• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Mexico lawless and Canada not?

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think it is because of the economic difference between the middle and the lower class. And I think that is why the US is having more problems because of that same difference.

I think Mexico is largely "lawless" because of the government and the cartels. It's likely a host of things but economics is certainly a factor. I don't see the U.S. as even having remotely the same issues as Mexico. Heck, our lower class is very well off comparatively speaking.

Reactions: PoS
Mexico at times seems not far off from being a failed state. I'd be curious hear what people think. I think it's governance. I realize the MAGAs think of Mexican immigrants as dirty criminals and sometimes rapists, but the reality is that most immigrants from Mexico represent the nation's best and brightest, moving to their northern neighbor for a better life. It can't be good for a nation when so many of its best people are constantly trying to leave for the country next door--that would just further the depletion of talent and horsepower.

Canada has a population of 38 million right next to the US border, Mexico 120 million mouths to feed. Mexico has a much more violent history of declaring independence from the Spanish, fighting the French, and going through multiple cycles of Revolution

I think it is because of the economic difference between the middle and the lower class. And I think that is why the US is having more problems because of that same difference.
In Mexico you are either rich or you are poor. It's becoming that way here in the US. Only rich people can afford to go to sporting events or concerts. The purchasing power of all citizen is way down. This doesn't effect the rich but it does make the poor way worse off. This country is becoming a dump and lawlessness is on it's way.

I think Mexico is largely "lawless" because of the government and the cartels. It's likely a host of things but economics is certainly a factor. I don't see the U.S. as even having remotely the same issues as Mexico. Heck, our lower class is very well off comparatively speaking.
But the lower class of the lower class are becoming a criminal class. We do not want a new Mafia especially when their leaders are just south of the border.

Mexico works pretty well, what I've seen. I've lived here since early November in a working class neighbourhood and it looks like grassroots capitalism working the way it has for decades. Working better than the oligarchy that passes for capitalism in the north.
I've been panhandled twice since I got here and I can't walk down a block in downtown Vancouver without being panhandled three or four times.
The medical system works like North Americans wish theirs would and the cost of living, away from the tourist hellholes, is within everyone's reach.

But the lower class of the lower class are becoming a criminal class. We do not want a new Mafia especially when their leaders are just south of the border.
What exactly is the lower class of the lower class? Criminals? Homeless? Illegals?

Canada has a population of 38 million right next to the US border, Mexico 120 million mouths to feed. Mexico has a much more violent history of declaring independence from the Spanish, fighting the French, and going through multiple cycles of Revolution

If I am not mistaken Mexico also had a few minor scrapes with its northern neighbour which left it an amputee

Because Mexico had its wealth extracted by the Spanish Empire, whereas Canada's wealth was kept in country, but controlled by white-supremacist settlers.

What wealth was extracted by the Spanish Empire? Mexico has been an independent country for 200 years, and the Spanish empire has been little more than a joke for most of that time.

Because Mexico wasn’t based on Anglo principles of government

Because Mexico had its wealth extracted by the Spanish Empire, whereas Canada's wealth was kept in country, but controlled by white-supremacist settlers.
Meaning controlled by people who knew how to manage wealth? Lol that’s apparently now “white supremacy”

The left is a philosophy built on daddy issues exhibit A

because cartels control much of Mexico -nothing to do with economic class
The drug war in Mexico is one of the most violent conflicts on the planet with cartel activity permeating through many levels of the Mexican economy and society. Cartel conflicts continue to drive violence across Mexico,
GG_RiskMapAnalysis_Mexico_v1%20(1).png

