a job my boss automatically takes out my taxes and reports what I make to the IRS.

Bold part: Its about supply and demand. The more demand they have (due to a good economy demand is usually higher) the more supplies people need, the more people they need to hire get the job done. So, its either hire more people, or lose out on profits and even possibly thier buisness.

-Really? I'm not even saying anything about this one.

Prolly a good idea.

Last edited:
I'm constantly amazed that people still think the gov't is so inept that it constantly gets it wrong... by mistake. Follow the money... there you will find your answer... every single freakin' time!

Part of it is ineptitude. The other part is greed.

Part of it is ineptitude. The other part is greed.

So... you're saying that without greed they'd still get it wrong just because they are inept?

Do you think for a second that the outcome of the amnesty decision (increased illegals) wasn't known ahead of time? The question isn't why aren't they doing more to keep them out as they profess to want to do on behalf of the American People.. in pure political theater... but becomes WHY do they want to keep the flow of illegals coming. Trust me, if it didn't benefit them or their supporters, it wouldn't be happening.

So... you're saying that without greed they'd still get it wrong just because they are inept?

Partly yes. At least the part that they are already getting wrong anyways. The reason for the ineptitude that is there isn't so much becaues they're "dumb". But because the government is too large. Too much red tape.

Do you think for a second that the outcome of the amnesty decision (increased illegals) wasn't known ahead of time? The question isn't why aren't they doing more to keep them out as they profess to want to do on behalf of the American People.. in pure political theater... but becomes WHY do they want to keep the flow of illegals coming. Trust me, if it didn't benefit them or their supporters, it wouldn't be happening.

I already answered the why here. Greed. Pure and simple. Do you really think that I don't know the stuff that you just said...or at least suspect it? But do you really think that every single politician is on the take? I might be nieve here but I doubt that every single one of them are. I'm sure that there are some that actually do want to limit illegal immigration. They just can't get past the greedy ones.

The way I look at is we don’t have the personnel here to handle it anymore. Our military, my brothers and sisters, are farmed out in other countries where we don’t belong. We should be more focused on our borders to keep them out of our country. I do understand our country has a “huge debt problem” however; we’d save some money to bring our troops here to take care of the one crisis. Otherwise, our tax dollars are going to be spent on “large barriers” that really will do nothing, but cause a slight convenience to those crossing the borders. They always find a way here; therefore we need legitimate ways to stop it.

s
So why no real push for immigration reform?
First of all, the phrase "immigration reform" is more often associated with the left-wing amnesty movement. That's what "immigration reform" means to them and as the term is most frequently used.

There really is no need for immigration reform from a sense of meaning regarding enforcement of our already good immigration law, as the word "reform" implies "change the law".

There is simply nothing wrong with our present good immigration law that really needs to be changed -- our present good immigration law simply needs to be enforced.

Though the great majority of American citizens would like to see our good immigration law enforced, it's not enforced because the minority of Americans are controlling the power and they have agendas against enforcement.

The liberals want amnesty so that those receiving it will vote liberal Democrat (which polls and studies show would be the majority result), and thus the liberals want open borders to enhance the success of their agenda.

The conservatives like the cheap illegal labor for businesses from which their political funding is derived, so though the social conservatives may talk the talk of enforcement, the economic conservatives will never let it happen.

These two groups comprise far less than half of the American citizenry, yet, together, they have essetially all of the power.

So it is understandable why nothing is done about illegal immigration .. and our jobs just keep getting stolen by illegals, like the carpenter replaced by three illegals to whom less is aggregately paid than the carpenter was making, etc.

Again, as I've stated elsewhere, the only solution is a new political party that represents the great majority of American citizens, neither left or right wing in philosophy, that will not only steadfastly enforce our current good immigration laws, but will also take appropriate action to address the complete off-shored jobs problem and return all our jobs to our citizens to whom these American jobs rightfully belong.

Nothing done? More people are being deported per year under Obama than have ever been deported per year in US history. By a significant margin. We have constructed a fence pretty much everywhere the border patrol says it would be of use to them. We have increased spending on border patrol something like 350% in the last 10 years. The number of undocumented immigrants in the US has been dropping for 3 years in a row. Obama has pushed through all kinds of innovative approaches to ferretting out employers of undocumented immigrants.

It isn't like there will ever be zero undocumented immigration. Obviously. It's like the drug war. We can dump as much money on it as we want and some folks will still be complaining that the government ought to do something about it like nothing happened.

Like the drug war, what we really need to be doing is coming up with smarter solutions, not just continuing to dump money on the problem. A guest worker program is painfully obviously the best next step in the campaign against illegal immigration, but many on the right, although they claim they oppose illegal immigration, prevent the only realistic solution to illegal immigration from moving forward.
If that's true, then it's only because of the policies (and results) he inherited from Bush.

Ok, why is illegal immigration such a problem? It's an issue of nativism and keeping the U.S. "white." It actually would make alot more sense to allow illegal immigrants to come here for a few reasons. Well number one, they are a net positive to the economy. They DO also pay taxes, especially sales taxes whenever they buy something. They circulate money throughout the economy. Also, aren't corporations all about exploiting people for the cheapest labor possible? Because they can pay illegals very low wages since these people are illegal. It gives the immigrants jobs, and gives the corporations cheap labor. So I don't see the point in wasting money to stop them from coming here when they will come here anyway, and it benefits our economy.

Too many people on both sides of isle in DC tossing the salad of illegals and the traitors who hire illegals.

The cause of why there are so many scumbags in office tossing the salad of illegals is because a lot of dumb asses vote for people based on party regardless of how politically opposite the candidate is from them and put their party above their own political views and interests. They will even ignore a candidate who shares most of the views they have because they think that candidate will not stand a chance at winning. This is how a RINO like John McCain can keep getting elected. Even though his tongue in deep in the asses of illegals tossing their salad.

They only way you are going to get politicians who oppose illegal immigration and will actually do something about it is to vote for politicians who oppose illegal immigration and will do something to curb or stop it. You don't do this by voting for scum who toss the salad of illegals just because they are in your party or claim to be a liberal, conservative or what ever. Now this may mean you will have to risk the other guy from the other party winning in order to get someone in the next election who will actually do something about illegal immigration.[/QUOTE]

I agree, do you know of any potential future president that will do this? It's not Newt, Mitch, Rick, or Barak.

Ok, why is illegal immigration such a problem? It's an issue of nativism and keeping the U.S. "white." QUOTE]

You lost all credibility with that one.

The issue is very simple. Illegal aliens are in the US illegally. No one that I have seen opposes legal immigration.

You seem to state that illegal aliens are cheap labor. So guess you think that people making very low wages are going to have extra money to spend on items like tv, cars, houses, etc. and that is good for our economy. Have you checked how much US dollars our sent out of the US back to the illegal aliens home country. Search Mexico for start. How are those dollars going to Mexico good for our economy?

So are you of the opinion Nations should not manage immigration or have no right to borders?

Ok, why is illegal immigration such a problem? It's an issue of nativism and keeping the U.S. "white." It actually would make alot more sense to allow illegal immigrants to come here for a few reasons. Well number one, they are a net positive to the economy. They DO also pay taxes, especially sales taxes whenever they buy something. They circulate money throughout the economy. Also, aren't corporations all about exploiting people for the cheapest labor possible? Because they can pay illegals very low wages since these people are illegal. It gives the immigrants jobs, and gives the corporations cheap labor. So I don't see the point in wasting money to stop them from coming here when they will come here anyway, and it benefits our economy.

You lost all credit with the "keeping the US white" remark.
I have not seen any posts from people who oppose illegal immigration also oppose legal immigration.
It is interesting you think illegal aliens cheap labor is good for our economy? Do you have any proof that illegal aliens have a major impact on stimulating the US economy?
Have you checked to see many US dollars get shipped to their country of origin. Try search on how many US dollars are sent to Mexico every year. Those dollars do nothing for our economy.

Are you of the opinion Nations have no right to borders or manage immigration?

IMO, America is in deep trouble if the majority of people shared your view.

Really? Is that the route that you really want to go? The simple way to disabuse yourself of this notion is to look at legal immigration. 99.9% of people that are against illegal aliens have no problem with legal immigration.

As for the rest of your post. Do some actual research on it. Here's a good place to start...

The Impact of Unauthorized Immigrants on the Budgets of State and Local Governments

The tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate for state and local governments do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants.
State and local governments incure costs for providing services to unauthorized immigrants and have limited options for avoiding or minimizing those costs.
Federal aid programs offer resources to state and local governments that provide services to unauthorized immigrants, but those funds do not fully cover costs incurred by those governments.

You lost all credit with the "keeping the US white" remark.
I have not seen any posts from people who oppose illegal immigration also oppose legal immigration.
It is interesting you think illegal aliens cheap labor is good for our economy? Do you have any proof that illegal aliens have a major impact on stimulating the US economy?
Have you checked to see many US dollars get shipped to their country of origin. Try search on how many US dollars are sent to Mexico every year. Those dollars do nothing for our economy.

Are you of the opinion Nations have no right to borders or manage immigration?

IMO, America is in deep trouble if the majority of people shared your view.

Yes, I'm of the opinion that nations have no right to keep people out. So are you so greedy and conceited as to just not even care about these people? Hell, if I lived in a ****hole like Mexico, I'd hop the border in a second. It is way too complicated of a process to become a citizen here, and these people don't have time for that.

Also, yes cheap labor is quite obviously good for the economy, it's simple economics. There is a demand for such day laborers, and don't try to tell me that they're "taking American jobs." Oh yeah, so i'm so sorry that Pancho took that day laborer position you wanted so badly. Like seriously? They take filler jobs that are necessary to keep businesses running. Illegal immigrants are definitely a good thing for the economy. Why even keep them out? Makes zero sense to me.

Really? Is that the route that you really want to go? The simple way to disabuse yourself of this notion is to look at legal immigration. 99.9% of people that are against illegal aliens have no problem with legal immigration.

As for the rest of your post. Do some actual research on it. Here's a good place to start...

The Impact of Unauthorized Immigrants on the Budgets of State and Local Governments

Excuse me, what services are being provided to illegals via our tax money? None. Because they're illegal and aren't subject to federal entitlements. Also, just actually read my post for a second. So, when they are paying taxes, getting jobs, and circulating money through the economy while providing cheap labor for businesses, how is this a bad thing at all?!

Yes, I'm of the opinion that nations have no right to keep people out. So are you so greedy and conceited as to just not even care about these people? Hell, if I lived in a ****hole like Mexico, I'd hop the border in a second. It is way too complicated of a process to become a citizen here, and these people don't have time for that.

Oh yay...an open borders fan. Tell me, what happens to an area when it is overcrowded?

Also, yes cheap labor is quite obviously good for the economy, it's simple economics. There is a demand for such day laborers, and don't try to tell me that they're "taking American jobs." Oh yeah, so i'm so sorry that Pancho took that day laborer position you wanted so badly. Like seriously? They take filler jobs that are necessary to keep businesses running. Illegal immigrants are definitely a good thing for the economy. Why even keep them out? Makes zero sense to me.

A job is a job. Whether it is temporary, a "filler" job (whatever you mean by that) or a full time job. We currently have millions of legal people without a job in the US. What do you propose we do here? How do we make it to where these people get jobs so that they are not a drain on our economy and resources?

Excuse me, what services are being provided to illegals via our tax money? None. Because they're illegal and aren't subject to federal entitlements. Also, just actually read my post for a second. So, when they are paying taxes, getting jobs, and circulating money through the economy while providing cheap labor for businesses, how is this a bad thing at all?!

If you had actually read the link you would know the answer to this as it implicitly names at least 3 services which are provided to illegals. It also shows how they are a drain on state and local governments...despite whatever it is that they do pay in taxes.

And sorry but I would rather believe a report conducted by the CBO than your emotional post.

The Republicans need to realize that if they keep coddling illegals, and not totally stamping out illegal immigration, that due to demographic trends, eventually they will be lost in the annals of history.

