• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is it that ----------------------

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?
 

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
Moderator
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
108,512
Reaction score
52,729
Location
Bradenton Fla
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Maybe I am just odd, but the biggest thing I vote for is how well a candidate represents my beliefs and stances on issues.
 

Socrates1

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
469
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

In Trump's case voters are tired of politicians that only do what the lobbyist dictate ! He appeals to the WORKING middle class that have watched their jobs exported to third World Countries . The TAXPAYERS tired of paying for 20 million illegals that refuse to learn OUR language . Tired of only 47% of the population WORKING and providing for the other 53% . Tire of wasteful spending and billions in pet projects benefiting lobbyist ! And in the case of Bernie , well anyone BUT Hillary , nothing more needs to be said !
 

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 4, 2015
Messages
5,849
Reaction score
2,426
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

Here is a really interesting article from RCP that breaks down this question based on the data. One of the main reasons is that we simply don't know how Kasich or Sanders would react to being in the spotlight and the negative attention that comes from being the frontrunner. On top of that, if you look at the data from the primaries thus far - Sanders is the only one with a reasonable argument in terms of how many independents they have brought into their camp. He has won independents by a significant amount, but those independents are mostly left-leaning. In most states Hillary still wins the centrist vote. Kasich has an even worse case - Kasich just does not even win amongst independents in any of the primaries (except Ohio).
 

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
14,185
Reaction score
8,767
Location
Houston
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

We have forgotten the virtue of things like honesty, fair dealing, sanity and civil discourse. Those things no longer matter to most people, apparently. If a candidate supports the right of people to kill little babies in the womb then for many people it trumps the fact that the candidate lies and has broken the law, for example. For another example, if a candidate talks about punishing industries that offshore then for many people it trumps the fact that this candidate is a sorry sorry lying narcissistic piece of trash. So we end up with candidates who are liars, criminals, and scum.
 

Frank Apisa

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,492
Reaction score
2,718
Location
New Jersey
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
In Trump's case voters are tired of politicians that only do what the lobbyist dictate ! He appeals to the WORKING middle class that have watched their jobs exported to third World Countries . The TAXPAYERS tired of paying for 20 million illegals that refuse to learn OUR language . Tired of only 47% of the population WORKING and providing for the other 53% . Tire of wasteful spending and billions in pet projects benefiting lobbyist ! And in the case of Bernie , well anyone BUT Hillary , nothing more needs to be said !

Yeah, they should all be speaking American...and no other language.
 

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
It just strikes me as odd and I would think most people would want their party to win. Since both Sanders and Kasich have the best chances of beating the other side and don't have high unfavorables, I would think voters would want to vote for them in order to have their best chance of winning. What's the purpose of voting for Trump if you know he is going to lose the general? The Democrats of course have a little more confidence in beating Trump but wouldn't they rather go with someone who looks like even more of a sure thing than Hillary? Polls show Sanders would handily beat any of the three Republican candidates.
 

Crovax

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
14,484
Reaction score
7,998
Location
South Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

They havent been attacked, and low name recognition leaves usually a bigger share of undecided voters
 

RabidAlpaca

Engineer
Suspended
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
22,725
Reaction score
29,748
Location
American Refugee in Europe
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Maybe I am just odd, but the biggest thing I vote for is how well a candidate represents my beliefs and stances on issues.

And to you Hillary Clinton is the principled guardian of "very liberal" ideas? She's a neocon war-hawk that's about as far right as you can get in the Democratic party.

In Trump's case voters are tired of politicians that only do what the lobbyist dictate ! He appeals to the WORKING middle class that have watched their jobs exported to third World Countries . The TAXPAYERS tired of paying for 20 million illegals that refuse to learn OUR language . Tired of only 47% of the population WORKING and providing for the other 53% . Tire of wasteful spending and billions in pet projects benefiting lobbyist ! And in the case of Bernie , well anyone BUT Hillary , nothing more needs to be said !

You're saying 53% of the country is unemployed and just taking money from the other 47%? Can you show us some sources to back that up?
 

fmw

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
12,361
Reaction score
3,358
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

No they just want to take the "establishment" out. They want to blow up Washington. Kasich is certainly electable and competent. But he is the establishment. Seems pretty obvious to me.
 

Frank Apisa

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,492
Reaction score
2,718
Location
New Jersey
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I think Hillary Clinton has a much better chance of beating the eventual Republican nominee than Bernie Sanders. I think Sanders can win...but it will be a major league uphill effort for him.

Hillary is by far the better candidate.

I think that is why...
 

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
No they just want to take the "establishment" out. They want to blow up Washington. Kasich is certainly electable and competent. But he is the establishment. Seems pretty obvious to me.

It seems obvious to me that by voting for Trump, these voters want the Democrats to win.
 

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I think Hillary Clinton has a much better chance of beating the eventual Republican nominee than Bernie Sanders. I think Sanders can win...but it will be a major league uphill effort for him.

Hillary is by far the better candidate.

I think that is why...

But that's not what the polls show. Sanders does much better than Clinton against all Repubican nominees, including Kasich.
 

Socrates1

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
469
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Yeah, they should all be speaking American...and no other language.

They can speak their language to family and friends and those that understand them BUT if you have children entering school why should taxpayers pay for two teachers in each classroom ? Why should we have to press #1 ?

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American . . . There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have no room for but one flag, the American Flag . . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language . . . and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt, From a letter
 

Frank Apisa

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,492
Reaction score
2,718
Location
New Jersey
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
But that's not what the polls show. Sanders does much better than Clinton against all Repubican nominees, including Kasich.

Yeah...and the polls showed Truman did not have a chance against Dewey.

I love Bernie Sanders...but there is no way Bernie Sanders can get elected in today's America.

NO WAY! America at this moment in time is NOT ready for someone identifying as a Socialist...no matter how that word is qualified.

Somehow...some way...those polls are out of kilter.

Bernie Sanders cannot win...and Hillary Clinton can.

That is my answer to your question, MR.
 

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
Moderator
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
32,303
Reaction score
36,346
Location
Somewhere in Babylon...
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We have forgotten the virtue of things like honesty, fair dealing, sanity and civil discourse. Those things no longer matter to most people, apparently.

Yeah... This, followed by this:

If a candidate supports the right of people to kill little babies in the womb then for many people it trumps the fact that the candidate lies and has broken the law

:doh

For all the lies and trash you post LowDown, it's always nice to see hypocrisy exposed within one sentence of eachother.
 

Frank Apisa

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,492
Reaction score
2,718
Location
New Jersey
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
They can speak their language to family and friends and those that understand them BUT if you have children entering school why should taxpayers pay for two teachers in each classroom ? Why should we have to press #1 ?

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American . . . There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have no room for but one flag, the American Flag . . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language . . . and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt, From a letter

Teddy Roosevelt doesn't have the final word on this.

I wish the Spanish speaking immigrants would learn English also...and many do so. Some don't.

My grandmother and grandfather on both sides spoke almost no English...only Italian. Maybe that is why I empathize with these folk more than some of you.

AND...English is a foreign language also.
 

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
55,383
Reaction score
20,386
Location
Florida
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
It seems obvious to me that by voting for Trump, these voters want the Democrats to win.

And if the GOP denies Trump the nomination don't be surprised if he endorses Hillary. He is not the forgiving type.
 

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
And if the GOP denies Trump the nomination don't be surprised if he endorses Hillary. He is not the forgiving type.

That would be funny to see, Trump endorsing Hillary. I can see the Chris Christie expression on her face now.
 

Carleen

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
8,009
Reaction score
3,335
Location
New Jersey
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

The question is which candidate on the GOP or on the dem will be able to work with the house and senate to get things done.
 

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
53,813
Reaction score
10,860
Location
Kentucky
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The question is which candidate on the GOP or on the dem will be able to work with the house and senate to get things done.

Kasich could work with them but I don't see "them" working with Sanders.
 

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
25,357
Reaction score
11,555
Location
Post-Trump America
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
It just strikes me as odd and I would think most people would want their party to win. Since both Sanders and Kasich have the best chances of beating the other side and don't have high unfavorables, I would think voters would want to vote for them in order to have their best chance of winning. What's the purpose of voting for Trump if you know he is going to lose the general? The Democrats of course have a little more confidence in beating Trump but wouldn't they rather go with someone who looks like even more of a sure thing than Hillary? Polls show Sanders would handily beat any of the three Republican candidates.

Don't worry MR, I think that's exactly what the delegates are thinking, at least on the Republican Side. It will be a Cruz Kasich fight for delegates at the convention. Trump doesn't even know what a delegate is and he lacks any ground game to convince delegates to vote for him on a second ballot. Once delegates see he can't hold on to the support he has inside the party they will easily change their minds and vote for someone who would beat Hillary.

I'm not so sure about Mr. Sanders chances at the convention due to the Clinton political operative network, but with a few more surprise wins up his sleeve he could definitely force the Democrats to have a contested convention as well. There are cracks in the network starting with what happened to her in 2008. It could happen but it's even less likely than a Republican Contested convention, and that's almost guaranteed at this point
 

joG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
43,839
Reaction score
9,638
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Independent
Sanders has the best chance of beating a Republican in the general election but voters are voting for Hillary, who has very high unfavorables?

Kasich has the best chance of beating Democrats in the general election but voters are voting for Trump, who has very high unfavorables?

Has all of the country gone mad? Are we drinking too much Michigan water?

Kasich has an outsider chance in an open convention as a compromise. BS might still have a chance. The idea makes mit sad.
 

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
14,185
Reaction score
8,767
Location
Houston
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Yeah... This, followed by this:



:doh

For all the lies and trash you post LowDown, it's always nice to see hypocrisy exposed within one sentence of eachother.

Sorry, but calling certain politicians out for dishonesty and law breaking is a virtue, not a vice.
 

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
14,185
Reaction score
8,767
Location
Houston
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Kasich could work with them but I don't see "them" working with Sanders.

Sanders knows what the deal is in Congress. He'll be able to get a few things done, just not the things his followers like so much. No even with a Democratic congress.
 
Top Bottom