Mexico works pretty well, what I've seen. I've lived here since early November in a working class neighbourhood and it looks like grassroots capitalism working the way it has for decades. Working better than the oligarchy that passes for capitalism in the north.
I've been panhandled twice since I got here
Lol. Don’t act like beggars are not common in Mexico. I am in Mexico all the time.
and I can't walk down a block in downtown Vancouver without being panhandled three or four times.
Because the people you politically supported wanted those people in Vancouver.
The medical system works like North Americans wish theirs would
Yeah for foreigners with money. It really helps when you don’t have to have the type of insurance or unfunded mandates common in North America. It’s amazing because if you proposed eliminating continuing education for doctors and restructuring the legal system to eliminate malpractice liability I am sure there would be issues, medicine works for Americans in Mexico because it’s all cash and has low regulation. It’s why I do dental work in Mexico, but if you ever get a bad doctor good luck getting a peso out of him
and the cost of living, away from the tourist hellholes, is within everyone's reach.
Well yeah, if Vancouver zoned for favelas then there would be a lot of housing their too.

It’s funny that now leftists are extolling Mexico as the example of an egalitarian society that works for the common man. 😆

And just so what we’re clear, I have no problem with Mexico or Mexican people, I am married to a Mexican American woman and visit Mexico frequently. I just find it hilarious that now this guy is retired and presumably lives on a Canadian pension and investments and likely the sale of a home in Vancouver he’s like “wow Mexico is so great when you have money this must by working class paradise” like my in laws when they moved to America they were astounded at the very idea of a food bank, people with extra money don’t donate food to a place where the poor can get it. The Mexican state makes no real effort to help the materially poor, money which is earmarked for social programs is largely stolen before ever seeing the intended recipients, the police are corrupt and supplement low salaries by extorting low level offenders for bribes, it is a hugely dysfunctional society if you don’t have a lifetime of acquired capital from Vancouver

because cartels control much of Mexico -nothing to do with economic class
The drug war in Mexico is one of the most violent conflicts on the planet with cartel activity permeating through many levels of the Mexican economy and society. Cartel conflicts continue to drive violence across Mexico,
GG_RiskMapAnalysis_Mexico_v1%20(1).png
I had heard the Russian mafia controlled the cartels. A proxy war using drugs.

I had heard the Russian mafia controlled the cartels. A proxy war using drugs.
The birth of Mexico’s major cartel can be traced to Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo, nicknamed “The Godfather,” who in the 1980s became the country’s liaison with Colombian cocaine trafficker Pablo Escobar of the infamous Medellín cartel.

Gallardo went increasingly underground after the arrest of his cartel’s co-founder, Rafael Caro Quintero, for the murder of U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Agent Enrique Camarena in 1985, and the drug lord later held a summit among Mexico’s larger drug traffickers. The meeting divided up Mexico into “plazas” — or regions — to be controlled by various drug-trafficking organizations....
The agreement solidified major players in the trade, including the Sinaloa Federation and the Arellano Félix brothers of Tijuana.

Since then, drug lords have come and gone — and new groups have risen to power as loyalties fade, political protection changes, and killings and arrests leave vacuums in leadership to be filled.

The birth of Mexico’s major cartel can be traced to Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo, nicknamed “The Godfather,” who in the 1980s became the country’s liaison with Colombian cocaine trafficker Pablo Escobar of the infamous Medellín cartel.

Gallardo went increasingly underground after the arrest of his cartel’s co-founder, Rafael Caro Quintero, for the murder of U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Agent Enrique Camarena in 1985, and the drug lord later held a summit among Mexico’s larger drug traffickers. The meeting divided up Mexico into “plazas” — or regions — to be controlled by various drug-trafficking organizations....
The agreement solidified major players in the trade, including the Sinaloa Federation and the Arellano Félix brothers of Tijuana.

Since then, drug lords have come and gone — and new groups have risen to power as loyalties fade, political protection changes, and killings and arrests leave vacuums in leadership to be filled.
Yes they were working with Moscow when Trotsky was assassinated in Mexico City.

Yes they were working with Moscow when Trotsky was assassinated in Mexico City.
regrettably they were also working with Moscow to oppose the Great Francisco Franco in Spain.

High levels of poverty lead to crime.

Not a complicated set of incentives, gang.

It benefits criminals and governments alike to have a weak lawless state on their border.

Back
Top Bottom