It is common sense that Latinos overwhelmingly vote Democrat. So I really don't see the point of Republicans hitting illegals with kid gloves or coddling Latinos, since they will most likely vote Democrat no matter what the GOP does. It's a common perception that the GOP is comprised with a vast amount of white people. With the white population in decline, by mid century, more then half of America will be non-white and vote Democrat; it'll be one hell of an uphill battle for the Republican party to win any elections whatsoever. I think they are befriending Latinos with the hope that when they are the majority, they will not forget, and the GOP can count on their votes, but they are wrong.

In order for the GOP to permanently exist, they need to adopt a much tougher stance on immigration, even if it means being "racist". Any Latino votes lost, and they will surely lose some, if not all by being tougher, equals gained votes by patriotic Americans who want our border secured. I think if a candidate announced that they would round up and deport all illegals immediately, their favorablity ratings would skyrocket overnight! These pathways to amnesty are only prolonging the inevitable.

As soon as Obama is replaced, they need to go all out to ensure the soverignty of this country and the continued existence of the party. Re-instating Operation Wetback is 1 option, and putting the bulk of our military at the border is another. But I suggest that option number 2 is not possible IF we continue to be the world's policemen. If we retract all troops from around the globe, it is only common sense to secure our borders. If Ron Paul is elected, I think our borders can be secured in a month after he is sworn in!

But I think Donald Trump is the establishment's "plan B". If Ron Paul gets the GOP nomination, "The Donald" will be their last chance at making sure the people cannot control their own country.

Last edited:

Since when did we have to take care of the world. So its a complicated process, yet thousands follow the process each year and legally migrate to the US and become US citizens. They don't have time? Yet some can afford to pay thousands to coyotes to help them come in illegally? Yep, just what we need, people who run away from their country because as you stated its a ****hole and don't have the courage to improve their own country.

Its been posted before, research does not support your "cheap labor" rant. Illegal aliens have less than 5% impact on the price of food, etc.

Ok, why is illegal immigration such a problem? It's an issue of nativism and keeping the U.S. "white." It actually would make alot more sense to allow illegal immigrants to come here for a few reasons. Well number one, they are a net positive to the economy. They DO also pay taxes, especially sales taxes whenever they buy something. They circulate money throughout the economy. Also, aren't corporations all about exploiting people for the cheapest labor possible? Because they can pay illegals very low wages since these people are illegal. It gives the immigrants illegal aliens jobs, and gives the corporations cheap labor. So I don't see the point in wasting money to stop them from coming here when they will come here anyway, and it benefits our economy.

Care to prove that?

Prove this, as well.

We have over 20 millions illegals in our country, and they take jobs that Americans would have worked.

Care to prove that?

Prove this, as well.

We have over 20 millions illegals in our country, and they take jobs that Americans would have worked.

bull****. they take jobs that Americans often don't want & refuse to do.

just look at what's happening in Alabama. illegal aliens have vanished, and the citizens refuse to fill in the gaps where the jobs have opened up. why? cause the work is too physically demanding and monotonous for lazy Americans who think they're too good for menial labor that's boring.

if I was unemployed, I'd just hang out with the illegals by Home Depot, and do low-level construction. those jobs exist all over, but they are hard work and many Americans are too ****ing lazy & engrained with a false sense of entitlement, to do them.

Last edited:
bull****. they take jobs that Americans often don't want & refuse to do.

just look at what's happening in Alabama. illegal aliens have vanished, and the citizens refuse to fill in the gaps where the jobs have opened up. why? cause the work is too physically demanding and monotonous for lazy Americans who think they're too good for menial labor that's boring.

if I was unemployed, I'd just hang out with the illegals by Home Depot, and do low-level construction. those jobs exist all over, but they are hard work and many Americans are too ****ing lazy & engrained with a false sense of entitlement, to do them.

I've done multiple types of farmwork and I've worked in construction. Sorry, but this doesn't fly.

I've done multiple types of farmwork and I've worked in construction. Sorry, but this doesn't fly.

you're the exception to the rule.

I am confident that a good 30% of our unemploployed would get jobs if they just bite the bullet and do menial labor work currently taken by illegals.

Back
Top Bottom