• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Is Japan Arming Itself?

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
For the same reason Americans are buying up guns and ammo. They don't trust Zero.

Things are getting scary on the west side of the Pacific rim. The Japanese don't trust Obama to watch their back. They know that all the Chinese have to say is "Boo!" and Obama will throw them under the bus. There's no faith in "smart diplomacy."

For the same reason Americans are buying up guns and ammo. They don't trust Zero.

Things are getting scary on the west side of the Pacific rim. The Japanese don't trust Obama to watch their back. They know that all the Chinese have to say is "Boo!" and Obama will throw them under the bus. There's no faith in "smart diplomacy."

Obama has definitely made the world a more dangerous place.

...and I thought that I could never think more poorly of a President than Bush.

Good. In my opinion I do not think that we as Americans should have to be the first defensive force to a sovereign nation such as Japan - especially if they're just frightened. Let them beef up their defense even more than 3% :twocents:

Holy **** the article literally has NOTHING TO DO WITH OBAMA.

But I guess there's no cure for Obama Derangement Syndrome.

I would say an expansionist china is more likely the cause.

Yep, just a coincidence that Japan decides to increase defense spending while Obama is president.

Ummmm...increase by 3 whole percent. Not exactly an arms race.

Obama has definitely made the world a more dangerous place.
With a trade deficit like this I would like to know why it's only a 3% increase in defense spending. :roll:

2013 : U.S. trade in goods with Japan

NOTE: All figures are in millions of U.S. dollars on a nominal basis, not seasonally adjusted unless otherwise specified. Details may not equal totals due to rounding.
MonthExportsImportsBalance
January 2013 5,135.0 11,227.3 -6,092.4
February 2013 5,043.3 10,973.4 -5,930.1
March 2013 5,568.2 12,123.6 -6,555.4
April 2013 5,050.0 11,992.0 -6,942.0
May 2013 5,785.2 11,190.4 -5,405.2
June 2013 5,660.6 11,183.9 -5,523.2
July 2013 5,157.4 11,971.3 -6,813.8
TOTAL 2013 37,399.7 80,661.8 -43,262.

With a trade deficit like this I would like to know why it's only a 3% increase in defense spending. :roll:

2013 : U.S. trade in goods with Japan

NOTE: All figures are in millions of U.S. dollars on a nominal basis, not seasonally adjusted unless otherwise specified. Details may not equal totals due to rounding.
MonthExportsImportsBalance
January 2013 5,135.0 11,227.3 -6,092.4
February 2013 5,043.3 10,973.4 -5,930.1
March 2013 5,568.2 12,123.6 -6,555.4
April 2013 5,050.0 11,992.0 -6,942.0
May 2013 5,785.2 11,190.4 -5,405.2
June 2013 5,660.6 11,183.9 -5,523.2
July 2013 5,157.4 11,971.3 -6,813.8
TOTAL 2013 37,399.7 80,661.8 -43,262.

After WW2 we were supposed to be responsible for their security.

Point is it's a bigger increase than they have had in a very long time, there must be a reason.

They are trying to stimulate their economy, and if you had China playing war games off your coast, it might be a prudent decision...

After WW2 we were supposed to be responsible for their security.
Well if folks like you want to be responsible for Japan's security go ahead and open your wallets and do so. :shrug:

They are trying to stimulate their economy, and if you had China playing war games off your coast, it might be a prudent decision...

Definitely agree with this post! :thumbs:

And this is relevant to the OP how?

It points out that Japan is not making a big increase in their military. This thread is a good example of some one making a thread about issues he does not understand.

It points out that Japan is not making a big increase in their military. This thread is a good example of some one making a thread about issues he does not understand.

Nice spin!:lol: You are ignoring the fact that it is the biggest increase in over 20 years.

I sincerely hope so. They are our best bet for giant mecha in my lifetime.

Holy **** the article literally has NOTHING TO DO WITH OBAMA.

But I guess there's no cure for Obama Derangement Syndrome.

I'm sure it's Bush's fault.

Cons bitch and demand the world should do more to shoulder the burden of defense and when nations SLIGHTLY do, these Cons try and claim it is a bad thing with the usual blame Obama rant... :roll:

If a Con was in the White House there would be chants of about damn time. Fact is BushII showed the world how fragile our military is. Our defense has become a sprinter- capable of hard fast starts but no endurance as the 'operation tempo' damn near broke the ground forces. The cost of our military is so steep and requires so much support- that is highly vulnerable to interdiction by anything more mountain tribes- a prudent nation near another power country will either increase it's defense or reconsider just how important the USofA is to them.

The cost of our defense per boot on the ground is staggeringly high and the ability to maintain it critically poor.

Back
Top Bottom