• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is it a crime?

Awesome!

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why is it a crime for women to be topless in public in the US? Is this a blatant double standard, a sexist double standard or is there some logic behind why a women has to cover up their breasts and a man doesn't for the most part? We can play pick up basketball at the park, beach, jogging without covering up etc. etc. but women can't?

Because female nipples are evil and having them out in the open will traumatize children, contribute to the deterioration of the family, and cause the eventual downfall of society.

THINK OF TEH CHILDRENZ!!

Not sure, but I'm assuming it's because womens' breasts are considered a sexual trait, and men's, as a general rule, aren't.

Because female nipples are evil and having them out in the open will traumatize children, contribute to the deterioration of the family, and cause the eventual downfall of society.

THINK OF TEH CHILDRENZ!!

Hah!:mrgreen:
I think that's already happening, and didn't have anything to do with nipples.;)

I wouldn't mind if more women went topless :shrug:

Don't get upset when people stare though.

Why is it a crime for women to be topless in public in the US? Is this a blatant double standard, a sexist double standard or is there some logic behind why a women has to cover up their breasts and a man doesn't for the most part? We can play pick up basketball at the park, beach, jogging without covering up etc. etc. but women can't?

My city's chill; it's not a crime here.
We even have a clothing-optional county park, out by the lake. Possibly the only "nude park" in the US financed by tax dollars.
It's 18 and over now, but it was all ages until 1995, and was popular with families.

Hippie Hollow Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas Penal Code 21.08 INDECENT EXPOSURE

(a) A person commits an
offense if he exposes his anus or any part of his genitals with
intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person, and he
is reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or
alarmed by his act.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

Texas Penal Code - Section 21.08. Indecent Exposure - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

^ exposing one's breasts in public is actually not illegal in my state, although some municipalities may have their own ordinances aimed at keeping breasts under wraps.

It's really kind of hard to pass those sorts of laws without seeming to persecute nursing mothers and their babies, and few people are willing to stand for that.

Last edited:

THINK OF TEH CHILDRENZ!!

Does that mean we need to ban breast feeding, in the name of saving our nation's children from being witlessly poisoned by mothers who don't know the true nature of their nipples?

Are you from Mars????? :roll: FEMALE boobs are sex-related objects. MALE boobs are NOT.

Understand Alien boy??? Or girl? WhatEVER the heck you are

Are you from Mars????? :roll: FEMALE boobs are sex-related objects. MALE boobs are NOT.

Understand Alien boy??? Or girl? WhatEVER the heck you are

Yes I understand that 60 to 90% of a women's breasts can be exposed but noooooooooooo, the nipple under no circumstances shall be exposed. There is no bloody logic.

It is a blatant double standard. Men should have to wear clothes when out in public, too.

I fully support Rivrrat's right to show us her nipples.

edit: I'll show everyone mine if it helps.

Last edited:
Yes I understand that 60 to 90% of a women's breasts can be exposed but noooooooooooo, the nipple under no circumstances shall be exposed. There is no bloody logic.

So having common sense and an understanding of decency is to go through life without logic?

Maybe it's just me, but a woman who wishes to expose herself in that manner is probably a whore. I am not saying that women that dress up can't also be whores, but there are some similarities between a liberal and the word loose.

So having common sense and an understanding of decency is to go through life without logic?

Maybe it's just me, but a woman who wishes to expose herself in that manner is probably a whore. I am not saying that women that dress up can't also be whores, but there are some similarities between a liberal and the word loose.

Do you have some sort of problem with whores, or what?

Do you have some sort of problem with whores, or what?

Yea, they **** block you as soon as they figure out that you know humping them is like ringing a bell. Can't hit both sides at once. It also bringings out the fat in them.

When you are in a private venue, wear what you wish, or nothing at all. Your choice.

When you are in a "shared space" (like the living room of an apartment you share with two other people), you should wear what is appropriate and acceptible to those whom you share that space with.

Out in public, you wear what is considered acceptible to the majority of the public. This is known as "public decency" and it is a standard set by society based on what we want to see going on in an open public place where anyone and everyone might see.

The standard may seem arbitrary but it is based on societal norms. A certain amount of conformity to societal norms in public is important. There's a reason why we forbid sex in public places where anyone might walk up and see: its not something that most people want to stumble across when they're taking a walk in the park or the mall. Similarly, many of us would prefer not to see 300 pound persons walking around nude on the street, or 70yo grannies sporting their nekkid breastesses down Main Street.

Korimyr said:
It is a blatant double standard. Men should have to wear clothes when out in public, too.

Yes, but there's a reason for it: women's breasts are considered sexual by societal consensus, men's chests are not. But I will grant you that I've seen plenty of men who really ought to wear a shirt in public, ugh! :mrgreen:

Yes, but there's a reason for it: women's breasts are considered sexual by societal consensus, men's chests are not.

So women who are breastfeeding are molesting their children. Got it. :roll:

I'm glad I live in a sane community. There's a reason I've lived here all my life and will never leave.
When my kids were babies, all I ever wore was a pair of cut-off Dickie overalls with no shirt underneath, and when they were hungry I just unbuckled a strap and whipped out my boob.
Nobody ever thought a thing of it.

Awesome! said:

I don't think drawing arbitrary lines can be considered common sense [decency is subjective].

You concept of "understanding of decency" amuses me. It seems according to your reasoning that existing in a public place without making some effort to hide the existence of parts of yourself (as if rational people couldn't figure out that those parts existed anyway) is not a decent way to treat others...

But using physical force and imprisonment to compel people to hide the existence of parts of themselves so that you can pretend not to realize they exist... that is the decent way to treat others...

You concept of "understanding of decency" amuses me. It seems according to your reasoning that existing in a public place without making some effort to hide the existence of parts of yourself (as if rational people couldn't figure out that those parts existed anyway) is not a decent way to treat others...

But using physical force and imprisonment to compel people to hide the existence of parts of themselves so that you can pretend not to realize they exist... that is the decent way to treat others...

For some reason, I suspect the guy's a foreigner, which is why I haven't come down too hard on him.
21st century enlightenment probably hasn't made it to his village, yet.

I don't think drawing arbitrary lines can be considered common sense [decency is subjective].

It isn't arbitrary. It is based on the collective societal norms.

These change over time. Fifty years ago, a contemporary conservative bikini would have gotten a woman arrested at Miami Beach, and the same for a man in a Speedo. A thong or speedo in the Piggly Wiggly in Podunk SC 200 miles from any beach would cause you to be asked to leave by management (context and inappropriate location).

In the Victorian Era, showing an ankle was considered lewd.

The standard is currently in flux, but it isn't arbitrary: it is based on what most people think is OK in public. Since "the public" is who has to look at it, it is reasonable for "the public" to draw the line.

its a crime because christan fundalmentalist say its a crime oh and evolution is blasphemy. now head to church

its a crime because christan fundalmentalist say its a crime oh and evolution is blasphemy. now head to church

Wow. Deep.

(/irony)

Back
Top Bottom