• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Miriam Adelson a Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient?

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump gave Miriam Adelson the Presidential Medal of Freedom. That award is given "for especially meritorious contributions to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

What has that woman done that's so meritorious? I dare say everyone I know has accomplished more than she has, even if all they have done is develop an illustrious career in corporate America. Hell, I suspect one could stroll the streets of NYC and in mere minutes find a dozen people who've got more meritorious accomplishments than she. Go to the opera and read the list of donors and one'll find people who've done more for the country than has Mrs. Adelson.

Trump gave Miriam Adelson the Presidential Medal of Freedom. That award is given "for especially meritorious contributions to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

What has that woman done that's so meritorious? I dare say everyone I know has accomplished more than she has, even if all they have done is develop an illustrious career in corporate America. Hell, I suspect one could stroll the streets of NYC and in mere minutes find a dozen people who've got more meritorious accomplishments than she. Go to the opera and read the list of donors and one'll find people who've done more for the country than has Mrs. Adelson.

Perhpas shes the Maria Butina of another Nation. Perhaps $100 million of Sheldon Adelson's booty found its' way to RNC coffers, but influencing the USA electorate by electioneering financing. No indeedy. It do sound fishy, but I remember GWBush giving the same medal to the author of the Iraqi WMD lies. A job well done, eh? You act like some act of meritious value should be attached to the medal. Hypocrisy is right at home in the USA political circus.
/

Perhpas shes the Maria Butina of another Nation. Perhaps $100 million of Sheldon Adelson's booty found its' way to RNC coffers, but influencing the USA electorate by electioneering financing. No indeedy. It do sound fishy, but I remember GWBush giving the same medal to the author of the Iraqi WMD lies. A job well done, eh? You act like some act of meritious value should be attached to the medal. Hypocrisy is right at home in the USA political circus.
/

You’re selling the Adelson’s short; 133,000,000!

Watched it on TV. Gagging as it was a clear political payoff.
The damage this man does to the Office is beyond disgusting, passed that mark some time ago.

/

I suppose one, to some degree expects such things; however, when a candidate goes out of his way to assure us that his wealth makes him unbeholden to others and yet comports himself no differently than do those whom he'd describe as having been beholden to others, well....

I followed this when it was first announced. All I could find of note, was she's a huge Trump & GOP donor and ardent supporter.

She's done extensive work and research on substance addiction.

Watched it on TV. Gagging as it was a clear political payoff.
The damage this man does to the Office is beyond disgusting, passed that mark some time ago.

It cheapens the MOH awards he has participated in, imo.

/
In 2018 alone, she & her husband gave 30M to the GOP House super pac, 25M to the GOP Senate super pac, and "tens of millions" to the Republican Party. So a 100M, does not sound out of the realm.

In 2018 alone, she & her husband gave 30M to the GOP House super pac, 25M to the GOP Senate super pac, and "tens of millions" to the Republican Party. So a 100M, does not sound out of the realm.

Her citation - "Donating above and beyond the call of buying influence."

Bigger question: who gives a flip? Do you guys just search for things to be pissed off about? Obama gave Oprah one, not like she was tight with her donations, right?

I do not know a single drug addict who has ever received any help from Miriam Adelson or any clinic that bears her name, or any foundation she has participated in.
Maybe the addicts I knew weren't in the right income bracket?
red herring. Just curious, thought - did you personally interview every drug addict you know in the time between when I made that post and you responded to it? Or are you just bull****ting?

Resist, Resist, Resist; lather, rinse, repeat.

Bigger question: who gives a flip? Do you guys just search for things to be pissed off about? Obama gave Oprah one, not like she was tight with her donations, right?

Clearly you don't give a flip but you're mighty quick with the tu quoque defense, so maybe you do give a flip.

red herring. Just curious, thought - did you personally interview every drug addict you know in the time between when I made that post and you responded to it? Or are you just bull****ting?

Why would I need to interview them if I knew them?
I guarantee you that the ones who beat it (including myself) know who helped, and who didn't.
If there was an Adelson name attached to anything that helped, an addict who managed to escape and become clean would remember, and they would be grateful.

Common sense, you know?

ME: Twenty-six years clean, thanks to AA.
No Adelsons contributed to my sobriety, nor the sobriety of any of the people I knew and still know today.

Because the question of their interaction with Dr Addleson just became a question.

Like I just said, when you get rescued, you tend to remember whoever it was that reached out.

Why would I need to interview them if I knew them?
I guarantee you that the ones who beat it (including myself) know who helped, and who didn't.
If there was an Adelson name attached to anything that helped, an addict who managed to escape and become clean would remember, and they would be grateful.

Common sense, you know?
Ok, I'm not interested in a pee-pee contest over why she deserved an award.
Checkerboard Strangler said:
ME: Twenty-six years clean, thanks to AA.
No Adelsons contributed to my sobriety, nor the sobriety of any of the people I knew and still know today.
Congrats on your sobriety.

By the way, here's the sum total of Ms. Adelson's involvement in addiction:
She runs (or ran in the past) a small methadone clinic in Las Vegas.

By the way, much of their funding is through the following:

Nevada Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services (MHDS), Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Agency (SAPTA) through the Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment (SAPT) Block Grant from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).

These are TAXPAYER FUNDED agencies. The Adelsons, who are BILLIONAIRES, are not the primary funding source. We the taxpayers are.

The problem is, most METHADONE clinics are viewed as unwanted neighbors by area residents where they are located. Scores of NIMBY's usually gather together to protest the opening of a methadone clinic in their neighborhood.

They're most often cast as unwelcome facilities no matter where they are located.

IMG_9364.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom