• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is it often very difficult for governments and politicians to make ‘correct’ decisions?

VeroMog

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In a Crisis situation for example, during a terrorist attack..

Kind of a broad question...makes it hard to give a good answer.

You might start with specifying which governments...which politicians...and what you consider "correct" (or "incorrect") decisions.

Anyway...

Howdy Doody, VeroMog!! Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, Mycroft!

I know it is a very broad question. The very question perhaps is: what is correct? for many, a decision may be considered correct for others not. It is very difficult indeed.

Some factors may cause to make the "wrong" decision, like the quality of the team, the advisors, the lack of expertise.

Take Benghazi for example. The American heroes on the ground had no trouble assessing the unfolding situation and dealing with if for hours before succumbing to injuries as their superiors in Washington watch in cowering fear, refusing to send in reinforcements and not knowing what to do for fears of what political impact that might have on the Obama campaign.

indeed, politics also consider a party, nation, special interests like the business but they also calculate what the episode will do their own careers.

indeed, politics also consider a party, nation, special interests like the business but they also calculate what the episode will do their own careers.

Sadly their own careers come before doing anything, right or wrong. Let's take the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, I mean massacre sorry, as an example. America was outraged killing these young kids in cold blood. Outraged and we got thoughts and prayers. How many more have taken place since then? And we got thoughts and prayers. Special interests and common sense don't mix. Keeping their seats and special interests do however make wonderful bedfellows. Doing nothing after these never ending events makes one complicit in my opinion. And now all the second amendment folks can fire away at me. Never give an inch, right? Wrong is being a police officer and when shots fired inside a school are reported, they stay outside. Too many of our decisions are made not with the public's best interests taken into consideration.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

This question actually popped in my mind after watching "Crisis Command — Could You Run the Country?" is a BBC2 role-playing interactive drama documentary which was based on realistic scenarios and dramatised situations that Britain could face one day. There were three captains of industry which gathered in the Crisis Command centre, acting as ministers having to make tough decisions over how to sort out a fictional crisis. During the show they were given situations and as a team have to come up with the correct response from the two, three or four they have been offered. Incorrect decisions costed LIVES and spoiled THE ECONOMY. Just an interesting view.

Back
Top Bottom